Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anybody in cleveland, ohio?

Anybody in cleveland, ohio?

Old Mar 19th 2009, 11:41 pm
Just Joined

medici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud of
Default Anybody in cleveland, ohio?

Hi

Anybody who can provide advice about good, safe areas to rent reasonable priced apartments?

Thanks
Old Mar 20th 2009, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody in cleveland, ohio?

Originally Posted by medici786
Hi

Anybody who can provide advice about good, safe areas to rent reasonable priced apartments?

Thanks
Where in the Cleveland area are you interested in living? Downtown, East side, West side, south?
Old Mar 20th 2009, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

I see from another thread that you're an MD. At which hospital will you be working? I live in Cleveland Heights, about 10 min from the Clinic and UH.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 12:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I know of a place that is available to rent in Rocky River. Not top class but in a nice area, good access to the highways and not very expensive.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

medici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud of

Hi guys thanks for your comments.

I'll be working in Casewestern metrohealth.

I also have 2 kids so looking for decent schooling.

I' ve heard downtown is rough so probably want to avoid living there. I've heard Parma is affordable and decent area, with good schools.

Westlakes seems really nice but too expensive on my resident salary!!

Any ideas about buying foreclosed homes?

Thanks

BTW: my home city is Glasgow.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 3:34 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Like Bill said, Cleveland Heights. I'll also throw in Garfield Heights, Lakewood and Fairview too. I'm way out on the east side up in Willoughby.

Not sure about apartments in those areas. Plenty of them up here on the east side, but getting to downtown from out here in the morning is a royal PITA
Old Mar 20th 2009, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi guys thanks for your comments.

I'll be working in Casewestern metrohealth.

I also have 2 kids so looking for decent schooling.

I' ve heard downtown is rough so probably want to avoid living there. I've heard Parma is affordable and decent area, with good schools.

Westlakes seems really nice but too expensive on my resident salary!!

Any ideas about buying foreclosed homes?

Thanks

BTW: my home city is Glasgow.
Do you mean that you'll be working at MetroHealth Medical Center? Quite a coincidence... that's where I work.

Renting downtown would be fine if you were single, not a good choice if you have young kids. How old are the kids?

The area right around MetroHealth isn't so hot, so I'd rule that out. Westlake is very nice, but expensive. Rocky River, as suggested by Duncan, would be a good choice. Paul had good suggestions as well, but I must say I'm not that wild about Lakewood (very densely populated, lots of long streets with houses crammed close together; plenty of bars, though).

If you're thinking about buying, what would be your price range. There are LOTS of houses for sale throughout the Cleveland area right now. You could get a good deal without having to look at foreclosures.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

wow..that is a coincidence!!!

I'll be working in the dept of medicine there!

Where do you work? Maybe we'll bump into each other?

I was planning to rent for a few months and then look for houses, any good estate agents you can recommend mate?

cheers
Old Mar 20th 2009, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

wow..that is a coincidence!!!

I'll be working in the dept of medicine there!

Where do you work? Maybe we'll bump into each other?

I was planning to rent for a few months and then look for houses, any good estate agents you can recommend mate?

cheers
I work in the research building; I'm a Ph.D. rather than an M.D.
I'll try to come up with the name of a real estate agent for you.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard Parma is affordable and decent area, with good schools.
You heard wrong! It's huge so there is affordability there but I personally don't think it's decen and the schools are not great.

You'll quickly find that there is a pretty big East v West vibe in Cleveland. In general the westsiders think the west side is great and the east side sucks and the eastsiders think the east side is great and west side sucks. I'm on the west side but I also think the east side is good. From my point of view, in general the east side is old money, quite diverse and interesting, the west side is new money, not that diverse and quite cookie cutter. Unfortunately schooling will be your problem, there are good schools around but they are not super close to where you're working.

Rocky River is a great area in my opinion, very good schools, interesting and very easy access to places. Westlake is good too, just round the corner from me, and Avon where I live is good. You also have Avon Lake and Bay Village that are worth a look. All those are west side. Estate agents are called realtors here and they are an interesting bunch. Can't really recommend any though. The place I mentioned in Rocky River is available (I know the owners), 2 bedroom but no AC or dishwasher. Pretty basic really but I used to live there and it did me for a couple of years! The downside you face in general is that doing a short term rental may not be an option. If it is it may be at a premium. There are so many places available to buy and rent though people may be getting desperate.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
You heard wrong! It's huge so there is affordability there but I personally don't think it's decen and the schools are not great.

You'll quickly find that there is a pretty big East v West vibe in Cleveland. In general the westsiders think the west side is great and the east side sucks and the eastsiders think the east side is great and west side sucks. I'm on the west side but I also think the east side is good. From my point of view, in general the east side is old money, quite diverse and interesting, the west side is new money, not that diverse and quite cookie cutter. Unfortunately schooling will be your problem, there are good schools around but they are not super close to where you're working.
I knew someone would be hating on Parma before long
It wouldn't be my first choice either... a rather bland, unattractive suburb IMHO.

To medici - the East side/West side thing is something that the natives get riled up about, but it's really much ado about nothing. East or West is relative to the Cuyahoga river, btw. Most of the artsy institutions are on the East side... Case Western is East, MetroHeath is West. There are nice places to live on both sides of the river. Incidentally, there are some very attractive neighborhoods in Cleveland proper (eg. West Park) but the Cleveland schools are pretty lousy.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks folks, appreciate ur thoughts.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:21 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I have family that live in the west side of Cleveland. Rocky River and Westlake seem like nice areas to live. Lots of families and I believe the City of Cleveland requires police and fireman to live within the city limits and there's quite a number of those professionals living on the west side of the city.

If you're originally from Glasgow, I suppose you won't have a problem with the Cleveland winters.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers
Sent you a Private Message about an estate agent.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

glemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of light

Greetings and welcome to Cleveland,
I've been here for five years ( and even Parma isnt that bad....).
I moved here from Chicago, rented initially in Sagamore Hills as I worked then in Brecksville. Brecksville has some reasonable rentals (a fact that is not widely advetised) and good schools. I'm now in the Independence area.
Enjoy where ever you decide to go.

Also the winters arent that bad.................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.