Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any Tips? Getting colour out of dried up paint

Any Tips? Getting colour out of dried up paint

Old Mar 25th 2014, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Location: Currently Cheshire in UK but soon to be an Expat....
dfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud of
Default Any Tips? Getting colour out of dried up paint

One of the wall is our new home needs touching up, a few marks in it. I have found the old tin of paint in the garage which is about a 1/5th full but all dried up.

Anyone have any tips on getting this paint usable at all, I only need couple of brushes worth.
Thanks
Old Mar 25th 2014, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Tips? Getting colour out of dried up paint

Take it to Home Depot or Lowes. They have a colour matching thingie that will scan it and get you a fresh tin of paint.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 12:34 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

There is no way back for dried up paint. If you know the name, you can buy a sample pot of pain, but don't expect an exact match, because between minor pigment variations and aging/ fading of the old paint, it probably won't be a perfect match.

You could try a "magic eraser" for really minor marks, but anything more and/or in an obvious location and unless you get very lucky with the colour match, painting the whole wall/ room will be the way to go.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 25th 2014 at 12:47 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 3:47 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I've used the color match service at Home Depot a couple of times...once for a purple-y color for some furniture in my daughters room, and once to match up a wall color. Both times they have come up perfect. For the furniture I took in a drawers front, and for the wall I just scraped a small part(pinkie nail size) off the damaged area and they matched from that. It was $3 or $4 for a small color sample size pot.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Or paint a similar colour over the whole of it.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 6:19 pm
Ex Expat

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Remove wall entirely
In fact, remove all interior walls
And ceilings
And privacy

Walls are so then
Loft life is now
Old Mar 25th 2014, 9:52 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD View Post
Remove wall entirely
In fact, remove all interior walls
And ceilings
And privacy

Walls are so then
Loft life is now
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_RMw2so8jQk...fe%20soho4.jpg
I lived in a loft in the 80s....was that "then" or have I gone through a wormhole and it's "now"?
And if the latter, does anyone know where I can get some parachute pants, cos I managed to dodge that bullet first time round, but they did look comfy.......
Old Mar 25th 2014, 10:09 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that if the can was 1/5 full that the paint would be ALL dried up. Sometimes, just puncturing the skin formed the top of the paint will reveal liquid at the bottom.

What is really a bitch is when the manufacturer has gone out of business. Our house has "Sinclair" and the exterior is "baltic mist" and the trim is "swiss coffee." Home Depot did a fairly good match on the swiss coffee when we had to do some termite repair on the front porch.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 10:33 pm
Ex Expat

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad View Post
I lived in a loft in the 80s....was that "then" or have I gone through a wormhole and it's "now"?
And if the latter, does anyone know where I can get some parachute pants, cos I managed to dodge that bullet first time round, but they did look comfy.......
Me too
Diff being - back then - in the 80's it was a now and then, a once in awhile relative rarity; you and I were already living in the now, then, if you see what I mean.

"Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
What I was walling in or walling out,
And to whom I was like to give offence.
Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
That wants it down."
Robert Frost, Mending Wall

Parachute Pants? Dunno, sorry
Old Mar 25th 2014, 10:50 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky View Post
I don't think that if the can was 1/5 full that the paint would be ALL dried up. Sometimes, just puncturing the skin formed the top of the paint will reveal liquid at the bottom. .....
For an oil-based paint, you are correct, but modern "latex" paints just get thicker and thicker until they've dried out, .... and generally oil based paint is/ was not used for interior walls, which is what I get the impression that the OP is asking for help with.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 11:08 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

As well as magic eraser, a baby wipe gets a lot of marks and scuffs off walls.