Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any teacher pals from England in NY?

Any teacher pals from England in NY?

Old Jan 25th 2006, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

elaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any teacher pals from England in NY?

Does anyone know of any teachers qualified in England that now work in NY or NJ ? The NY ED dept are a waste of time (seems like this is normal for gov depts ?? only arrived august so not used to it) so wanted to speak to someone who is same position as me. I have put a note on the teaching forum but it seems this forum is looked at more often.

Ps I was well laughing at the chocolate discussion, I have a stack of British Galaxy and dairy Milk in my fridge !!

Cheers
Elaine
Old Jan 25th 2006, 9:52 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any teacher pals from England in NY?

Originally Posted by elaineKB
Does anyone know of any teachers qualified in England that now work in NY or NJ ? The NY ED dept are a waste of time (seems like this is normal for gov depts ?? only arrived august so not used to it) so wanted to speak to someone who is same position as me. I have put a note on the teaching forum but it seems this forum is looked at more often.

Ps I was well laughing at the chocolate discussion, I have a stack of British Galaxy and dairy Milk in my fridge !!

Cheers
Elaine
Hi,
I'm not a teacher but just curious where you are living, NY or NJ? I'm in upstate NY so always interested to see where people are located
Old Jan 25th 2006, 10:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You had much luck searching the forums in this section for various teaching type sites, I'm sure there's a few around...can't really help with NY though, only teachers I know are all in ME.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

elaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaze
Hi,
I'm not a teacher but just curious where you are living, NY or NJ? I'm in upstate NY so always interested to see where people are located
Brooklyn , Thanks anyhow
Old Jan 25th 2006, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
You had much luck searching the forums in this section for various teaching type sites, I'm sure there's a few around...can't really help with NY though, only teachers I know are all in ME.
Cheers will keep my fingers crossed !
Old Jan 25th 2006, 10:39 am
Just Joined

uknj is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=elaineKB]Does anyone know of any teachers qualified in England that now work in NY or NJ ? The NY ED dept are a waste of time (seems like this is normal for gov depts ?? only arrived august so not used to it) so wanted to speak to someone who is same position as me. I have put a note on the teaching forum but it seems this forum is looked at more often.

I read this and totally felt for you! I am a UK qualified teacher working in NJ after months of initial frustration, financial strain, headaches with various education and immigration authorities, and having to take a step back in my career.

My advice to you is to apply to private schools, I did this as I was told that you can only go through the public system if they are doing a recruitment from overseas thing, and the dates etc are tricky with visa requirements.

I've also heard some scary stories about the public system (although they could be bias of course!) that they have a more prescribed curriculum and restrictions than back home.

I have been continually frustrated by not having my teacher training and experience recognised as being as good as here - due to their different BA / MA system for teachers especially. They don't seem to realise how intense and thorough the teacher education is back home and seem to view you as unqualified without an MA.

Good luck and ask me if you have any questions! - I know how it feels!

P.S are you a primary or secondary teacher?
Old Jan 25th 2006, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=uknj]

I read this and totally felt for you! I am a UK qualified teacher working in NJ after months of initial frustration, financial strain, headaches with various education and immigration authorities, and having to take a step back in my career.

My advice to you is to apply to private schools, I did this as I was told that you can only go through the public system if they are doing a recruitment from overseas thing, and the dates etc are tricky with visa requirements.

I've also heard some scary stories about the public system (although they could be bias of course!) that they have a more prescribed curriculum and restrictions than back home.

I have been continually frustrated by not having my teacher training and experience recognised as being as good as here - due to their different BA / MA system for teachers especially. They don't seem to realise how intense and thorough the teacher education is back home and seem to view you as unqualified without an MA.

Good luck and ask me if you have any questions! - I know how it feels!

P.S are you a primary or secondary teacher?
Wow Thank God that I'm not on my own here, I have never known anything like it !! I was pratcically screaming at them that I got a first from a full time teachers degree and basically it was not some crap evening course !! Yeh Im thinking of going down the private route but being a working class londoner I dont think much of the 'pay' for your education thing. However I'd love to talk more with you about the situation. Can you email me ? Im new to this site so not sure how that works ?
Cheers again feel loads better !
Oh and primary !
Old Jan 25th 2006, 11:02 am
Just Joined

uknj is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=elaineKB]
Originally Posted by uknj

Wow Thank God that I'm not on my own here, I have never known anything like it !! I was pratcically screaming at them that I got a first from a full time teachers degree and basically it was not some crap evening course !! Yeh Im thinking of going down the private route but being a working class londoner I dont think much of the 'pay' for your education thing. However I'd love to talk more with you about the situation. Can you email me ? Im new to this site so not sure how that works ?
Cheers again feel loads better !
Oh and primary !
I'll send you a private message - am also glad to have someone to talk to about the frustrations of career progression over here!
Old Jan 25th 2006, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Hi!

I am a Brit living in Baltimore. I did all my teacher training over here (been here since 92) and then became a school counselor. They have their own way of doing things here and the system can be frustrating! I have been in the education system in the US for 12 years and I do find that I make good money here. There are a lot of options for career progression and further education. I don't know the system in the UK so I cannot compare. With your visa, can you go to other states? I have heard from friends here that the NYC school system is in trouble. I work for the Baltimore County system and I am pretty satisfied with them, they are good to work for. Let me know if you have any questions. I would be happy to help you! Good luck.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simongb
Hi!

I am a Brit living in Baltimore. I did all my teacher training over here (been here since 92) and then became a school counselor. They have their own way of doing things here and the system can be frustrating! I have been in the education system in the US for 12 years and I do find that I make good money here. There are a lot of options for career progression and further education. I don't know the system in the UK so I cannot compare. With your visa, can you go to other states? I have heard from friends here that the NYC school system is in trouble. I work for the Baltimore County system and I am pretty satisfied with them, they are good to work for. Let me know if you have any questions. I would be happy to help you! Good luck.
Cheers for that, unfortunatly my hubbie works here so am only looking to work in NY or NJ for now. Thanks for you advice
Old Jan 25th 2006, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

BrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for that, unfortunatly my hubbie works here so am only looking to work in NY or NJ for now. Thanks for you advice
If you are interested in special Ed teaching, most schools will hire you, they seem to most desperate in that department. When I was in NJ, they could never find enough and hired regular education teachers for Special Ed, all the time, and just had them do a few extra courses to be certified in that field...maybe you could look into that way of things.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 1:38 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Elaine
I was a teacher in the UK until about 5 years ago. Best thing I ever did was change careers, got a transfer to the US office and now live in NJ (just about to start a new job in Manhattan). I say go for something completely different for a while - probably less hassle.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 2:29 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
I was a teacher in the UK until about 5 years ago. Best thing I ever did was change careers, got a transfer to the US office and now live in NJ (just about to start a new job in Manhattan). I say go for something completely different for a while - probably less hassle.
How did you find the whole career switching thing as I'm considering it myself ??
How did you get that first job in a different field without experience, etc??

Thanks
Old Jan 26th 2006, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BrandonBrit
If you are interested in special Ed teaching, most schools will hire you, they seem to most desperate in that department. When I was in NJ, they could never find enough and hired regular education teachers for Special Ed, all the time, and just had them do a few extra courses to be certified in that field...maybe you could look into that way of things.
Cheers I will look into that if the regular teaching doesnt move soon !!
Old Jan 26th 2006, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by neil
Cheers but I worked my ase of too much for my degree which i only finished two years ago to give up just yet...also love working with kids and switched my career already to do teaching as I had been working for 13years in Travel -Yuk ! Thanks anyhow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.