Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any possible pitfalls?

Any possible pitfalls?

Old Nov 7th 2017, 12:24 am
Just Joined

AZgal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any possible pitfalls?

On and off for the mast few years we have been researching a move to Arizona from the U.K. We have even just come back from a month actually being in Arizona.

Everything is coming together this time and our research has proved very positive. My Other Half is getting a transfer, I have found a lot of jobs I could apply for, we have chosen 3 areas we’d like to live and visited them, property is all bigger and cheaper than here in the U.K., our general costs would be cheaper, we have a great deal for a car rental until we buy our own, we tried out social groups and loved them, we love the weather, I’m working on all the insurances, we have savings, looked at the logistics of shipping,

But you know that feeling if it all seems too good... So I was wondering has anyone made the move and come across pitfalls or issues that I haven’t thought about?
Old Nov 7th 2017, 12:29 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any possible pitfalls?

Utility bills in Arizona. Rattlesnakes. Healthcare costs.

Jump in, though, and enjoy the party.
Old Nov 7th 2017, 12:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You keep on saying "your other half" Is this your husband, because if not you'll need to get married (no unmarried partner visa for the US).

What visa is he getting? If an L1x then you'll be OK to work; if an Hxx, then you can't work.

One major issue for me would be the summer heat in Arizona
Old Nov 7th 2017, 12:51 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The cost of maintaining a home in the US is off the chart compared to the UK. You should expect to spend about 2% of the value of your home every year over the long term average, to repair and maintain it.

Some of that will be on-going niggling stuff like painting and decorating, servicing your AC system, and stupid plumbing repairs, but every fifteen years or so you will have to fork out anything from $10k to $25k, depending on the size of your house, for a new AC system, and about the same amount every 15-20 years for a new roof. You can mitigate a good bit of the cost if you're good at DIY, but it can get tiresome year after year forever repairing and replacing stuff.

So bear that in mind that your $300,000 "bargain" home is going to cost you around $100/week in repairs and maintenance!

And that doesn't include maintaining a pool - most of those aren't "permanent" and will need a new liner, pump, and filter from time to time.

======================

Don't be fooled by the price of gas, you will be driving a LOT further.

The "low cost of eating out" is also a trap - it can easily cost you a fortune if you eat out a lot more often.

Do you have/want children? A child in America is just a giant money sponge - everything about children just drains your bank account!

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 7th 2017 at 12:56 am.
Old Nov 7th 2017, 12:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You keep on saying "your other half" Is this your husband, because if not you'll need to get married (no unmarried partner visa for the US).

What visa is he getting? If an L1x then you'll be OK to work; if an Hxx, then you can't work.

One major issue for me would be the summer heat in Arizona
He will be getting the Lx visa, we aren’t married yet but it’s fast approaching (December). We were in Phoenix recently and it was over 100F, it was incredibly hot not denying that but with everywhere being air conditioned and we would be commuting around 7am and after 5pm I’m hoping that it won’t be unbearable (well more bearable than working outdoors or something!! We like the heat so that’s hopefully helpful!
Old Nov 7th 2017, 12:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Utility bills in Arizona. Rattlesnakes. Healthcare costs.

Jump in, though, and enjoy the party.
Saw loads of rattlesnakes during our visit it’s the spiders I dislike!!!
Old Nov 7th 2017, 1:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The cost of maintaining a home in the US is off the chart compared to the UK. You should expect to spend about 2% of the value of your home every year over the long term average, to repair and maintain it.

Some of that will be on-going niggling stuff like painting and decorating, servicing your AC system, and stupid plumbing repairs, but every fifteen years or so you will have to fork out anything from $10k to $25k, depending on the size of your house, for a new AC system, and about the same amount every 15-20 years for a new roof. You can mitigate a good bit of the cost if you're good at DIY, but it can get tiresome year after year forever repairing and replacing stuff.

So bear that in mind that your $300,000 "bargain" home is going to cost you around $100/week in repairs and maintenance!

And that doesn't include maintaining a pool - most of those aren't "permanent" and will need a new liner, pump, and filter from time to time.

======================

Don't be fooled by the price of gas, you will be driving a LOT further.

The "low cost of eating out" is also a trap - it can easily cost you a fortune if you eat out a lot more often.

Do you have/want children? A child in America is just a giant money sponge - everything about children just drains your bank account!

