Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any UK trained psychologists working in New York

Any UK trained psychologists working in New York

Old Jan 8th 2016, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

I like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to behold
Default Any UK trained psychologists working in New York

My daughter who is a UK trained psychologist working currently in the NHS with neuro patients is planning to relocate to New York in April with her partner.

What are the likelyhood of her securing employment ? She thinks she will have to sit an exam ? or there any other means of her becoming registered ?

In the eventuality of her not being able to work as a psychologist what other avenues could she peruse eg. research, working for a charity.

Any advice would be welcomed.
Thanking you
Helen
Old Jan 8th 2016, 10:04 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any UK trained psychologists working in New York

Hi there

I've moved this over to the USA section as you had posted in the Australia section.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 11:04 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I like tea
My daughter who is a UK trained psychologist working currently in the NHS with neuro patients is planning to relocate to New York in April with her partner.

What are the likelyhood of her securing employment ? She thinks she will have to sit an exam ? or there any other means of her becoming registered ?

In the eventuality of her not being able to work as a psychologist what other avenues could she peruse eg. research, working for a charity.

Any advice would be welcomed.
Thanking you
Helen
Wht visa will she be getting? or is her partner a US citizen? This is the most vital thing to be sorted out first. She will almost certainly have to convince the authorities that oversee her profession in New York as all states will have their own set of rules etc. but there must be some information on-line, try a google search.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 2:43 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

We need to know what visa her partner is getting. Are they married? Without being married, she won't get any kind of dependent visa at all. If they are married, then her ability to work in the USA will depend on what visa her spouse is getting. Some dependent visas allow work, and some don't.

Rene
Old Jan 8th 2016, 2:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
..... Without being married, she won't get any kind of dependent visa at all. .....
B-2 cohabitating partner? .... But that does not permit working, ever.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 5:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
B-2 cohabitating partner? .... But that does not permit working, ever.
B-2 is not really a dependent visa, IMO. It's a visa given based on her own merit. More likely to be granted because of cohabitation, yes. And you are right, no work allowed.

Rene
Old Jan 9th 2016, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

I like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to behold

Thank you for your replies. I am unsure what visa her partner will be getting so need to clarify that first. It seems as if they are very strict about working in the USA I think it's going to be a stressful time for her.
Old Jan 9th 2016, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

I remember a similar query a few months back and replied with some advice from my sister-in-law who is a newly qualified in NYS psychologist. I'm on my phone on a train so can't find the exact details currently but OP could search the board for "psychologist" and I'm sure it'd come up.
Old Jan 9th 2016, 12:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
I remember a similar query a few months back and replied with some advice from my sister-in-law who is a newly qualified in NYS psychologist. I'm on my phone on a train so can't find the exact details currently but OP could search the board for "psychologist" and I'm sure it'd come up.
This is the thread. I searched for it using my phone!
Old Jan 9th 2016, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
This is the thread. I searched for it using my phone!
Yeah, but you weren't about to arrive at Manchester Piccadilly were you?
Old Jan 9th 2016, 4:07 pm

I might have been.
Old Jan 9th 2016, 9:11 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know Internet searches were location specific.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Unless you set it up right, Google is a right PITA for geolocating its searches. Try working in Egypt and trying to search - all the results are in Arabic...
Old Jan 10th 2016, 3:24 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Originally Posted by steveq
Unless you set it up right, Google is a right PITA for geolocating its searches. Try working in Egypt and trying to search - all the results are in Arabic...
And if you are in most of mainland China Google isn't an option at all. Yahoo worked most of the time, Google only worked when I was relatively near Hong Kong.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by steveq
Apparently you can over-ride it somehow, .... a colleague (who is American born and bred, with British/ Welsh ancestry) has set Google Maps on his work computer to use the Cyrillic alphabet!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.