Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any UK nurses in the US?

Any UK nurses in the US?

Old Mar 8th 2010, 5:46 pm
Student Nurse

scotoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any UK nurses in the US?

Hi everyone, I am a student nurse looking for info on how others have managed to get into the US as RNs.

I am in my 2nd year, I almost have 1 year left to do, I will have my green card in that time period and believe I need to make up for OB, pediatrics and mental health as our degree has changed a lot and not taught like it is in the US anymore.

I contacted a community college there (Mississippi) and they said i'd need to send the CGFNS an email which I have already done. Just waiting to hear back. My biggest fear is that I've worked hard here to find out that the US wont let me take these classes. Though could i not self study from books or do i need clinicals too before i can sit the NCLEX exam. I've heard its mega difficult.

I'd love to hear if anyone was in the same situation as me.

Thanks very much

Last edited by scotoz; Mar 8th 2010 at 5:48 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 6:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any UK nurses in the US?

Originally Posted by scotoz
Hi everyone, I am a student nurse looking for info on how others have managed to get into the US as RNs.

I am in my 2nd year, I almost have 1 year left to do, I will have my green card in that time period and believe I need to make up for OB, pediatrics and mental health as our degree has changed a lot and not taught like it is in the US anymore.

I contacted a community college there (Mississippi) and they said i'd need to send the CGFNS an email which I have already done. Just waiting to hear back. My biggest fear is that I've worked hard here to find out that the US wont let me take these classes. Though could i not self study from books or do i need clinicals too before i can sit the NCLEX exam. I've heard its mega difficult.

I'd love to hear if anyone was in the same situation as me.

Thanks very much
I'm a little confused. It sounds as though you are in the UK at the moment, studying, and looking to immigrate to the USA as a nurse.

But then you say you'll have your green card by next year. Which sounds like you are a student in the USA and somehow getting permanent residency next year...by what means? Marriage to a USC?

If you will be in the USA next year and have green card in hand, you won't have to worry about immigrating on your status as a nurse.

Rene
Old Mar 8th 2010, 6:14 pm
Student Nurse

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I'm a little confused. It sounds as though you are in the UK at the moment, studying, and looking to immigrate to the USA as a nurse.

But then you say you'll have your green card by next year. Which sounds like you are a student in the USA and somehow getting permanent residency next year...by what means? Marriage to a USC?

If you will be in the USA next year and have green card in hand, you won't have to worry about immigrating on your status as a nurse.

Rene
Sorry I should have mentioned I am going to be marrying my fiance who is a USC. I am in Scotland finishing my BSN.

Its not the immigration its how I am going to basically fill in the gaps as the nursing is different there. I was wondering if any UK nurses had the same problem.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 6:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I should have mentioned I am going to be marrying my fiance who is a USC. I am in Scotland finishing my BSN.

Its not the immigration its how I am going to basically fill in the gaps as the nursing is different there. I was wondering if any UK nurses had the same problem.
OK, thanks for clearing that up. Your questions aren't immigration-related...that helps a lot.

Rene
Old Mar 8th 2010, 7:11 pm
Student Nurse

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.272 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/120)

No worries
Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Have a search, quite a few nurses have posted info on working here, most mention a nurses forum which has a lot of info but I can't remember the name off hand.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi scotoz

You're in the wrong forum, try this one

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72

Perhaps the mods will move it for you?
Old Mar 8th 2010, 11:55 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

When I arrived many moons ago, I was an SEN I went to the local community college in the US that had a nursing program and talked to them, I had my transcripts mailed to them from the nursing school I went to (see how long ago it was?) then they told me I needed two semesters of pharmacy, and OB and I'd be ready for the state boards, which I did and passed, after UK exams I found them very easy. Now I'm an LVN here I could have just continued on and done the RN, wish I had but I was busy new marriage a job etc etc.
I was asked if I wanted to take the NCLEX had no clue what that was and didn't do it I wish I had. Hind sight is 20/20 I say before kids do whatever qualification offered it's worth it.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 7:27 am
Student Nurse

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
When I arrived many moons ago, I was an SEN I went to the local community college in the US that had a nursing program and talked to them, I had my transcripts mailed to them from the nursing school I went to (see how long ago it was?) then they told me I needed two semesters of pharmacy, and OB and I'd be ready for the state boards, which I did and passed, after UK exams I found them very easy. Now I'm an LVN here I could have just continued on and done the RN, wish I had but I was busy new marriage a job etc etc.
I was asked if I wanted to take the NCLEX had no clue what that was and didn't do it I wish I had. Hind sight is 20/20 I say before kids do whatever qualification offered it's worth it.
Hi Mummy in the foothills, you are a life saver!

I was told that the MS board of nursing requires my transcripts to be looked at though our modules are named differently. Mental health was community health and social care, i just hope they accept that.

I was told the main ones i need to do is OB and pediatrics, i hope it wont take me too long.

Is it true its much harder here? I know a lot of their exams are multiple choice which is not the case here as you will have fond memories of
Old Mar 9th 2010, 12:19 pm
Student Nurse

I am not sure whether to transfer there and do an Associates degree in nursing in the states it would cost me around $6000 for the 2 years.

I could stay here and finish with a bachelors degree but i'd need to spend more time doing modules that are needed for the NCLEX, i know sometimes they do not accept modules and make you repeat some areas it could take my 4 years total.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

It would probably take that long anyhow - for an ADN/ASN you will have to go on a waiting list, fulfil their specific prerequisites etc (they tend to think subjects don't count if they were done outside the US for some things...).