We don’t have / want children so that’s one expense solved lol

We found eating out expansive so that’s one thing we will have to reduce I think but I don’t mind that so much. Hadn’t considered the cost of running AC so that’s definite something I will add on thank you
Old Nov 7th 2017, 1:28 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Being from the U.K. where you have a distinction between seasons and a lush, green landscape you might feel a little short-changed in AZ.

Here are the things that I have found ridiculously expensive here compared to Europe:

- good food (both groceries and restaurants)
- insurance (car, travel, health)
- utilities ( we get water from our well but electricity, internet and phones are much more expensive)
- small electrical appliances
- basic housewares (don't get me started on pillow cases!)
- anything needed for the winter (annoyingly for us as we have had snow since October 12 but maybe not a problem for you!)

Last edited by Twinkle0927; Nov 7th 2017 at 1:31 am.
Old Nov 7th 2017, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Get a green card written in blood by the company.
Old Nov 7th 2017, 1:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
Being from the U.K. where you have a distinction between seasons and a lush, green landscape you might feel a little short-changed in AZ.

Here are the things that I have found ridiculously expensive here compared to Europe:

- good food (both groceries and restaurants)
- insurance (car, travel, health)
- utilities ( we get water from our well but electricity, internet and phones are much more expensive)
- small electrical appliances
- basic housewares (don't get me started on pillow cases!)
- anything needed for the winter (annoyingly for us as we have had snow since October 12 but maybe not a problem for you!)
Now you have me intrigued about pillow cases!
Old Nov 7th 2017, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AZgal
Now you have me intrigued about pillow cases!
Like anything... you can buy cheap ones from Walmart or expensive ones from department stores.

One thing to note that linen sizes are different in the US.
Old Nov 7th 2017, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AZgal
He will be getting the Lx visa, we aren’t married yet but it’s fast approaching (December). We were in Phoenix recently and it was over 100F, it was incredibly hot not denying that but with everywhere being air conditioned and we would be commuting around 7am and after 5pm I’m hoping that it won’t be unbearable (well more bearable than working outdoors or something!! We like the heat so that’s hopefully helpful!
It's not the working in the office that's a problem (they are always air conditioned), it's the not being able to get out and about when temperatures are in the 90's and 100's for days on end.

I don't care what anyone says about "it's a dry heat" one cannot comfortably do anything outdoors (hiking, golfing, riding, just plain walking around) when it's that hot.

Agree with what other have said, if you are buying a house property taxes are very high compared to council tax in the UK.
Old Nov 7th 2017, 3:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
It's not the working in the office that's a problem (they are always air conditioned), it's the not being able to get out and about when temperatures are in the 90's and 100's for days on end.

I don't care what anyone says about "it's a dry heat" one cannot comfortably do anything outdoors (hiking, golfing, riding, just plain walking around) when it's that hot.

Agree with what other have said, if you are buying a house property taxes are very high compared to council tax in the UK.
You should take a trip to Flagstaff, it's a lot cooler.

I think Phoenix has the best pasty shop.

AZ property maintenance I believe is a little easier on the pocket due to the dry heat.

I found the winter clothing in Scottsdale to be very reasonable when I was there last February.

Almost everything of any quality seems to be more expensive here, furniture, houseware and food. Of course you can still buy factory farmed chickens and pink slime, or made in China stuff.

Prices of secondhand goods are just plain crazy, sometimes people want more for stuff than it costs to buy new. This also goes for used cars.
Old Nov 7th 2017, 9:40 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

you're young. in good physical health, no kids to worry about and will have 2 salaries soon. Go for it!

Any pitfalls that might crop up you will deal with.

If you are close to your family/haven't moved far from them yet then you might well feel homesick. Visiting a place is not the same as living there... you might end up stuck at home feeling bored/frustrated until your EAD comes through.

BTW on your earlier post about your prescription, most Drs seem to hand out mild anti-depressants like smarties.
Old Nov 7th 2017, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

AndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
The weather in the UK for the most part now is cool and wet ALL YEAR round(I live in the midlands currently).

This all applies to UK housing too. Why do people in the US seem to think housing and cost of living is low in the UK? My council tax is nearly $2000 a year for a small property and house repair is a constant here because of the cool wet climate year round.

Last edited by AndyMan74; Nov 7th 2017 at 11:04 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.