Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any tips on reducing your car insurance in the USA?

Any tips on reducing your car insurance in the USA?

Old Oct 1st 2009, 8:57 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any tips on reducing your car insurance in the USA?

Some states let you do a safety course that lets you reduce your premium e.g. NYS lets you reduce your liability+collision premium by 10%: http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/pirp.htm

But having said that, it doesn't always work out worthwhile because the $x required for the course fee is more than the $y that actually gets saved. It depends how much the $y is for you and what works in your state.

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Ask them what is the bare minimum required by the laws of your state and see what quotes they give you.
I am very tight-fisted but that's a false economy imo: the legal minimums are piddling or zero, but the potential liabilities are high for not much of a discount. I'll happily do without the replacement car coverage and all of that stuff.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 9:53 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Some states let you do a safety course that lets you reduce your premium e.g. NYS lets you reduce your liability+collision premium by 10%: http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/pirp.htm
Defensive driving course might be an option to take (think thats what you mean).
Not sure if it applies in all states (prob not) and I have heard that its entirely optional for an insurance company to reduce rates if you have it done.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

Victor88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
You've referred to her as your wife before; you may have better luck once married. Your fiancee is a US citizen, resident in the US?
I barely noticed the addition of my UKC spouse on my established auto policy.

Ah, she's not my wife yet... I have all that to look forward to!

My fiancee is a USC resident in the US, and she uses a broker... but I don't know how good he/she is. Your responses have been great. I think I have to take all of your great advice into account and see what I can do to reduce the premium.

Getting a crappy car is a good start... am thinking a Honda Civic or Toyota Corrola, or a very slooooow station wagon. Thats a crappy car right?

I don't need car replacements, etc, either so I just have to drill down into the policy and see how I can reduce it.

The tips on the insurers like Allstate and Geico are much appreciated too.

So 1st on my list... get a slow, clapped out, crappy car!

Any suggestions?
Old Oct 1st 2009, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor88
My fiancee is looking to get me insured on her policy

Does anybody have any tips/advice on reducing my premium?
Get married.

When I did, I called the insurance company soon after to add my newly acquired wife to my insurance.

The extra discount from suddenly being married outweighed the cost of adding the missus, and they actually sent me a cheque in the mail to make up the difference!
Old Oct 1st 2009, 4:41 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor88

Any suggestions?
Yes, what hobbes says: get married. It makes all the difference. You are migrating to move in with her, right? What visa are you coming with?
I wonder if you are flapping around looking for something you don't need?
Old Oct 1st 2009, 5:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Drive a banger, can settle for liability only insurance then

Build credit history

Do an advanced driver ed course

Have off street parking and don't live in a shit hole (probably state specific)

Make sure the car has ABS, traction control, seat belts and car alarm

Don't drive like a crunt
Old Oct 1st 2009, 5:36 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

you could always try and sleep with an underwriter.
I have a feeling your fiancee won't be chuffed at that option.