Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anybody here in SW Florida

Anybody here in SW Florida

Old Oct 30th 2017, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

petepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Anybody here in SW Florida

Hi folks,

Last time I posted on this forum, it was the Canadian sub-forum back around 2009 when I was moving to Canada. I moved back to the UK two years later when my visa expired.

I'm now fortunate enough to be in a position to do another internal transfer, this time to Fort Myers in Florida. The move is likely to be January 2018.

I was wondering if anybody lives in Southwest Florida on the forums? My company is not providing much in the way of relocation package as I pursued the move myself. My biggest concern is around temporary accommodation, and I was wondering if anybody was familiar with the area and the options available for newly arriving expats.

Is the view on limited/no credit history the same in relaxed Florida as it is everywhere else? I assume it is, but with the amount of vacation rentals on offer perhaps there are more opportunities for short term leases whilst I figure out areas, budget etc?

Look forward to hearing from you all. Glad to be back on BE! You'll see many more posts from me.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

bearclaire1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anybody here in SW Florida

Originally Posted by petepete99 View Post
Hi folks,

Last time I posted on this forum, it was the Canadian sub-forum back around 2009 when I was moving to Canada. I moved back to the UK two years later when my visa expired.

I'm now fortunate enough to be in a position to do another internal transfer, this time to Fort Myers in Florida. The move is likely to be January 2018.

I was wondering if anybody lives in Southwest Florida on the forums? My company is not providing much in the way of relocation package as I pursued the move myself. My biggest concern is around temporary accommodation, and I was wondering if anybody was familiar with the area and the options available for newly arriving expats.

Is the view on limited/no credit history the same in relaxed Florida as it is everywhere else? I assume it is, but with the amount of vacation rentals on offer perhaps there are more opportunities for short term leases whilst I figure out areas, budget etc?

Look forward to hearing from you all. Glad to be back on BE! You'll see many more posts from me.
Hi,

I was recently looking into moving to Naples, but hubby's company said we had to be in GA. The company I currently work for has their HO in Naples, so know the place really well. I have heard a lot of Fort Meyers can be hit or miss, and you really do need to check out the areas in depth as they do have a lot of crime.

Temporary accommodation will be plentiful/reasonably priced but only Mid April to end of Oct. "Snowbird season which is Nov- Easter" during this time hotels and condos will be extortionate for short term less than 6 months. Have a look on Airbnb.

Also have a look on City-data for the area too.

Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Forum - Lee County - City-Data Forum

Good thing about Florida is there is no State tax :-)

https://smartasset.com/taxes/florida...eck-calculator

Not sure if you have kids, but Naples has some of the highest rated schools and the class sizes are around 15.

Last edited by bearclaire1; Oct 30th 2017 at 4:17 pm. Reason: spelling and grammer
Old Oct 30th 2017, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

petepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bearclaire1 View Post
Hi,

I was recently looking into moving to Naples, but hubby's company said we had to be in GA. The company I currently work for has their HO in Naples, so know the place really well. I have heard a lot of Fort Meyers can be hit or miss, and you really do need to check out the areas in depth as they do have a lot of crime.

Temporary accommodation will be plentiful/reasonably priced but only Mid April to end of Oct. "Snowbird season which is Nov- Easter" during this time hotels and condos will be extortionate for short term less than 6 months. Have a look on Airbnb.

Also have a look on City-data for the area too.

Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Forum - Lee County - City-Data Forum

https://smartasset.com/taxes/florida...eck-calculator

Not sure if you have kids, but Naples has some of the highest rated schools and the class sizes are around 15.
Thanks for that info. Yes, I did see that there appears to be a high crime-rate in Fort Myers. Not sure if it's mainly gang-related or otherwise? I've looked at airbnb and seen that prices have jumped significantly. Looks like I'm moving at one of the worst possible times!

Naples does appeal to me, but I'm a single guy (with no kids) so the social aspect of being closer to the office in Fort Myers, is quite appealing. The company that I'm working for, Gartner, is one of Ft Myers' largest employers and many people live either there or in Estero.

I might be better off going down the shared accommodation route on Craigslist
Old Oct 30th 2017, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

bearclaire1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that info. Yes, I did see that there appears to be a high crime-rate in Fort Myers. Not sure if it's mainly gang-related or otherwise? I've looked at airbnb and seen that prices have jumped significantly. Looks like I'm moving at one of the worst possible times!

