British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Any other vegetarians/vegans out there? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/any-other-vegetarians-vegans-out-there-481135/)

gazza64 Sep 14th 2007 2:14 pm

Any other vegetarians/vegans out there?

Hi Gang,

Just wondered if there is any other veggies or vegans on this site? My USC wife and i are both vegan. I was veggie for about 10yrs and then vegan for approx 2yrs. My wife has been vegan for abt 1yr.

How do you find being vegan /veggie in the USA? I`ve only been over here for nearly 1yr, but find it ok in the most part. Can be a little frustrating eating out sometimes, IE eating salad or side dishes etc. We`re currently in FL, but are moving to Missouri soon.

Gaz

another bloody yank Sep 14th 2007 2:35 pm

Re: Any other vegetarians/vegans out there?

Originally Posted by gazza64 (Post 5311298)
Hi Gang,

Just wondered if there is any other veggies or vegans on this site? My USC wife and i are both vegan. I was veggie for about 10yrs and then vegan for approx 2yrs. My wife has been vegan for abt 1yr.

How do you find being vegan /veggie in the USA? I`ve only been over here for nearly 1yr, but find it ok in the most part. Can be a little frustrating eating out sometimes, IE eating salad or side dishes etc. We`re currently in FL, but are moving to Missouri soon.

Gaz

Umm, where in Missouri were you planning to be vegans?:huh:

gazza64 Sep 14th 2007 2:42 pm

Hi,

Wife and i are moving near to Sainte Genevieve. Do you know it?

We`re planning regular trips to St. Louis to get our Indian curry fix, plus load up with goodies from Wholefoods.
We know it`ll be tougher being vegan in the midwest than in FL, but we`ll just have eat at home more.

Gaz

another bloody yank Sep 14th 2007 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by gazza64 (Post 5311412)
Hi,

Wife and i are moving near to Sainte Genevieve. Do you know it?

We`re planning regular trips to St. Louis to get our Indian curry fix, plus load up with goodies from Wholefoods.
We know it`ll be tougher being vegan in the midwest than in FL, but we`ll just have eat at home more.

Gaz

Yes, I know it, but not well. Very interesting place with a little history to it. I do know St. Louis though, and there are plenty of vegans there. Most "American" type restaurants will be a problem, but there are tons of ethnic places, it's a very diverse place. I'm talking about STL, BTW. I haven't been to St. Gen in years.

gazza64 Sep 14th 2007 2:59 pm

Yes, a couple of weeks ago ,we flew up to look some a few properties in the St Gen area. It was great walking and looking at all the old buildings, well in US terms old!
We chose that area cos, i`ll be working in St louis, and my wife in Cape Girardeau, so St Gen is approx half way between each.

We`re both used to finding our way around American restaurants menu`s now trying to find a vegan option. Sometimes it`s easy, sometimes not!

Can`t wait to near a big city again. I grew up London, so i miss all the hustle and bustle of a big city.

Gaz

Bob Sep 14th 2007 4:53 pm

It'll be bloody expensive, eating out can be a major hassle...but that all depends on where you live, up in Maine, they'd think you were a freak, but out in Mass, it's a bit more accepted...still expensive.

another bloody yank Sep 14th 2007 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by gazza64 (Post 5311477)
I grew up London, so i miss all the hustle and bustle of a big city.

Gaz

Well, Chicago is only 5 hours away!:lol:

Really, St. Louis is a wonderful city, but if you're expecting anything close to London you're setting yourself up for some dissapointment! :p

If you have any specific questions about St. Louis just ask...

franc11s Sep 14th 2007 8:43 pm

Gotta say it, I love my food and if it ain't got no meat, I'm lost... A good rare steak and horse-radish.. Yum.

Are you guys really thin (rag and bones). I mean that nicely but most Vegans I meet look so unhealthy (thin like too many models). I'm sure you are not unhealthy but just curious.

ANd why not share why you don't eat meat. Is it medical or you don't like the way we treat our "food'. Again, just curious.

have a nice weekend..

Glen Ellyn Service Crew Sep 15th 2007 1:51 am

Vegan 75%, Vegatarian 25%, Chicago here.

gazza64 Sep 15th 2007 2:09 pm

Franc11,

No, not skinny, just a normal weight and healthy :) I`m 6 foot, and weigh about 175 pounds give or take. I don`t around preaching about it, but i`ll tell people if they ask. Nor do i have a " holier than thou" attitude. I do sometimes miss the taste of meat, especially bacon, but i don`t think i`d ever go back to eating meat again.

I went veggie for a few reasons :

1, just couldn`t stand eating something that had once been living, breathing, thinking, and feeling just like us, maybe not on the same level of course, but does that give us the right to eat it?

2, Help the environment. Paul Mccartney once said" the best and easiest way to help the planet is to go veggie". You just wouldn`t believe the amount of land needed to help sustain and feed livestock. Plus the problems of their waste entering the water chain etc. Land that could be used to grow to crops or to remain as rainforest! Also cow`s emissions (farts) also seriously contribute to global warming, second only behind cars etc.
Over fished oceans, need i say more!
Abused animals in zoos and inhumane ways of killing abbatoirs.

3, For my own health. Veggies are proven on average to have less cancer and heart problems. The two biggest killers in the western world.

Gaz

Ray Sep 15th 2007 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by gazza64 (Post 5315058)
1, just couldn`t stand eating something that had once been living, breathing, thinking, and feeling just like us, maybe not on the same level of course, but does that give us the right to eat it?

Well!! yes ..we are the highest form of carbon unit ...
and can and will do as we like ....
People like you irritate me me so much ..I will
put you on ignore in case you go on about it again ....

Sally Sep 15th 2007 4:45 pm

I'm a vegetarian* and find it a little more difficult here, I used to use quorn and more Indian food, somewhere like Trader Joe's and Whole Foods will carry more vegetarian items (if they have those stores in Missouri), also you can get refried beans not prepared with lard and knock up some Mexican stuff without meat.

*I am much less strict than I was because I wouldn't want to offend anyone at a social gathering but when eating meat I am highly aware of what it is. Meat production certainly is very wasteful and polluting

Ray, don't jump down his throat he's not trying to take your steak away!!

Ray Sep 15th 2007 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Sally (Post 5315566)
Ray, don't jump down his throat he's not trying to take your steak away!!

It would have to be from my cold dead hands...
and you nearly went on ignore then.. just saying the word Quorn

Sally Sep 15th 2007 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5315579)

Phew

Tarkak9 Sep 15th 2007 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5315579)

their song - freak on a leash wasn't 'alf bad... but it got over played; video of the bullet travelling through everything was entertaining...minimally.

Had they gone with freak on a cob... wouldn't have bean the same.