Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any resentment on arrival?

Any resentment on arrival?

Old May 26th 2009, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

NotworkSte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any resentment on arrival?

I've been coming to the US on and off for years, since I work for an American company and at times have some of them even report to me. Now I am (at the early stages) in the process of moving over to the US as I just got married to my wife.

I have to say I have never had anything negative at all. I think doing it legally helps a lot, and to echo a previous comment being British seems to make you less of a foreigner in many peoples eyes. I don't actually know or hang about with ex-pats over here, it's mainly people I work directly with at the same company, or with vendors/clients of ours, or her family (who seem to happily have accepted me as part of the family). Since I am Northern Irish, the whole Irish thing seem to help, they are more inclined to ask me to go to one of the local Irish bars than look down at me.

Bizarrely, given the level of anger directed at some illegal immigrants, I have lost count of the number of people who have tried to encourage me to go that way and then try to adjust whilst banging on how other illegals are (not) dealt with.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I am going to go with the glass is half full view that we won't face any negativity about arriving in US to work.

The real problem we are facing at the moment is from so called friends, who have never been to the US and are basing their views on what they have seen on TV and movies. As far as they seem concerned America is too violent and everyone has a gun and every single American is obnoxious, loud, stupid and full of themselves.

My husbands friends seem to have decided that I am the devil and he is only doing this for me. They seem to think I am taking him away from them and he is only doing it to keep me happy. As if I could convince a grown man to leave his home country and everyone he knows and move to another continent just to please me! If I could I would have gotten him to give me a lot more stuff than he has! I would have convinced him that I don't really need to work but I do need to drive a Lexus RX400h! Not a chance in hell of convincing him of that!
Old Jun 9th 2009, 4:38 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG1976
The real problem we are facing at the moment is from so called friends, who have never been to the US and are basing their views on what they have seen on TV and movies. As far as they seem concerned America is too violent and everyone has a gun and every single American is obnoxious, loud, stupid and full of themselves.
Your friends are crazy. Not everyone is like that.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 5:33 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

don't worry my Mother in Law was of the same opinion. They came over on holiday a couple of years back and on the second day told us how wrong they were in their initial assumptions
Old Jun 9th 2009, 6:03 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

My husbands friends seem to have decided that I am the devil and he is only doing this for me. They seem to think I am taking him away from them and he is only doing it to keep me happy. As if I could convince a grown man to leave his home country and everyone he knows and move to another continent just to please me! If I could I would have gotten him to give me a lot more stuff than he has! I would have convinced him that I don't really need to work but I do need to drive a Lexus RX400h! Not a chance in hell of convincing him of that!
To be fair, it probably feels that way to them - It is hard for friends/family to lose their loved ones to another country and often people are heavily influenced by their partners.

It is also for them hard to see that if he is only moving for you, it's still his choice not to say no and that he is the one they should be unhappy about...

That said, I blame the woman.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Your friends are crazy. Not everyone is like that.
Just every 3rd person!
Old Jun 9th 2009, 6:35 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Just every 3rd person!
Old Jun 9th 2009, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I will be moving to Seymour. The company sponsoring husband sent us a dvd the was done of the town by some University students. It looks nice enough, just small!
You won't be that far from 2 decent sized cities then. You're going to be about halfway between Louisville, KY and Indianapolis (capital of IN). It would be about an hour to either. There's also an excellent outlet mall further north of you - which is, ironically, located in Edinburgh, IN (pronounced Ed-in-burg by the locals). You're also only going to be about 4hrs drive to Chicago. There probably isn't much to do in Seymour, but I think Columbus is a bit bigger and has a bit more to offer. I'm not sure, since I've only ever visited those areas, and haven't actually lived there.

You'll probably meet plenty of farm hicks that want to talk corn to you all the time, but they'll be good people. Keep a bit of an open mind, and when the local hicks irritate you come on here and give us a rant.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 7:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Due to the current economic climate and the number of people out of work in the US right now. I was wondering if any of you who have gone to America on a work visa have had any problems with US citizens? Has there been any resentment or anger directed at you by people who are not happy foreigners are being hired over citizens?

As my husband is in the middle of the process to get his work visa, I am wondering what our arrival may bring, friends or instant enemies?

When I first started reading BE, I thought the resentment came from the Brit, not the Yank. Thought that because they soon discovered Yanks aren't British and can't speak properly, make proper bread, don't know maramite or proper bacon, etc. In other words they resented us for being foreign ... go figure.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

It now looks like we will be moving to Indianapolis, or a suburb or something nearby. I have been googling the surrounding area and trying to work out where I like the look of! As it will be me and my 4 year old daughter during the day as son will be at school, I guess if we are near a big town/city there will be more to do! (Plus I get to go shopping and buy more shoes and bags!)
Old Jun 10th 2009, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't find any resentment from our neighbours when we arrived. The only resentment we seemed to encounter was from the immigration d**ks at Logan airport in Boston at the various times we came through there with various visas then green cards, although that might be their general attitude towards everyone.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 12:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
We didn't find any resentment from our neighbours when we arrived. The only resentment we seemed to encounter was from the immigration d**ks at Logan airport in Boston at the various times we came through there with various visas then green cards, although that might be their general attitude towards everyone.
aye, they're just a miserable bunch of munters at the airport
Old Jun 11th 2009, 2:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

I think the main thing that will make me stand out like a sore thumb is my pale skin, freckles and my interesting dress sense. And that is all before I open my mouth and the absurd accent I have comes tumbling out!
Lots of Americans have pale skin and freckles. It's all good.

Oh, and as I'm sure you'll learn, your accent won't be considered "absurd", it will be considered cool! Be prepared to have all sorts of people chatting you up just to hear you talk.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 10:46 am
Just Joined

andre uk is on a distinguished road

It now looks like we will be moving to Indianapolis, or a suburb or something nearby. I have been googling the surrounding area and trying to work out where I like the look of! As it will be me and my 4 year old daughter during the day as son will be at school, I guess if we are near a big town/city there will be more to do! (Plus I get to go shopping and buy more shoes and bags!)
sarah my wife is from indy so if you want any help or ideas then drop me a pm we are moving to dallas in a weeks time with my job.

The people in indiana are great and will welcome you with open arms. Everytime i have been out and met family friends or just been shopping they love hearing your accent and take a real interest in where you are from.

good luck
Old Jun 11th 2009, 12:38 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andre uk
sarah my wife is from indy so if you want any help or ideas then drop me a pm we are moving to dallas in a weeks time with my job.

The people in indiana are great and will welcome you with open arms. Everytime i have been out and met family friends or just been shopping they love hearing your accent and take a real interest in where you are from.

good luck
Better hope Dallas is still here next week! With the tornadoes we had through last night and the severe storms today, there may just be mounds of broken timber!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.