Should take long to make up deficiencies if you have them - one semester of OB-GYN and Paeds classes + clinical would do it.

NCLEX-RN isn't that hard if you study for it - it's not so much the content as the style of exam and questions. It's "computer adaptive" so adjusts to your answers to ensure you understand each topic and reach a passing standard. I had been out of uni for 11 years when I took it, studied about 3 months and test took 45 mins and wasn't difficult to me.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 12:43 pm
Student Nurse

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.272 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/120)

Originally Posted by augigi
It would probably take that long anyhow - for an ADN/ASN you will have to go on a waiting list, fulfil their specific prerequisites etc (they tend to think subjects don't count if they were done outside the US for some things...).

Should take long to make up deficiencies if you have them - one semester of OB-GYN and Paeds classes + clinical would do it.

NCLEX-RN isn't that hard if you study for it - it's not so much the content as the style of exam and questions. It's "computer adaptive" so adjusts to your answers to ensure you understand each topic and reach a passing standard. I had been out of uni for 11 years when I took it, studied about 3 months and test took 45 mins and wasn't difficult to me.
Hey there, the university in US said it would take me 2 years to do the AND just as long as it will for me to do the rest of my BSN here but with the BSN I will need to make those up here.

It will cost me $8000 to do the AND what do you think its best for me to do? I just fear there may be more things I need to make up as nursing is different here.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 1:43 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Hey there, the university in US said it would take me 2 years to do the AND just as long as it will for me to do the rest of my BSN here but with the BSN I will need to make those up here.

It will cost me $8000 to do the AND what do you think its best for me to do? I just fear there may be more things I need to make up as nursing is different here.
If you arrive and have your RN already you are ahead of the game, Here they used to slide you right in to the classes you needed to get ready for the RN state boards so you didn't have to compete with non nurses and get a place at college. There are drop outs at every level so they have some spaces, it's trying to get into the full program thats hard. You may be eligible as a foreign RN to take the LVN/LPN exam for the state (contact the state board about that, so you could actually work and earn as you finish school.
You don't need to get into a Uni to be and RN here, Community colleges have RN classes too, unless you want to go onto get your Masters or something, CC is much cheaper and once you are an RN no one asks where you went to school.
Nursing to me here is different in the way that I don't think it's as good. Some may disagree, but I don't think they are as well trained in helping/dealing with patients, it's all book smart and no bedside manner.
I've never met rude nurses in UK, I've met plenty here, but the nice ones make up for it.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 1:49 pm
Student Nurse

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
If you arrive and have your RN already you are ahead of the game, Here they used to slide you right in to the classes you needed to get ready for the RN state boards so you didn't have to compete with non nurses and get a place at college. There are drop outs at every level so they have some spaces, it's trying to get into the full program thats hard. You may be eligible as a foreign RN to take the LVN/LPN exam for the state (contact the state board about that, so you could actually work and earn as you finish school.
You don't need to get into a Uni to be and RN here, Community colleges have RN classes too, unless you want to go onto get your Masters or something, CC is much cheaper and once you are an RN no one asks where you went to school.
Nursing to me here is different in the way that I don't think it's as good. Some may disagree, but I don't think they are as well trained in helping/dealing with patients, it's all book smart and no bedside manner.
I've never met rude nurses in UK, I've met plenty here, but the nice ones make up for it.
Thanks for the reply,

I fear that what we are taught here will not be covered in the NCLEX exam. According to the MS state board of nursing I will have to have my transcripts looked at and assessed to see what areas I need to cover (pediatrics and obstetrics will be 2 of them i know of already) I wont be able to work as a LPN/RN until I pass the NCLEX. I was told I could study an NCLEX book with a CD, but not sure if the bachelor degrees here would prepare me for most of it?

The community college that I wanted to transfer to just started the ADN in Jan and won't have their credentials until 2012. The Mississippi university for women do the ADN for $8000 for the whole course/fees.

Not sure whether to stick it out here, graduate in 2012 and then go and do the missed parts but i am not sure how long that will take me.

Or transfer to the ADN and graduate 2012 but i'd need to pay but wouldn't need to make up modules.

My biggest worry is not being ready for the NCLEX.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:52 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Thanks for the reply,

I fear that what we are taught here will not be covered in the NCLEX exam. According to the MS state board of nursing I will have to have my transcripts looked at and assessed to see what areas I need to cover (pediatrics and obstetrics will be 2 of them i know of already) I wont be able to work as a LPN/RN until I pass the NCLEX. I was told I could study an NCLEX book with a CD, but not sure if the bachelor degrees here would prepare me for most of it?

The community college that I wanted to transfer to just started the ADN in Jan and won't have their credentials until 2012. The Mississippi university for women do the ADN for $8000 for the whole course/fees.

Not sure whether to stick it out here, graduate in 2012 and then go and do the missed parts but i am not sure how long that will take me.

Or transfer to the ADN and graduate 2012 but i'd need to pay but wouldn't need to make up modules.

My biggest worry is not being ready for the NCLEX.
I'd get your RN before you come, and study with the Book and CD, I found the biggest exam problem here was the difference in how they ask things. I managed to fail my first test based on stupid stuff, reading things the way I would in UK and not seeing the trick questions. Everything was multi choice and once I got over no essays it was a breeze.
I think you can take the NCLEX in the UK ready to move. I worked as a Nurse assistant part time and went to CC for two classes one semester (OB AND Pharm)and one class the second semester (Pharm and I added Spanish to stay busy), I still had plenty of time to work and study and do the clinicals out at the hospital and was a new bride

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.