Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anybody here have family that will refuse to visit US due to gun fears?

Anybody here have family that will refuse to visit US due to gun fears?

Old Dec 23rd 2014, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody here have family that will refuse to visit US due to gun fears?

Originally Posted by Hotscot
It's very amusing how Johnny Boy pretends to have experience of American life...
Troll pure and simple but he gets what he wants.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 6:24 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody here have family that will refuse to visit US due to gun fears?

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Troll pure and simple but he gets what he wants.
Well, it is Christmas
Old Dec 24th 2014, 4:56 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I do know 2 people struck by lightening.
I've been struck by lightning and a second time I had a very near miss which fried some of the equipment I was using.

Okay I'm exaggerating a bit, the first time I was sitting in a car when the lightning hit.

Last edited by Steve_; Dec 24th 2014 at 5:06 am.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 5:04 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Speaking of local range...what's the going rate?

There's a new one opening up nearby, but it's $400 initiation fee and then $200 a year membership for the basic one. You get storage space and the like for a bit more.

Seemed a little excessive. There's a guest fee if you're with a member to shoot.
Mass. has lots of gun laws plus I'm willing to bet the insurance and rent is way higher around Boston than in most parts of the country so it's hard to compare.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Massachusetts
Old Dec 24th 2014, 6:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Speaking of local range...what's the going rate?

There's a new one opening up nearby, but it's $400 initiation fee and then $200 a year membership for the basic one. You get storage space and the like for a bit more.

Seemed a little excessive. There's a guest fee if you're with a member to shoot.
Local rate at the one range we have in town is $100 for residents, and $150 for non-residents per year.

They have a cap on how many members they are allowed, so not easy to become a member because of this, and any new member has to be sponsored for membership by an existing member in good standing.

Currently they are not accepting new member applications, its the only shooting range in the area and with most of the urban area's no longer having ranges, its put pressure on the local range here hence why they cap membership.

The town also requires that 51% of members be local residents.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 8:21 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

I a, british by birth, and am seriously into target shooting. I love the americans for some gun stuff, but there is surely a slightly scary element. Reds bar and rifle range in austin tx is a most excellent place to test a 12 bore with solid shot vs an ar15 for accuracy (inward guaging gives the bigger holes an advantage :-)

I know a man with a machine gun range and huge peach farm down the road in tx, from a ww1 lewis to a vickers to a tommygun with snail magazine (waist held grass cutter) to a minigun tree pruner, he has it all, makes silencers as a hobby. Nice people. Safe too apparently, we left the guns on the range and drove a few miles to his house for lunch, he said nobody would touch them, and they are his seriously expensive assets.

But you know that a proportion of cars have guns in them, and that there are some scary people who are allowed to keep them because nobody checks their suitability so there is an element of fear sometimes for those who do think about it.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

I went to Detroit last year for a couple of days and I'm still here to tell the tale! I actually quite liked the place aswel.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 4:40 pm
Account Closed

johnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewlohnes
I went to Detroit last year for a couple of days and I'm still here to tell the tale! I actually quite liked the place aswel.
Your a brave man andrewlohnes.

I think it is having a better year it doesn't seem to be as sadistic this year murders are down but that doesn't mean anything really one person died in that shooting of the teens not 4 that has happened a few times victims have lived last year more victims died with similar numbers of shootings. But that shooting of the teens seems to be random. Dozens of serial rapists running around apparently they finally tested their rape kits and make that discovery. There is a still a lot of bad stuff going on lets see what next year brings.

Last edited by johnnybrown532; Dec 24th 2014 at 4:48 pm.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Old Dec 24th 2014, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnybrown532
I would go anywhere in America but detroit.
You should check out Camden, NJ when you're over
Old Dec 24th 2014, 11:01 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

This is a great article on the subject, assuming someone who eventually finds this post is actually in a similar situation. It's from the BBC America former editor Justin Webb on the paradox of guns and 'safety' in the USA:

BBC NEWS | Programmes | From Our Own Correspondent | America's 'safety catch'
Old Dec 24th 2014, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
This is a great article on the subject, assuming someone who eventually finds this post is actually in a similar situation. It's from the BBC America former editor Justin Webb on the paradox of guns and 'safety' in the USA:

BBC NEWS | Programmes | From Our Own Correspondent | America's 'safety catch'
Kind of a weird article. I don't agree about the feeling of safety between the two countries.

You may not see young people drunk in public so much in the US but they are still getting drunk.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

johnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retzie
You should check out Camden, NJ when you're over
I just might if that ship pops into detroit for a little stop off first before hitting nyc I am cancelling this trip right now!
Old Dec 24th 2014, 11:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Kind of a weird article. I don't agree about the feeling of safety between the two countries.

You may not see young people drunk in public so much in the US but they are still getting drunk.
Young people under 21 risk getting arrested if caught drunk in public in the US, so they have to drink elsewhere to avoid this. Obviously over 21 can also get arrested for drunk in public, but if not causing trouble over 21 likely just get a warning and sent on their way, but under 21 cops are not as nice.
Old Dec 25th 2014, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

My husband spent the last two years building a hotel in the south side of Chicago, and during that time there were two gun murders on the street where he was building.

I still didn't really consider there any particular risk of him getting shot. Must be finally turning into a 'Murican.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.