Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any pros/cons to when to apply for GC?

Any pros/cons to when to apply for GC?

Old Aug 10th 2011, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any pros/cons to when to apply for GC?

Hi

I am in the US on an L1A visa initially valid for 3 years with the 2 x 2yr extension periods available I believe. Prior to my move here in February this year, my company said they would sponsor me for a green card (at their expense) if I wanted to stay and that they would be surprised if I didn't want to!

Are there any benefits or otherwise to getting the application in motion sooner rather than later or shall I wait a little longer and have a better idea of whether or not I would actually want to stay beyond the visa period?

Thanks for any advice / comments.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 1:19 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any pros/cons to when to apply for GC?

Hi there

My personal opinion would be to go for it as soon as possible particularly if your company are picking up the tab! It gives you far greater security and once you have it the clock can start ticking to become a citizen if that eventually might factor into your plans.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I can't see any benefit to NOT setting the GC process in motion.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
We came back to the UK after a 2 year stint on L visas, and for us the benefit of not getting the GC process started was that my husband remained on his UK terms & conditions (instead of switching to US terms and conditions) and his company paid for our repatriation which would not have happened if we had green cards.

Yes, if you decide you want to have green cards, then no benefit in delaying, but if you are not sure, in some cases it might suit to hedge your bets and hang on.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
We came back to the UK after a 2 year stint on L visas, and for us the benefit of not getting the GC process started was that my husband remained on his UK terms & conditions (instead of switching to US terms and conditions) and his company paid for our repatriation which would not have happened if we had green cards.

Yes, if you decide you want to have green cards, then no benefit in delaying, but if you are not sure, in some cases it might suit to hedge your bets and hang on.
Ah right, very good point, I was only thinking of us as H's.

Funny, I was thinking about you and wondering how you're getting on.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 4:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you're on a US contract once you got here, there's no cons in starting the process ASAP.

If you're on your UK contract, then there could be.

Generally speaking though, you want to get it done as soon as you can, gives you flexibility to move around if things go tits up on you and if you've got kids, not having to worry about them aging out or not being able to work etc.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the replies. I am now on the Companies US terms and conditions but I do have written into my relocation package contract that they will pay to repatriate us back to the UK. I assume therefore that if they then pay and organise GC for me and my husband (no children involved) they might then no longer pay for any repatriation and would possibly do a contract amendment so I would need to clarify this with them I suppose before doing anything further.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoodilicious
I assume therefore that if they then pay and organise GC for me and my husband (no children involved) they might then no longer pay for any repatriation and would possibly do a contract amendment so I would need to clarify this with them I suppose before doing anything further.
If I were you I wouldn't mention it and wait to see if they bring up that issue.

If they do then you can negotiate what you want to have happen.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 3:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

If you are on a L1 visa and get laid off, you have to leave the country immediately. If you have a green card, you can work for any company desired as soon as you get the green card but if you are on a L1 visa, you are stuck with that company.

It may possibly take several years (generally shorter for a LIA visa) to get the green card after you apply and if you are transferred back to the UK or get laid off before you get the green card, you won't get a green card.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

chuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Coming from the lower tax country Singapore, I received professional tax advice to not get a Green Card (unless I had made a final decision to live in USA) due to continuing liability for US taxation on worldwide income after final departure from USA - presumably until the green card expires (6 months?). So depends on your situation and long-term plan.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

Great points to ponder, thank you all for the input - appreciated