Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any one live in Charlotte N.C

Wikiposts

Any one live in Charlotte N.C

Old Feb 3rd 2006, 8:37 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Any one live in Charlotte N.C

Originally Posted by TruBrit
ta very much, that's the nicest thing anyone's said to me today hey we've hi-jacked the thread shock horror...the poor op has not returned
oohhh that's the first time I've ever done that
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 10:15 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nick333
Am due to fly into charlotte for 6 week holiday in Wilmington in August. I need to hire a car for the period. I have checked out the big national hire companies in Charlotte who are wanting silly money. Does anyone know of a local hire firm or can anyone make any recommendations.

Many thanks in anticipation.
I live in NC. Why are you flying into Charlotte which is the far west of the state when your holiday is in Wilmington (at the beach, on the other side of the state)?

RDU is the nearest major airport to Charlotte.

For cheaper car hire, I believe it's better to hire from companies who are not based at the airport, i.e. you have to take a shuttle bus to get to their office.

NC Penguin
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Am due to fly into charlotte for 6 week holiday in Wilmington in August. I need to hire a car for the period. I have checked out the big national hire companies in Charlotte who are wanting silly money. Does anyone know of a local hire firm or can anyone make any recommendations.

Many thanks in anticipation.
What do you mean by crazy money?
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I live in NC. Why are you flying into Charlotte which is the far west of the state when your holiday is in Wilmington (at the beach, on the other side of the state)?

RDU is the nearest major airport to Charlotte.

For cheaper car hire, I believe it's better to hire from companies who are not based at the airport, i.e. you have to take a shuttle bus to get to their office.

NC Penguin
Could fly to Myrtle Beach and go from there, it is only up the road, so to speak. Subject to what the exra hop might cost of course.
Old Feb 5th 2006, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

nick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud of

Thanks Rushman very helpful lol

Sue, yes driving directly to Wilmington, reckon its about 3.5 - 4 hours drive.

NCPenguin, flying with two kids, next best alternative was to fly to JFK transfer to la guardia and jump a hopper plane to wilmington. The charlotte option seems to be easier for the kids

Tony the nationals want over £1000 for a small car
Old Feb 5th 2006, 1:03 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

I would say that a drive from Charlotte would be more of a 5-6 hour drive and it's pretty boring drive at that. Nothing but trees, trees and some more trees

I agree with NC Penguin it would make far more sense to fly into Raleigh, that way the drive time will be radically reduced. Also Raleigh may have more car hire options.

Sue

NCPenguin, flying with two kids, next best alternative was to fly to JFK transfer to la guardia and jump a hopper plane to wilmington. The charlotte option seems to be easier for the kids

Old Feb 5th 2006, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Try getting quotes for 28 days and then change your booking when you are there... or re-rent the same car.
A lot of firms have a 28 day rule, and charge you more if you keep the car for more as you are a greater risk?!?!?!?
might save you a couple of hundred $.
Old Feb 5th 2006, 3:09 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Sue's correct about the driving time from Charlotte to Wilmington. I live in the Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area) and it take me 3.5 hours to drive to Charlotte!

Where are you flying from in the UK? Gatwick has a non-stop flight to RDU, the Raleigh/Durham airport.

NC Penguin
Old Feb 5th 2006, 5:58 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nick,

well I say both Sue and NCP are incorrect! I live in Wilmington and drive to Charlotte 3 or 4 times a year. Its about a 4 hour drive, the airport is on the opposite side of the city so if you hit bad traffic it can add half and hour or so.

As for RDU is the closest airport, Wilmington is indeed the closest airport to Wilmington, in fact it is less than 5 miles from the city center. Myrtle Beach is a close second, then RDU with a direct flight from Gatwick with AA then Charlotte. The drive from RDU is only 2 and half hours but it is one road and without a doubt one of the most boring roads in the country! At least coming from Charlotte it is a mix of roads (2 lane, 4 lane).

If you need any advice about Wilmington let me know.

Patrick
Old Feb 6th 2006, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

nick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud of

Thanks Sue, Basement, NC and Patrick.
Will look into the 28 day limit re the car.
The RDU flight as it is direct could be a great option so will look at costs and whether it worth jumping a hopper plane or driving to Wilmington.

Patrick i will be staying in Leland and will be looking after my kids (11 and 9) for 4 of the 6 weeks as my wife will be studying. Can i bombard you with ?'s nearer the time please.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions
Old Feb 6th 2006, 8:16 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Sue, Basement, NC and Patrick.
Will look into the 28 day limit re the car.
The RDU flight as it is direct could be a great option so will look at costs and whether it worth jumping a hopper plane or driving to Wilmington.

Patrick i will be staying in Leland and will be looking after my kids (11 and 9) for 4 of the 6 weeks as my wife will be studying. Can i bombard you with ?'s nearer the time please.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions
PM'd you

if you fly to raleigh you will have to drive, the only direct flights into ILM (Wilmington) are from Charlotte, NY La Guardia and Philadelphia

Last edited by Patrick; Feb 6th 2006 at 8:22 am.
Old Feb 6th 2006, 10:51 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

4 Weeks at $153.55 per week. Unlimited mileage.
Ist to 28 aug...
Base Rate: $614.20
U.S. Dollar (USD)

Total Estimated Charges: $757.51
Click Here for Rate Details

Your Lowest Rates on Dollar.com

Taxes, Surcharges & Fees
APT CONC RECOV FEE $68.24
STATE TAX $54.60
COUNTY RENTAL TAX $20.47

U.S. Dollar (USD)

The max you can get is 28 days.. then you have to go back and sign up for the extra two weeks ..
More like a $1000 than a 1000GBP
http://www.dollar.com/index.aspx
Old Feb 6th 2006, 12:44 pm
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
4 Weeks at $153.55 per week. Unlimited mileage.
Ist to 28 aug...
U.S. Dollar (USD)

Click Here for Rate Details

Your Lowest Rates on Dollar.com

Taxes, Surcharges & Fees
APT CONC RECOV FEE $68.24
STATE TAX $54.60
COUNTY RENTAL TAX $20.47

U.S. Dollar (USD)

The max you can get is 28 days.. then you have to go back and sign up for the extra two weeks ..
More like a $1000 than a 1000GBP
http://www.dollar.com/index.aspx
Always happy to help......