British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Anyone in Atlanta? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/anyone-atlanta-285179/)

LHR-ATL Feb 18th 2005 4:37 pm

Anyone in Atlanta?

My husband and I are US citizens but we've been living in the London for the last 4 years. We're finally moving back to the states, but I'm getting pretty nervous after reading all of the threads here! I know we're not Brits, but sometimes I don't feel so American anymore either. Well, not like the "American" some of you have described on this board. :scared:

Anyway, we've decided to go back to Atlanta as some of my family has relocated there, although we've never lived there before. I realize that Atlanta is the south, but please, someone give me some good news about the place? I'm beginning to have nightmares of Confederate flags and 4X4's surrounding me! Are there any expats in Atlanta out there?

Lesley1020 Feb 18th 2005 5:10 pm

Re: Anyone in Atlanta?

Originally Posted by LHR-ATL
My husband and I are US citizens but we've been living in the London for the last 4 years. We're finally moving back to the states, but I'm getting pretty nervous after reading all of the threads here! I know we're not Brits, but sometimes I don't feel so American anymore either. Well, not like the "American" some of you have described on this board. :scared:

Anyway, we've decided to go back to Atlanta as some of my family has relocated there, although we've never lived there before. I realize that Atlanta is the south, but please, someone give me some good news about the place? I'm beginning to have nightmares of Confederate flags and 4X4's surrounding me! Are there any expats in Atlanta out there?

Hi there! Well, I'm not in Atlanta, but am in the South.. so figured I would respond...

I live about 20 miles east of Memphis, TN - and it was a HUGE culture shock to me when I came out here - now - I love it. Yes, you are going to come into contact in some way, or at least hear about, some nuts, lol - but overall I don't think its so bad! Guess it depends on where you are, I am sure if you are in some tiny town in Mississipi its gonna be hell on earth, but hey you are moving to a big city!

I had some friends come down from Boston last week and they were cracking all the stereotypical jokes about the South before they arrived - and left saying they were more than pleasantly surprised! I guess they thought everyone would be sitting out on their porches with their straw hats and dungarees, eating catfish and chewing tobacco :rolleyes: Instead, we ate out at Ruth Chris, went shopping at the awesome mall, went to the botanical winter garden, and yea sat out on the porch for a little while hee hee (when it briefly got above 60 degrees).

Hope you like hot summers! :D You'll be fine. Can you bring me some bread please?????? LOL. :D

Bob Feb 18th 2005 5:30 pm

Rincewind, give him a PM if he doesn't see the thread, he's out there at the mo....him and his missus: IluvABrit

Manc Feb 18th 2005 5:33 pm

Re: ?

Anyone in Atlanta?

6 million

Bob Feb 18th 2005 6:12 pm

Re: ?

Originally Posted by Manc
6 million

intelligible?

NC Penguin Feb 18th 2005 7:19 pm

<<snip>>

If you've got some family there, why don't you ask them for an impression of Atlanta and GA?

My spouse has family that lives in the burbs (Kennesaw) just north of Atlanta and the one thing they always mention is the cost of property and the awful traffic in Atlanta.

Just a couple of the reasons why we didn't move there ourselves.

NC Penguin

rincewind Feb 18th 2005 10:34 pm

Been to Atlanta a few times but it's too busy for me.

As for confederate flags and 4X4's, plenty where I am (3 hours south) but Atlanta is like any major city. Different cultures all thrown together.

If you like busy cities, Atlanta is cool. Like all places, it will have it's good and bad sides so I would research on where to actually settle.

I swear there is a user on here that is actually in Atlanta. They may pop up and give a little more.

KarnalEcho Feb 19th 2005 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by rincewind
Been to Atlanta a few times but it's too busy for me.

As for confederate flags and 4X4's, plenty where I am (3 hours south) but Atlanta is like any major city. Different cultures all thrown together.

If you like busy cities, Atlanta is cool. Like all places, it will have it's good and bad sides so I would research on where to actually settle.

I swear there is a user on here that is actually in Atlanta. They may pop up and give a little more.

Judging from the trips I make through Atlanta regularly, I'd say it's the same. Bad drivers, too many drivers but hey you have a Target :D errr two actually :D