Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any UK architects living in the states?

Wikiposts

Any UK architects living in the states?

Old Mar 28th 2013, 12:19 am
Just Joined

Jon5465 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any UK architects living in the states?

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
That's only fair... since it'll cost you that much extra just to live in LA!

Once her brother becomes a US citizen, he can sponsor her for an immigrant visa... and in about 10-13 years afterwards, she'll get a visa. I understand that's going to be a long-term solution, but it's one of the easiest... all you have to do is wait. To take advantage of her visa, you will need to be married to her.

Ian
Haha, very funny Ian but nit quite true...

Check out the following accurate as of this morning...

Cost of living comparison between London (United Kingdom) andLos Angeles (United States)

How much money will you need when you move to London?

Find out with our Cost of Living and Income report.

Food16%

Housing52%

Clothes37%

Transportation122%

Personal Care4%

Entertainment30%

TOTAL53%

These prices were last updated about 3 hours ago.

This comparison is based on abundant and consistent data.

http://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-li...angeles/london

Last edited by Jon5465; Mar 28th 2013 at 12:26 am.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 3:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The reality is pretty different.

Healthcare is much more expensive, insurance is much more expensive, utilities are also much more expensive.

If you've got kids, after school programs, childcare, etc, much more expensive.

Decent groceries, much more expensive. Sure you can go to Walmart and it'll be cheaper. Sure you can look at restaurant prices and think cheaper, but then you've got to factor in service/sales tax and 20-25% tip.

Basically, that COL is crap because you aren't comparing like for like. I mean is it taking into account someone living in Chelsea or someone in Harrow v someone living in Hollywood or Compton?

Anywhere nice is going to be expensive, or something with a massive commute.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 3:36 am
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon5465

Check out the following accurate as of this morning...

Cost of living comparison between London (United Kingdom) andLos Angeles (United States)

How much money will you need when you move to London?

Yada yada yada...

...we live in Brighton to be specific...
Old Mar 28th 2013, 4:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

So which route are you going to go for?
Old Mar 28th 2013, 4:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Transportation 122% cheaper in LA?

Those COL things are complete rubbish.

As someone else mentioned, this has to be one of the most bureaucratic places on earth.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 5:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The reality is pretty different.

Healthcare is much more expensive, insurance is much more expensive, utilities are also much more expensive.

If you've got kids, after school programs, childcare, etc, much more expensive.

Decent groceries, much more expensive. Sure you can go to Walmart and it'll be cheaper. Sure you can look at restaurant prices and think cheaper, but then you've got to factor in service/sales tax and 20-25% tip.

Basically, that COL is crap because you aren't comparing like for like. I mean is it taking into account someone living in Chelsea or someone in Harrow v someone living in Hollywood or Compton?

Anywhere nice is going to be expensive, or something with a massive commute.
Yeh, I stopped reading that COL comparison tool when I saw it didn't include healthcare.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

I am a landscape architect, rather than architect, but it doesn't make much difference with regard to licensing requirements. I have had to wait 8 years to even start to try and get licensed, as the governing body here does not recognize degrees that are not from an accredited university. The only ones accredited are US universities and maybe some Canadian ones. So I have had to work under a licensed landscape architect for 8 years and am now allowed to take the exams (yes you have to take them all - don't assume being a chartered architect in the UK will automatically make you an AIA member here). A friend is Dutch and an architect - pretty much the same story for him. It's all been a real negative for my career. I think I had more responsibility in my last Uk job 10 years ago. So I have had to get my pleasure in life from things other than work (living in the Rocky mountains helps).

I got my green card with some hard work and some dumb luck. Did an international exchange program with the US Forest Service back in the '90's and when that ended sent some CV's around the Pacific north west seeing if any employers would bite and apply for an H1B for me. One employer did, but obviously didn't know what he was getting himself into. Shortly after starting the application he was advised to apply for permanent residency for me rather than the H1B. That took 2.5 years to come through (during which time I was back in the UK), and they had to prove that a US citizen wasn't available to do the job. Not sure how they did that - maybe because Boise, ID is not somewhere most landscape architects think they'd want to live so had few/no applicants when they advertised. Anyway, the employer stuck with it throughout for some reason.

So anything is possible with regard to getting to the US. As for work being restrictive, it probably depends where you're located in the US. I know and work with lots of architects here. There isn't much ground breaking design work where I am, but probably in most of the world, the kind of projects you see in magazines are only done by about 0.1% of architects/landscape architects. I'd probably head back to the UK for more interesting work (and more paid leave!) if I hadn't set down so many roots here now.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 12:14 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Well then, believe what you want... but the joke'll be on you when the reality of the situation smashes you in the face, so to speak.

Ian
Old Mar 29th 2013, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

SalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond repute

Architecture student here.

As far as restrictions go, Type 5 construction - light frame residential stuff - is pretty lenient to my understanding, which is all LA really has going for it, for the most part.

Licensure takes 8 years, from what I recall, but that can be reduced to 5 with a professional degree (B. Arch or M. Arch), which is probably less than ideal for you.

Should you make it over here, the super corporate offices would probably be the easiest way to get a foot in the door, especially if you have a particular skill set they can exploit. I've heard of people walking int jobs at SOM on the basis of knowing Grasshopper above all else.

I'm not too familiar with many of the offices in Los Angeles, although I am a big fan of Wes Jones.

If either of you hold a Master's degree, it may be worth trying to look into teaching. SciARC, Cal Poly Pomona, Woodbury USC, and UCLA all have architecture programs - the first two listed have really strong programs at that. SciArc's especially if you're into emerging technology and digital design. There's also New School in San Diego.