Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any Scots here? Tartan Day/Week April 2-6

Wikiposts

Any Scots here? Tartan Day/Week April 2-6

Old Apr 6th 2005, 1:26 am
This board is shite

ScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: Any Scots here? Tartan Day/Week April 2-6

Originally Posted by DaveC
Let me be the first to wish everyone a happy Tartan Day. Lang may yer lums reek. Or something.
Indeed lang may yer lum reek, ye canny shove yer granny aff the bus, Daphne Broon's a big coo, wha's like us, and let yer wind gang free whaur e'er ye maybe!

Last edited by ScotsmanInTexas; Apr 6th 2005 at 1:30 am.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 1:30 am
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Scots here? Tartan Day/Week April 2-6

ye canny shove yer granny aff the bus rofl I haven't heard that in years karma to you for ,took me back
Old Apr 6th 2005, 2:27 am
This board is shite

ScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by clydegirl
ye canny shove yer granny aff the bus rofl I haven't heard that in years karma to you for ,took me back
Yes, but I hope you also sing, ye can shove yer other granny aff the bus, ye can shove yer other granny aff the bus etc... etc... Instant revenge on mother-in-laws from hell... hehe
Old Apr 6th 2005, 2:34 am
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScotsmanInTexas
Yes, but I hope you also sing, ye can shove yer other granny aff the bus, ye can shove yer other granny aff the bus etc... etc... Instant revenge on mother-in-laws from hell... hehe
I'm going to be singing it all day now,can't get it out of my head
Old Apr 6th 2005, 2:43 am
This board is shite

I was just reading news on a BBC website and found something to snigger about:

"First Minister to miss Tartan Day
First Minister Jack McConnell will not be attending this year's Tartan Day celebrations in the US.
The event is celebrated annually in New York with a street parade and will take place on 6 April this year.

Mr McConnell was ridiculed in the press for wearing a pinstripe kilt at last year's event and is rumoured to be missing it due to the general election"

Article in Full at: http://newswww.bbc.net.uk/1/low/scotland/4341031.stm

Well hello sailor! Just goes to show that some people should not wear kilts.
Attached Thumbnails Any Scots here? Tartan Day/Week April 2-6-2201kiltb.jpg  

Last edited by ScotsmanInTexas; Apr 6th 2005 at 2:45 am.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 2:52 am
This board is shite

Talking Re: Any Scots here? Tartan Day/Week April 2-6

Here's some other people who should not ever wear kilts! The first of these tartan clad fools is incredibly the Earl of Caithness.
Attached Thumbnails Any Scots here? Tartan Day/Week April 2-6-earlofcaithness.jpg   Any Scots here? Tartan Day/Week April 2-6-ericthevillency.jpg   Any Scots here? Tartan Day/Week April 2-6-heathcliffeuanrellie.jpg  
Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:17 am
roamin in the gloamin

First Minister Jack McConnell will not be attending this year's Tartan Day celebrations in the US.
The event is celebrated annually in New York with a street parade and will take place on 6 April this year.

Mr McConnell was ridiculed in the press for wearing a pinstripe kilt at last year's event and is rumoured to be missing it due to the general election"

Article in Full at: http://newswww.bbc.net.uk/1/low/scotland/4341031.stm

Well hello sailor! Just goes to show that some people should not wear kilts.
and the health minister wants to improve our health service by looking at the healthcare system here :scared:
Old Apr 6th 2005, 5:11 am
Skyscrapered

Haggischomper has a spectacular aura aboutHaggischomper has a spectacular aura aboutHaggischomper has a spectacular aura about

Jack McConnell is a grade A arsehole.
Old Apr 9th 2005, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

mandeeuk is just really nicemandeeuk is just really nicemandeeuk is just really nicemandeeuk is just really nicemandeeuk is just really nicemandeeuk is just really nicemandeeuk is just really nicemandeeuk is just really nicemandeeuk is just really nicemandeeuk is just really nicemandeeuk is just really nice

[QUOTE=ScotsmanInTexas]
Originally Posted by Englishmum
Did you know that in 1988 the US Senate voted to recognise April 6th as "National Tartan Day"?

Yes disturbing isn't it! I think it's complete and utter rubbish and I'm obviously of the Scottish persuasion. I mean if they are going to have such a day then it should be in keeping with the Irish St Patricks day and it could only then be St. Andrews on the 30th November. I don't know why they don't also have a St. Georges Day.

I think Tartan Day was best summed up for me when I heard a TV interviewer interview a lady who turned out for it dressed in a weird gaudy costume - sort of patchwork quilt thing of all kinds of tartanalia (I even spotted bits of a car blanket in there). "I also turn out for St Paddy's day" said she proudly then added I think my Scots-Irish (bullshit Americanism hehe) ancestors lived somewhere along the border???!!! "Well I hope they were good swimmers" replied the interviewer. She looked a little puzzled so he added the border between Scotland and Ireland is the Irish sea!

I mean come on it's a joke. :-D The best example of something like this comes from an Irish friend of mine who was on holiday in NY during St. Patricks day, he said he was actually quite emberassed by it and hated the way they fawned over him as soon as he opened his mouth.

The average American doesn't have a scooby about who they are or where they come from. Many of them are of Generic British (English, Scots, Welsh, Northern Irish), German or East European descent and their names are anything but Irish, but on that day they insist they are Irish etc.. etc... It's a little embarassing when they start this nonsense.

Then of course there's the American lady who told me she'd heard "there's nothing better than marching through the heather with your kilt on". (which sounds oddly enough like a line of an Andy Stewart song) "I see", I replied politely then replied, "Thistles, midgies, nettles and adders would prevent me from ever actually trying that out for myself!". :scared:

But back to Tartan day. There is of course that mockery of a memory of Scottish First Minister Jack McConnell in his erm... 'Scottish' costume of last year. Looking like a complete joke and farce and just a bit camp in his grey skirt! But then as any true Scot will tell you, the Kilt is a highland myth and most of todays tartans were invented by the 19th century weaver Wilson of Bannockburn, as was the then fashion.

Tartan Day is meant to celebrate the contribution of the Scottish to the US so it's on the anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Arbroath upon which the Declaration of Independence was modeled. At least, that's what I'm told. For me, it represented a very good excuse to attend a Tartan Day celebration in LA and catch up with an old friend from Glasgow in amongst the cliche whisky, bagpipes and kilts.