British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Any UK trained psychologists working in New York (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/any-uk-trained-psychologists-working-new-york-870302/)

I like tea Jan 8th 2016 10:01 am

Any UK trained psychologists working in New York

My daughter who is a UK trained psychologist working currently in the NHS with neuro patients is planning to relocate to New York in April with her partner.

What are the likelyhood of her securing employment ? She thinks she will have to sit an exam ? or there any other means of her becoming registered ?

In the eventuality of her not being able to work as a psychologist what other avenues could she peruse eg. research, working for a charity.

Any advice would be welcomed.
Thanking you
Helen

old.sparkles Jan 8th 2016 10:04 am

Re: Any UK trained psychologists working in New York

Hi there :)

I've moved this over to the USA section as you had posted in the Australia section.

mikelincs Jan 8th 2016 11:04 am

Originally Posted by I like tea (Post 11831559)
My daughter who is a UK trained psychologist working currently in the NHS with neuro patients is planning to relocate to New York in April with her partner.

What are the likelyhood of her securing employment ? She thinks she will have to sit an exam ? or there any other means of her becoming registered ?

In the eventuality of her not being able to work as a psychologist what other avenues could she peruse eg. research, working for a charity.

Any advice would be welcomed.
Thanking you
Helen

Wht visa will she be getting? or is her partner a US citizen? This is the most vital thing to be sorted out first. She will almost certainly have to convince the authorities that oversee her profession in New York as all states will have their own set of rules etc. but there must be some information on-line, try a google search.

Noorah101 Jan 8th 2016 2:43 pm

We need to know what visa her partner is getting. Are they married? Without being married, she won't get any kind of dependent visa at all. If they are married, then her ability to work in the USA will depend on what visa her spouse is getting. Some dependent visas allow work, and some don't.

Rene

Pulaski Jan 8th 2016 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 11831770)
..... Without being married, she won't get any kind of dependent visa at all. .....

B-2 cohabitating partner? .... But that does not permit working, ever.

Noorah101 Jan 8th 2016 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11831773)
B-2 cohabitating partner? .... But that does not permit working, ever.

B-2 is not really a dependent visa, IMO. It's a visa given based on her own merit. More likely to be granted because of cohabitation, yes. And you are right, no work allowed.

Rene

I like tea Jan 9th 2016 5:44 am

Thank you for your replies. I am unsure what visa her partner will be getting so need to clarify that first. It seems as if they are very strict about working in the USA I think it's going to be a stressful time for her.

rpjs Jan 9th 2016 12:32 pm

I remember a similar query a few months back and replied with some advice from my sister-in-law who is a newly qualified in NYS psychologist. I'm on my phone on a train so can't find the exact details currently but OP could search the board for "psychologist" and I'm sure it'd come up.

Pulaski Jan 9th 2016 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 11832565)
I remember a similar query a few months back and replied with some advice from my sister-in-law who is a newly qualified in NYS psychologist. I'm on my phone on a train so can't find the exact details currently but OP could search the board for "psychologist" and I'm sure it'd come up.

This is the thread. I searched for it using my phone! :nod:

rpjs Jan 9th 2016 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11832577)
This is the thread. I searched for it using my phone! :nod:

Yeah, but you weren't about to arrive at Manchester Piccadilly were you?

Pulaski Jan 9th 2016 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 11832654)

I might have been. :whistle:

lansbury Jan 9th 2016 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 11832654)

I didn't know Internet searches were location specific. :lol:

steveq Jan 10th 2016 12:59 am

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 11832849)

Unless you set it up right, Google is a right PITA for geolocating its searches. Try working in Egypt and trying to search - all the results are in Arabic...

lizzyq Jan 10th 2016 3:24 am

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 11832849)

Originally Posted by steveq (Post 11832944)
Unless you set it up right, Google is a right PITA for geolocating its searches. Try working in Egypt and trying to search - all the results are in Arabic...

And if you are in most of mainland China Google isn't an option at all. Yahoo worked most of the time, Google only worked when I was relatively near Hong Kong.

Pulaski Jan 10th 2016 3:33 am

Originally Posted by steveq (Post 11832944)

Apparently you can over-ride it somehow, .... a colleague (who is American born and bred, with British/ Welsh ancestry) has set Google Maps on his work computer to use the Cyrillic alphabet! :blink: