Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any teachers on here?

Any teachers on here?

Old Apr 15th 2009, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

britoverseas is just really nicebritoverseas is just really nicebritoverseas is just really nicebritoverseas is just really nicebritoverseas is just really nicebritoverseas is just really nicebritoverseas is just really nicebritoverseas is just really nice
Default Any teachers on here?

I am thinking about a career switch and am looking at possibly teaching Middle or High school. It would be nice to get some feedback from any people on here that are teachers (especially in Texas), pros and cons etc.

Cheers
Old Apr 15th 2009, 2:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any teachers on here?

Originally Posted by britoverseas
I am thinking about a career switch and am looking at possibly teaching Middle or High school. It would be nice to get some feedback from any people on here that are teachers (especially in Texas), pros and cons etc.

Cheers

Where are you now?
Old Apr 15th 2009, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

britoverseas is just really nicebritoverseas is just really nicebritoverseas is just really nicebritoverseas is just really nicebritoverseas is just really nicebritoverseas is just really nicebritoverseas is just really nicebritoverseas is just really nice

Texas
Old Apr 15th 2009, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

Sorry, should have said I'm a LPR so we don't go through the whole can you work stuff.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 2:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, should have said I'm a LPR so we don't go through the whole can you work stuff.
Sorry, was just curious, because you hadn't said in your post...I don't know about Texas, but here in IL they are laying a lot of teachers off at the moment, closing a few school too. I would look at your school districts web page etc, might not be that great a time to change careers?
My best friend's Daughter is a teacher, she just got told, they will not be re-hiring her next term
Old Apr 15th 2009, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

I thought my (especially in Texas) was a giveaway

Texas doesn't seem to have had the effects in this recession as bad as a lot of states, but yeah I will check it out thoroughly.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 5:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Usually its for the benefits, especially when the other half does not get Medical Insurance.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Amandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of light

Hi I was a teacher in Houston until we left a couple of months ago. I taught in a high school and a grade 9 campus. If you havent taught before then there isnt much you can compare it to, but of the 3 countries I have taught in I thought it was the worst. Not necessarily the behaviour (which wasnt that good) but the curriculum etc is not good also the way the schools work the kids and test isnt the best in my opinion.

there are a few options to get qualified, but it would depend on your circumstances. Also the amount of jobs and possibility of getting a job depends on what your speciality would be, and where you would be willing to work.

Teaching is a great career and can be very rewarding, but you HAVE to want to put a lot of yourself into it (and I would say a LOT more in the schools I worked in compared to other countries) I had to spend a lot of my own money to buy essential supplies for my classroom, and the kids there are very needy, but it is very rewarding.

If you have any specific questions ask away, I'm bedridden with 2 growing babies in my belly so any chance to feel productive would be welcome!

Amanda
Old Apr 15th 2009, 3:52 pm
Brit lost in Cactus Land

Ionna is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers
Try New Jersey and New York..they are always short of good teachers. Good Luck
Old Apr 15th 2009, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I thought my (especially in Texas) was a giveaway
Not necessarily, you could have just wanted to work in Texas...I have heard lots of things about Texas lately, but didn't realise it wasn't as economically challenged as the rest of the US. Good luck with your change in career, hope it works out for you
Old Apr 15th 2009, 6:02 pm
Pleasant Pheasant Plucker

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ionna
Try New Jersey and New York..they are always short of good teachers.
My fiance is a NYS teacher. 150 people applied for the position she got last year. Short on 'good' teachers, maybe. But not short on teachers.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

Ionna - thanks for the suggestion, but I am married and can't just up and leave. My wife and I have just moved back to Texas and neither of us have any desire to leave again.

Amandabee - cheers, maybe I can PM you if that's ok and find out a bit more of your experiences in teaching.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 7:42 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Texas' population is growing, but we are also feeling the pinch of the recession.

Do you wish to teach at the primary (K-5) or secondary (6-12) level? If the latter, what is your speciality? I keep hearing that math and science teachers are greatly needed, but also know some people who tried to switch careers into teaching and were bullied away in favour of the latest cute face from Southwest Texas (I mean, Texas State).

If it's an option, teaching in a small town might be good. You are a part of the community then.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

My Bachelors is in History/politics, so would be able to teach History or Social studies in Middle and High school. I am in Austin like yourself and don't wish to leave - I'm sure you can agree with that feeling lol
Old Apr 15th 2009, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

My Bachelors is in History/politics, so would be able to teach History or Social studies in Middle and High school. I am in Austin like yourself and don't wish to leave - I'm sure you can agree with that feeling lol
FWIW 7th grade (middle school) Soc. studies is spent teaching Texas history for the whole year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.