British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Any other Brits in Columbus Ohio? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/any-other-brits-columbus-ohio-342141/)

marksandy Dec 10th 2005 6:57 pm

Any other Brits in Columbus Ohio?

If there are any other Brits here in Central Ohio then drop me a line.

Why can't Columbus Ohio have a theme club (British) or a pub (British) it's got to be better than working in a car dealership.....Nothing worse than selling an American product and telling the customer how well it's built.... :D

Come on geezers, lets have your opinions.....Someone must have so money to invest and bring a little of home to America.

Mark

Terrier Dec 10th 2005 7:30 pm

Re: Any other Brits in Columbus Ohio?

Originally Posted by marksandy

Why can't Columbus Ohio have a theme club (British) or a pub (British) it's got to be better than working in a car dealership.....Nothing worse than selling an American product and telling the customer how well it's built.... :D

Come on geezers, lets have your opinions.....Someone must have so money to invest and bring a little of home to America.

Mark

There is a Mini owners club that meets in Columbus once a month and I believe there a few Brits there. They used to meet in Tommy's pizza joint close to campus.

webby1983 Dec 11th 2005 6:03 pm

Hey,

I'm not living in Columbus yet but I've been offered a job in the Dublin area.
I'm going to be coming over on Wednesday this week for a few meetings about the job and my visa etc.
I've never been to Columbus before but I've done a little research on it over the net and from friends and from what I can make out it seems like a pretty cool city - lots going on, lots of bars and clubs with OSU being based there too?! The only bad thing that I can see about it is the weather - it looks absolutely freezing!!!?

What would you say it was like? Is it worth me moving there? Can you make any recommedations of places to buy a house, go visit and generally hang out?

Lee

Nia_Nia Dec 12th 2005 12:36 pm

I feel for you Marksandy I really do! Columbus is an absolute hole. My husbands best friend lives in Columbus and works as a jockey at Beulah park so we have been to visit him on a number of occasions (we live in Pittsburgh - only a couple of hours away) and every time I've been Ive thought the same thing, what a dreary minger of a place.
I hope you find some brits nearby to brighten up the place for you!

britvic Dec 12th 2005 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Nia_Nia
I feel for you Marksandy I really do! Columbus is an absolute hole. My husbands best friend lives in Columbus and works as a jockey at Beulah park so we have been to visit him on a number of occasions (we live in Pittsburgh - only a couple of hours away) and every time I've been Ive thought the same thing, what a dreary minger of a place.

Have to agree with you Nia, we lived in Columbus when we first came over here, I hated the place with a passion, never met any Brits in the 18 months we lived there.

CarlM Dec 12th 2005 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by marksandy

Mark

20 mins down the road in Lancaster! We are in Columbus every weekend tho.. for its 'culture' (i use the word in its vaguest possible form)

Try Ye Olde Bag of Nails.. its a british themed pub in Worthington (It about as british as a Swiss Roll, but some excellent single malt choices)

MrDub Dec 12th 2005 5:06 pm

Hey Lee,

Despite all the comments above its not so bad (thats what Im telling myself anyway !). I arrived here a few weeks ago from New York. Initially, after walking around on a Saturday night in 'downtown' columbus I wanted to get on the next plane out of here. However, having lived here for all of 4 weeks I find it is actually not so bad...once you know where to go. There is stuff to do both at nights and during the weekend you just gotta plan a bit in advance.

Areas to head out in are:

1. Short North...some trendy bars there and seems to be the most consistently lively area of Columbus at night.
2. Easton area (where I live)...If you like shopping this is where to go (my wife hangs out here a lot). There are also a few bars/resteraunts/comedy clubs located in this 'complex'.
3. German town..this is where I would buy a house...its a nice area. I havent been out here but apparently there are lots of nice bars scattered around. I think this seems to be more a summer going-0ut place as there are lots of fiestivals organised for this area.
4. Areana Distric...close to Short North. A few okay bars here...nothing to write home about though.

and yes it is absolutely freezing here....

Niall.

Originally Posted by webby1983
Hey,

I'm not living in Columbus yet but I've been offered a job in the Dublin area.
I'm going to be coming over on Wednesday this week for a few meetings about the job and my visa etc.
I've never been to Columbus before but I've done a little research on it over the net and from friends and from what I can make out it seems like a pretty cool city - lots going on, lots of bars and clubs with OSU being based there too?! The only bad thing that I can see about it is the weather - it looks absolutely freezing!!!?

What would you say it was like? Is it worth me moving there? Can you make any recommedations of places to buy a house, go visit and generally hang out?

Lee

MrDub Dec 12th 2005 5:18 pm

Mark,
Below is a link to a 'young professionals club' in Columbus, you can check out some pictures there and see what it entails. I havent been yet, though a few people i work with (including a few brits) have gone along and said it was reasonably fun....

I reckon I will go too, just to see, sometime early in the new year.

"CYP Club holds social, networking and charity events throughout the city and membership is free. We connect young professionals from all over the Columbus area and have more than 600 members (and growing). More info is online at www.cypclub.com. We will definitely add you to our e-mail list"

Niall.

CarlM Dec 13th 2005 12:08 pm

Alright calm it down.. Its not that bad! Did you say you lived in Pittsburg or Palm Beach??

Nia_Nia Dec 13th 2005 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by CarlM
Alright calm it down.. Its not that bad! Did you say you lived in Pittsburg or Palm Beach??

Correction dear boy, I live in SEWICKLEY a suburb of Pittsburgh, and let me tell you if you palm beach doesn't hold a candle to it. :p

CarlM Dec 13th 2005 12:34 pm

Correction dear boy, I live in SEWICKLEY a suburb of Pittsburgh, and let me tell you if you palm beach doesn't hold a candle to it. :p

Isnt Sewickly where Trump wants to move when he has saved up enough??

Nia_Nia Dec 13th 2005 12:35 pm

Isnt Sewickly where Trump wants to move when he has saved up enough??

Ah so you've heard of it? :)

CarlM Dec 13th 2005 12:40 pm

Ah so you've heard of it? :)

Nope - but i was being polite!

Nia_Nia Dec 13th 2005 12:48 pm

Nope - but i was being polite!

Makes a bloody change doesn't it? :p
Yes its true despite my humble beginnings in Bangor North Wales I have climbed the social ladder to the dizzy heights of Sewickley PA. Actually we just moved here a week ago and I love it, the reason being that its very 'British' they have PAVEMENTS for god's sake! Now come on if thats not a reason to move to a place I don't know what is! :D

CarlM Dec 13th 2005 12:51 pm

Makes a bloody change doesn't it? :p
Yes its true despite my humble beginnings in Bangor North Wales I have climbed the social ladder to the dizzy heights of Sewickley PA. Actually we just moved here a week ago and I love it, the reason being that its very 'British' they have PAVEMENTS for god's sake! Now come on if thats not a reason to move to a place I don't know what is! :D

Fair point - i can be an acerbic git!

Pavements.. the word is flitting around somewhere in the recess of my memory.. cant think why!