Naples does appeal to me, but I'm a single guy (with no kids) so the social aspect of being closer to the office in Fort Myers, is quite appealing. The company that I'm working for, Gartner, is one of Ft Myers' largest employers and many people live either there or in Estero.

I might be better off going down the shared accommodation route on Craigslist
Naples might not be best suited then but let me ask my friend about best places to live for a single guy. How old are you, if you don’t mind me asking? Might help narrow down...
Old Oct 30th 2017, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Naples might not be best suited then but let me ask my friend about best places to live for a single guy. How old are you, if you don’t mind me asking? Might help narrow down...
Thanks. I'm going to be 33 next month.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 5:06 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Most people in Naples will probably be twice your age minimum then
Old Oct 30th 2017, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
Lucky me
Old Oct 30th 2017, 6:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
Yup...most of my husband’s partners retired to Naples for endless rounds of golf
Old Oct 30th 2017, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Tampa would be better, I would think.

Much of the West coast of Florida is small town.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 8:26 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I have heard a lot of Fort Meyers can be hit or miss, and you really do need to check out the areas in depth as they do have a lot of crime.
The City of Ft. Myers is quite large. My sister has lived there for several years and yes, there are always areas of any large city that has a higher degree of crime than other areas. These areas are usually in the city proper and for Ft. Myers that is over the causeway going in Ft. Myers proper.

The urban sprawl of Ft. Myers is relatively crime free and housing appears to be mostly gated community which is the complete opposite of housing found in the city proper.

There are many single family homes for rent in the above mentioned gated communities. They are expensive, however, such as the one next to my sister's house. It is owned by a doctor who was urged to move to another gated community where the majority of doctors in his practice and the hospital live. They could not sell their place because they bought high and real estate has dropped so the house is rented out. It is not rented to snowbirds and the leases must be for one year as per the rules of the HOA.

It does have a high property tax.

Naples is a rich town with a high percentage of waterfront condos catering to the wealthy. My daughter lived there for two years in the late 90's and I loved visiting and going to Clam Beach and to the seaside restaurants. It is comprised of seasonal residents and the retirement community. Hence the reason why classroom size is so small and the quality of teachers so good is because of the high property taxes.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 8:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Check out Bonita Springs, Cape Coral for housing units. These are small communities and far more affordable then Naples or parts of Ft. Myers.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey View Post
Tampa would be better, I would think.

Much of the West coast of Florida is small town.
To be fair to Fort Myers it doesn't have too bad a (violent) crime rate when compared to Florida as a whole. I'm just south of Tampa in an area that is 3 on the 100 scale, meaning that it is in the top 3% of the most violent cities in the US, Fort Myers scrapes in at the 10% mark and whilst Tampa has an 18 score it has some proper rough areas too!! The trick is to pick an area that isn't a shithole and try to avoid entering it - great trick for the later in life rose coloured spectacle view of a nation at peace with itself...

There are a lot of distances between 'cities' on the West coast, but whilst they may not be as large as Atlanta there are a reasonable number here. Admittedly there's not much south of Naples (except for gators) and not much north of Clearwater (except for rednecks) but Naples, Fort Myers, Venice, Sarasota, Bradenton, Tampa, St. Petersburg and Clearwater qualify at least as large towns and each have their 'charms'.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Adding to the above: the West coast is generally viewed by the rest of the country as God's waiting room and are probably not the most interesting places for those with young families. At the OP's age, with kids, I'd avoid Naples, Fort Myers and Punta Gorda. Sarasota and Tampa are fairly safe bets but it really does depend upon what you like, I find Sarasota a tad on the snobbish side and like it's much gritter neighbours of Bradenton and Palmetto - again all relatively speaking as I'd rather poke my eyes out with a hot poker than live in a town, nice to hang out in and then beat a hasty retreat to the neighbouring countryside in the wee small hours.

Personally if I had the choice I wouldn't choose to live in Florida but beggars, choosers etc.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 9:11 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Yup...most of my husband’s partners retired to Naples for endless rounds of golf
Yup my Aunt and her husband too
Old Oct 31st 2017, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies all. My offices are based in Fort Myers, so I would really be limited to that area. I don't want to have a long commute, 30 mins max, I would say, so Cape Coral and North Naples are probably my limits in both directions. Certainly not entertaining the idea of Tampa or Sarasota!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.