Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone adopted a child in the USA?

Anyone adopted a child in the USA?

Old Dec 3rd 2010, 7:22 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone adopted a child in the USA?

The hubster and I are starting the early stages of the adoption process in the US. He's USC I'm LPR - because I havent' lived in the US for 5 years, they need police checks from the other places I lived.

Some of you know I travelled about a bit and lived on yachts before getting married and getting PR in the US. I was based in Gibraltar (sailing the med - Spain portugal and Morocco) and then in Australia (sailing - Aus, Thailand and the pacific isles)

Does anyone know if we have to approach all the countries I visited or not for police checks?

Any insight you can give to adoption in general, I'd be pleased to hear from you!
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 7:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone adopted a child in the USA?

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
The hubster and I are starting the early stages of the adoption process in the US. He's USC I'm LPR - because I havent' lived in the US for 5 years, they need police checks from the other places I lived.

Some of you know I travelled about a bit and lived on yachts before getting married and getting PR in the US. I was based in Gibraltar (sailing the med - Spain portugal and Morocco) and then in Australia (sailing - Aus, Thailand and the pacific isles)

Does anyone know if we have to approach all the countries I visited or not for police checks?

Any insight you can give to adoption in general, I'd be pleased to hear from you!
You started by saying they want police checks from places you lived.

So that would not include places you visited.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 7:55 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
You started by saying they want police checks from places you lived.

So that would not include places you visited.
But, I lived "nowhere" for a couple of years.....
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 7:56 pm
Are we there yet?

To explain more fully - technically I was homeless. I didn't live in the UK, nor did I live in the other places.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 8:11 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

But you must have had a base somewhere? Back in your familys home in UK maybe?
We did a US adoption, but I had already got my USC when we started it. They still wanted to see our citizenship certificates.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 8:17 pm
Are we there yet?

No, I didn't return. I had no address, no keys. Technically homeless.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 8:19 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Did you have an address (friend, family) to which you directed your mail while you were gone?
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 8:33 pm
Are we there yet?

Originally Posted by avanutria
Did you have an address (friend, family) to which you directed your mail while you were gone?
no, I did have British bank accounts though
Old Dec 4th 2010, 12:30 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

no, I did have British bank accounts though
Girl as you know I was off travelling the world as well but still got physical mail, where did all your statements and CC info bills get sent to etc etc....mine went to Mums and some still do lol
Old Dec 4th 2010, 2:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

As this is all state by state based, why not ask the agency what they want to see?
Old Dec 6th 2010, 3:14 pm
Are we there yet?

They want to do police checks.... I had any physical mail forwarded to my cousin who promptly moved from that address and didn't forward my mail - so it was all return to sender.....
Old Dec 6th 2010, 3:17 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

They want to do police checks.... I had any physical mail forwarded to my cousin who promptly moved from that address and didn't forward my mail - so it was all return to sender.....
Dodgy character
Old Dec 6th 2010, 3:27 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Well, as your British bank was trying to send you British bank statements to a British address, I would say that during that time your official residence was in Britain. Unless your passport shows that during that time period you entered another country and stayed there for months, it seems fairly straightforward to me. Alternatively, you can say that you were based in Gibralter and then Australia for your time travelling, and get police checks for those two countries.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 4:50 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hon, you said you were based in Gib; use the company office there and simply explain the situation. Won't the agency help you with this? Or perhaps people usually get lawyers to help with adoptions?

There was a story here recently about a family who'd adopted a girl of Mexican origin. Her mother had snuck her over the border as an infant and subsequently lost custody/parental rights.
So the adoption goes through, and the adopting parents rely on the information given to them by the state agency. The girl turns 18, and then a bit, and through trying to collect her documents for one mundane thing or another, discover that the girl is NOT a US citizen like everyone thought.

The agency did not complete the paperwork and neither did the parents and DHS, I kid you not, put this girl in removal proceedings.

Stuff like that would make me want my own lawyer to review and assist.