Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anybody know?

Anybody know?

Old Aug 24th 2009, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody know?

Originally Posted by FortyTwo25
Ok, so I done some research and have found that this Btec will not get me anywhere. Even the university that is in partnership with the college will not accept it!

I quote 'Vocational qualifications (i.e AVCE and BTEC National Diplomas) and non-XX Foundation Degrees are not accepted.'

Despite that, I have to do this course as I practically begged them for the place. If I was to get maximum points there would be a limit on the amount of universities I'd be able to apply for as the higher you go on the University Rankings League Table the more the requirements.

1 Btec ND(highest being 360 Ucas points/DDD) is equal to 3 A-Levels.

For example, for Psychology, Oxford want 3 A-Levels at grade A whereas a lesser known university wants 280 UCAS points from a BTEC ND in a related area, minimum DMM with at least 6 merits in the final year, excluding common skills. Although they are 'equivalent' if I were to apply for Oxford with 360 points from a Btec I wouldn't get a look in.

If I was to do the standard qualifications (A-Levels) after the two years it would be even more time wasted. I guess I should just try to get into somewhere half decent with the Btec and go from there.

I will definitely look into the transfer scheme as I know many universities don't participate in it, now to find one that does.

Edinburgh has a fantastic array of programs to go to the US, I can tell you that. I can also tell you that St Andrews does too, and it has a very, very good psychology department. Additionally both are great places to live. I'm not sure what the entry requirements are these days. Probably not far off 3 A's for St Andrews for psychology, unfortunately.

You don't need to go to Oxford. There are other good universities. But you don't want to settle for mediocrity either. That won't help you in trying to get to the US. There are a lot of UK universities that just aren't up to par.
It may very well be that you need to ditch this course and do your A-levels. That's worth considering.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

FortyTwo25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by caleyjag
Edinburgh has a fantastic array of programs to go to the US, I can tell you that. I can also tell you that St Andrews does too, and it has a very, very good psychology department. Additionally both are great places to live. I'm not sure what the entry requirements are these days. Probably not far off 3 A's for St Andrews for psychology, unfortunately.

You don't need to go to Oxford. There are other good universities. But you don't want to settle for mediocrity either. That won't help you in trying to get to the US. There are a lot of UK universities that just aren't up to par.
It may very well be that you need to ditch this course and do your A-levels. That's worth considering.
St Andrews is third on the list behind Oxford and Cambridge. I will continue to go down the list and find something more suitable to me. I could do A-levels after I finish the course or something. Maybe.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 6:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I will definitely look into the transfer scheme as I know many universities don't participate in it, now to find one that does.
You can still arrange your own though...
Old Aug 24th 2009, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
You can still arrange your own though...
Old Aug 24th 2009, 7:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Just ask the uni you want a sandwich uni, get in contact with a uni that does a program your interested in and chances are they might have someone interested in exchanging for a year.

A mate of mine did just that to spend a year at Sydney Tech for a year.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
Just ask the uni you want a sandwich uni, get in contact with a uni that does a program your interested in and chances are they might have someone interested in exchanging for a year.

A mate of mine did just that to spend a year at Sydney Tech for a year.
Oh right, I never knew that. Thank you.

Re: St Andrews.

They require AAB grades for A Levels in no set subjects which is a little easier. After I complete this course I will apply to study there as they say this:-

'The School of Psychology is eager to encourage applications from as wide a range of people as possible, and if you have non-standard qualifications we will be happy to advise on their acceptability.'

which is great if they don't accept me then I'll take A-levels in 2011.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Oh right, I never knew that. Thank you.

Re: St Andrews.

They require AAB grades for A Levels in no set subjects which is a little easier. After I complete this course I will apply to study there as they say this:-

'The School of Psychology is eager to encourage applications from as wide a range of people as possible, and if you have non-standard qualifications we will be happy to advise on their acceptability.'

which is great if they don't accept me then I'll take A-levels in 2011.

I'm telling you man, St Andrews is the place! Probably the best university in terms of character that I have been associated with so far in my career.....

Anyway, I would NEVER ever recommend organizing your own year abroad when you are in a position to go to a UK university that has it all set up already.

Firstly, cost. If you set it up yourself, you'll have to pay fees. This is what the majority of yanks do through Boston University and such and they get shafted. It's a joke.

If you went to, for example, Edinburgh, they have an entire International Office set up which coordinates all the exchange programs, and it is done in a manner in which you will not have to pay through the nose - the US fees are waived. Moreover, they take care of all the paperwork, sort you out with dorm housing.... it's the way to go.

