British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Any Social Media Exchange Groups? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/any-social-media-exchange-groups-925731/)

ChronowerX_GT Jun 13th 2019 1:46 pm

Any Social Media Exchange Groups?

Hey, this might be a weird question. I'm still in the UK and would really like to interact with some people from the US. Does anyone know any Facebook groups of forums of people who essentially want to talk to Brits to learn about each other's countries? I'm not quite sure where to start.

Pollyana Jun 13th 2019 2:19 pm

Re: Any Social Media Exchange Groups?

Originally Posted by ChronowerX_GT (Post 12697584)
Hey, this might be a weird question. I'm still in the UK and would really like to interact with some people from the US. Does anyone know any Facebook groups of forums of people who essentially want to talk to Brits to learn about each other's countries? I'm not quite sure where to start.

What's wrong with this forum?! Lots of Brits, lots of Americans, and lots of dual......

ChronowerX_GT Jun 13th 2019 2:26 pm

Haha nothing. I'm new here so I didn't know how 'social' these forums are compared to a social media platform. Wasn't sure if people mainly just came here for advice :)

Pulaski Jun 13th 2019 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by ChronowerX_GT (Post 12697615)
Haha nothing. I'm new here so I didn't know how 'social' these forums are compared to a social media platform. Wasn't sure if people mainly just came here for advice :)

Check out the Trailer Park sub-forum of the US Forum. The US forum can get quite chatty, but the Trailer Park is pure chat. :)

Personally I'd recommend joining the conversation in other threads before starting too many of your own as threads by newbies may not get much attention.

MsElui Jun 13th 2019 11:01 pm

if you know where in the US you are going to - you can often find facebook groups for brits in the area, There is one for my city as well as the larger DFW area. I would not say they are heavily used though.

Rete Jun 14th 2019 3:12 am

He's not looking for Brits but for an American.

ChronowerX_GT Jun 14th 2019 6:12 am

Thanks for the replies everyone. Even Brits in the areas I'm thinking of is actually a good idea since they'll have experienced the cultural transition. Although I don't think Georgia is the most common destination for Brits :/

I might take Pulaski's advice and banter around the Trailer Park for a bit :)

BEVS Jun 14th 2019 6:36 am

Originally Posted by ChronowerX_GT (Post 12697925)
Thanks for the replies everyone. Even Brits in the areas I'm thinking of is actually a good idea since they'll have experienced the cultural transition. Although I don't think Georgia is the most common destination for Brits :/

I might take Pulaski's advice and banter around the Trailer Park for a bit :)

Great idea . :nod:

We were the social media platform before social media platfors appeared . The co-founders started this exactly so folks could care and share across the assorted ponds. Hopefully you'll get a feel for things .

Pulaski Jun 14th 2019 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by ChronowerX_GT (Post 12697925)
... Although I don't think Georgia is the most common destination for Brits ....

That would be Florida! :lol:

We do actually have several active members living in Georgia, both in the Atlanta area, and further out in the more interesting parts. :)

rpjs Jun 14th 2019 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12697932)
Great idea . :nod:

We were the social media platform before social media platfors appeared . The co-founders started this exactly so folks could care and share across the assorted ponds. Hopefully you'll get a feel for things .

Well before web forums social media meant Usenet newsgroups, and if my grasp of BritishExpats.com history is correct, the marriage-based sub-forum here was originally fed from the alt.visa.us.marriaged-based newsgroup.

BEVS Jun 14th 2019 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 12698262)
Well before web forums social media meant Usenet newsgroups, and if my grasp of BritishExpats.com history is correct, the marriage-based sub-forum here was originally fed from the alt.visa.us.marriaged-based newsgroup.

Correct for that.

Rete was right there back then.

ChronowerX_GT Jun 16th 2019 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12698115)

We do actually have several active members living in Georgia, both in the Atlanta area, and further out in the more interesting parts. :)

Well not too far away then :D I've got a friend who's moving to Florida next year. I might take the odd trip there haha.

robtuck Jun 17th 2019 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12698115)

Hello!
35 miles south of Atlanta on the edge of the cultural cliff - I jest, but maybe not too much.

Florida is a couple of hours further south - about 4 hours to places like Pensacola for a bit of all year round sun and sea, or 6-7 hours to Orlando (done it a few times now - in fact, we even flew into Orlando once as the flight prices were crazy cheap in comparison to Atlanta at the time).

Pulaski Jun 17th 2019 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by robtuck (Post 12699340)
..... 35 miles south of Atlanta on the edge of the cultural cliff - I jest, but maybe not too much.

Not too much in deed - don't you have a NASCAR track in your back yard? :rofl: I drove down there to see the last race of 2000, and it is indeed a cliff! :nod:

robtuck Jun 17th 2019 7:49 pm

Yep, it's about 30 miles due East from here, Atlanta Motor Speedway.

We also have lots of filming, most of the Marvel stuff is filmed here at Pinewood Studios, The Walking Dead is filmed in our County with most of it based in Senoia and they use Downtown Newnan for lots of filming requiring a "Southern Charm" style location.