Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anybody know?

Anybody know?

Old Aug 30th 2009, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

mekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nice
Default Re: Anybody know?

Hi, Some of this advice seems so to do with class and getting to the right university to get here. This is simply not true in my case - I went back to uni and after many years gained a PhD from a 'ordinary' new university and had two job offers seven years ago and obtained a H1B visa and now have my green card. Most americans know little about the education system in england and why should they - there are many routes here so do not be disheartened after my initial thoughts about coming here it took years and i lived my life but when the opportunity came around i was there.
good luck - it's not a bed of roses here by any means but enjoy the experiences.
Julia
Old Aug 31st 2009, 3:01 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mekadag
Hi, Some of this advice seems so to do with class and getting to the right university to get here. This is simply not true in my case - I went back to uni and after many years gained a PhD from a 'ordinary' new university and had two job offers seven years ago and obtained a H1B visa and now have my green card. Most americans know little about the education system in england and why should they - there are many routes here so do not be disheartened after my initial thoughts about coming here it took years and i lived my life but when the opportunity came around i was there.
good luck - it's not a bed of roses here by any means but enjoy the experiences.
Julia
You weren't trying to get a job in forensics though were you, where generally the jobs are government based?

Makes a big difference.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

FortyTwo25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Erm Í'll try again...If anybody could give me the type of companies I would be looking at to make use of the degree I'd be grateful.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 12:51 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FortyTwo25
Erm Í'll try again...If anybody could give me the type of companies I would be looking at to make use of the degree I'd be grateful.
What degree are we talking now? Forensics, psychology, or something else? Sorry I got a bit confused.

I think "Big Pharma" (what they call the major pharmaceutical companies) are often hiring, and there are also some interesting biotech companies developing doing some genetic research (Gentech, Human Genome Sciences, Celera). Those would be companies large and rich enough to sponsor, and some even have offices in the UK so you can enter there and seek a transfer
Old Aug 31st 2009, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by penguinsix
What degree are we talking now? Forensics, psychology, or something else? Sorry I got a bit confused.

I think "Big Pharma" (what they call the major pharmaceutical companies) are often hiring, and there are also some interesting biotech companies developing doing some genetic research (Gentech, Human Genome Sciences, Celera). Those would be companies large and rich enough to sponsor, and some even have offices in the UK so you can enter there and seek a transfer
Sorry, Psychology
Old Aug 31st 2009, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix

Wrong.

The big pharmas are shitting themselves right now over Obama's healthcare reforms, and the big ones not only have hiring freezes, but are actively shedding staff.

However the parts about them being rich enough to sponsor and having offices in the UK are accurate.

However the OP is so young that by the time he/she graduates, the landscape in pharma will look a lot different.

Incidetnally, my big-pharma lab is very hi-tech. I was thinking today that it does look like something out of CSI!
Old Aug 31st 2009, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Ok so no..thanks I'll figure it out hopefully Google is my friend
Old Aug 31st 2009, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

This might help:

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos056.htm#emply

I don't know what the others think, but looking through the list of typical employers for psychologists it doesn't look like the kind of job where you could get a visa very easily.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
This might help:

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos056.htm#emply

I don't know what the others think, but looking through the list of typical employers for psychologists it doesn't look like the kind of job where you could get a visa very easily.
Hmm thanks it seems your right
Old Aug 31st 2009, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are a bit early in the game to be worrying about employers.

My gut feeling is that an education in psychology is probably the wrong way to go if you want to be going for an H1b visa, which is what it sounds like.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by caleyjag

My gut feeling is that an education in psychology is probably the wrong way to go if you want to be going for an H1b visa, which is what it sounds like.
So your suggestion is something along the lines of Microbiology? etc
Old Aug 31st 2009, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FortyTwo25
So your suggestion is something along the lines of Microbiology? etc
I'm not Caleyjag, but I think you shouldn't pick your education based on what might get you into the USA. I think you should pick something you want to do, and would be happy doing in the UK. If there turns out to be a path to another country, worry about that later. That's what I did - I had no plans to move to the US, but in grad school I happened to acquire skills and expertise that a US research lab needed when I was looking for my next move.

As for microbiology specfically, IMHO the only way to a visa would be with a Ph.D. and a good publication record. I doubt many American hospitals and diagnostic labs are looking abroad for candidates to fill routine staff positions.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bill_S
I'm not Caleyjag, but I think you shouldn't pick your education based on what might get you into the USA. I think you should pick something you want to do, and would be happy doing in the UK. If there turns out to be a path to another country, worry about that later. That's what I did - I had no plans to move to the US, but in grad school I happened to acquire skills and expertise that a US research lab needed when I was looking for my next move.

As for microbiology specfically, IMHO the only way to a visa would be with a Ph.D. and a good publication record. I doubt many American hospitals and diagnostic labs are looking abroad for candidates to fill routine staff positions.
Exactly. A deep, intrinsic interest in what you are studying is critical. I am including all of this in my article (half-written at the moment).

Publication record is something that is critical for some jobs (academic, gov research) but can be irrlevant in others, where it's really your technical expertise they are after (many areas of industry). I'm addressing all of this in my article.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Ok fair enough. I'll stick with the Psychology and hope that it brings me to the USA in years to come if it doesn't then I'll move somewhere else.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 7:15 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag

I've heard American students express the opinion that a (US) undergraduate degree in psychology is the basic qualification for a job at McDonald's.

But of course, if you subsequently pursue a masters and PhD in psychology, you may well get a job in academia via the H1B route, training future McDonald's employees.

(said only semi-tongue-in-cheek)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.