This will all be detailed in my article. I'll make sure to broaden the scope from just Edinburgh and St Andrews..... it's just that those are the ones I experienced first hand and they are top notch launch pads for someone keen to check out the US.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

There are other ways too - I know a lot of clinical research professionals who work internationally, including the US. They have varied backgrounds, from nursing to plain science degrees, and then go work at a medical device or pharmaceutical company. The big companies in these field all have offices in Australasia, Europe, US and are prepared to transfer their staff around on L visas.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by augigi
There are other ways too - I know a lot of clinical research professionals who work internationally, including the US. They have varied backgrounds, from nursing to plain science degrees, and then go work at a medical device or pharmaceutical company. The big companies in these field all have offices in Australasia, Europe, US and are prepared to transfer their staff around on L visas.
Well, that's my gig now -pharma. But you'd struggle to get a job at my place with a psychology degree, so the OP needs a modified strategy. Anyway, let's get them to uni first and then onto a year abroad program. Baby steps! The L1 is WAY down the line!
Old Aug 25th 2009, 5:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

People can arrange things themselves and get fee's waived, it not really, they just pay their uni and who they swap does the same, it's usually how it's done, or get ERAMUS to sort out the fees so it's not really a problem.

The problem with relying on a uni having a program themselves, whilst very easy and convenient, they might just not be partnered up with a very good uni...my old one had great links to Delft, Milan and one in Brussels but also not a great one that was popular being in San Fran.

Anyway, I would NEVER ever recommend organizing your own year abroad when you are in a position to go to a UK university that has it all set up already.

Firstly, cost. If you set it up yourself, you'll have to pay fees. This is what the majority of yanks do through Boston University and such and they get shafted. It's a joke.

If you went to, for example, Edinburgh, they have an entire International Office set up which coordinates all the exchange programs, and it is done in a manner in which you will not have to pay through the nose - the US fees are waived. Moreover, they take care of all the paperwork, sort you out with dorm housing.... it's the way to go.

This will all be detailed in my article. I'll make sure to broaden the scope from just Edinburgh and St Andrews..... it's just that those are the ones I experienced first hand and they are top notch launch pads for someone keen to check out the US.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
People can arrange things themselves and get fee's waived, it not really, they just pay their uni and who they swap does the same, it's usually how it's done, or get ERAMUS to sort out the fees so it's not really a problem.

The problem with relying on a uni having a program themselves, whilst very easy and convenient, they might just not be partnered up with a very good uni...my old one had great links to Delft, Milan and one in Brussels but also not a great one that was popular being in San Fran.
OK, I wasn't aware of people getting fees waived when doing it themselves. That's interesting and something I will look into for my own interest.

I'm presuming you don't mean Berkeley or Stanford. San Francisco State? Spent a summer working there. It's a bit humdrum. A commuter school. Kinda boring campus. BUT it's in San Francisco, and you just can't argue with that.

The OP has so much time they can check out the exchange programs organized by universities before they even fill out their UCAS form. If organizing it yourself is as easy and affordable as you say, then perhaps the OP should just stick to aiming for whatever university has the best courses for what they want to do.

When I was a spotty 18 year old I don't think I would have been able to sort out an exchange program to a good US school. Having a bunch of friendly experts on campus (Edinburgh's International Office) made it very easy. They guided us through everything. It was an excellent service.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

You've been given good advice so far which is great.

I'm now intrigued to see where you end up, you'll have to come back here with regular updates!

Here's a linky to the North American exchange programme at St A's for 09/10:

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/No...0Sept%2008.pdf

I'll leave it to others to comment on the universities offered there, but they have places at some good schools such as Purdue and W&M and Penn.

and here for Edinburgh Uni, again some great schools listed:

http://www.international.ed.ac.uk/exchanges/search.html
Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I'm presuming you don't mean Berkeley or Stanford. San Francisco State? Spent a summer working there. It's a bit humdrum. A commuter school. Kinda boring campus. BUT it's in San Francisco, and you just can't argue with that.
It was State...when coming from a world class design department and exchanging with other world class design departments, San Fran course was really shit, but no one went for the course but the experience of spending a semester or two in San Fran

And organising things yourself can only be easier these days, back when I was at uni it wasn't as popular to do and uni websites were pretty shit, some still are, but they've improved, so has the ability to find people you'd want to chat with, industrial liaisons officer, head of department that kind of thing as they'll know who will want to do an exchange. It can be time consuming, but it's certainly fairly doable, especially with the aid of ERASMUS and the logistics aren't as difficult as they used to be, just time consuming
Old Aug 25th 2009, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
You've been given good advice so far which is great.

I'm now intrigued to see where you end up, you'll have to come back here with regular updates!

Here's a linky to the North American exchange programme at St A's for 09/10:

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/No...0Sept%2008.pdf

I'll leave it to others to comment on the universities offered there, but they have places at some good schools such as Purdue and W&M and Penn.

and here for Edinburgh Uni, again some great schools listed:

http://www.international.ed.ac.uk/exchanges/search.html
Thank you very much for the links.

I have dropped the BTEC(unofficially I'm supposed to enrol Thursday) and applied for A-Levels in Human Biology, Psychology, English Language and Sociology(which I plan to drop) I applied online and just sent it over now the classes start September 8th so we shall see I'll be sure to keep you all updated. Thank you to all thread contributors.

Last edited by FortyTwo25; Aug 25th 2009 at 11:29 pm. Reason: Oh the irony ha!
Old Aug 30th 2009, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

If anybody could give me the type of companies I would be looking at to make use of the degree I'd be grateful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.