Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any one else notice?

Wikiposts

Any one else notice?

Old Sep 27th 2005, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any one else notice?

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
You might find that its not just the problem of peanut allergy but peanuts are a big choking hazard for young children. Even if they swallow them they sometimes do not digest them correctly and they become lodged in the lungs and cause horrific problems. It is not wise to give a baby or toddler peanuts and this has been advise from health care workers here and in the UK for years now.

Mind you I dont see why there should be a problem of a pregnant woman eating nuts, I mean her old man shouldn't be deprived should he
Fair point..I should have remembered the choking thing as my son can choke on just about anything he eats.. :scared:
I read a terrible story a couple of months ago about a 4 y/o girl who choked to death in a supermarket, her Granny was letting her eat grapes whilst they walked about and one got stuck..
I do cut them in half now although most of the time he gets them out of the fridge himself.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Yep seen that one and they use the leptoprin ad as well, how does that work?
Its a supplement rather than a drug.... it would be cheaper for you to drink green tea.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 1:00 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Its a supplement rather than a drug.... it would be cheaper for you to drink green tea.
Ta limey but I have the physique of a 24 year old (Elephant), I meant, how do they get away with using the oppositions commercial
Old Sep 27th 2005, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Ta limey but I have the physique of a 24 year old (Elephant), I meant, how do they get away with using the oppositions commercial
I have no idea....
Old Sep 27th 2005, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Your alway's on my case I'm not going to start a slagging match.
I shall not respond to any of your remarks/comments again.....no matter how much I disagree with what you say. I'm sorry that you took what I said as a slag off, or anything else. I have my opinions and I have a right to say what I want, just as you do. But, as I stated in the beginning, I won't respond to your comments again.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
apparantly they're more likely to develop an allergic reaction if you give them nuts at a young age, which is why you're not supposed to eat them when you're pregnant..loads of bollocks if you ask me, I didn't stop eating anything when I was pregnant, in fact one book I was given when pregnant with my son positively encouraged you to eat peanuts.. my son also had his first spoonful of peanut butter at 6 months old..along with soft boiled eggs, actually he had raw eggs in my carbonara sauce (which was his favourite meal for ages) and everything else I was told not to give him..(chicken balti was another of his favourites)
my advice, read nothing about babies and what to feed them and you'll be fine
We went to Rome when I was 5 months pregnant....and of course I ate pretty much everything. Only to come back and find out I wasn't supposed to be eating most of what I ate!!
Old Sep 27th 2005, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kevntrace
Thanks! That solves one of life's little mysteries.

So is generic acetaminophen available here, just as you can get generic paracetamol in the UK? I hate buying branded drugs when a perfectly acceptable generic is available (my mum's influence, bless her).
I always buy generic ibuprofen, acetaminophen, whatever.....I'm not rich enough to give the drug companies more money.....
Old Sep 27th 2005, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Logic would suggest that if you expose them to the allergens early on, they would be less likely to get an allergic reaction. Either that or they're going to get the reaction whatever you do. Then again, I know nussink... I'm from Barthelona. Apparently babies that grow up in houses where the mother is incredibly houseproud and clears away cobwebs and dust as soon as it gathers are more likely to have allergies to dustmites and so on. It bodes well for my child anyway

As soon as my kid is on solids, it'll eat whatever we're eating and be grateful for it. Even if it swells up like a sodding balloon
Yeap I remember reading about the research done on that... there you go problem solved the yanks are clean freaks so the kids are more allergic and us brits are the scruffy sods who never clean house and expose our kids to everything

Ash
Old Sep 27th 2005, 6:53 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
OMG.. :scared: thats horrendous, how did they take a 4 year old's word for it then forget to ask you..Jeez. Hope you gave them what for..
Yeah, its OK though cos apparently they'd been letting him have a couple of ciggies and a can of lager at breaktime to make up for it, cos he told them Mum and Dad let him

Last edited by Yorkieabroad; Sep 27th 2005 at 7:23 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 8:00 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevntrace
Anybody know why you can't buy paracetamol over here? No Americans seem to know what it is, and I've never seen it at any pharmacy.

Overdosing on paracetamol is a bad thing. My mum was a nurse and said folks who did that would often recover enough to regret it, then their liver (or kidney, I forget which ) would give out then they would usually die. Very sad.
Don't know if any of the nurses on here can validate what I'm saying , but I have a brother who is a nurse in the UK and he looked into transferring to America to work for a while. He was put off by the fact that for practically every drug he knows, it has an alternative name in America, I think I remember him saying even adrenalin had a diferent name in the US.
Have you ever seen the Chris Rock stand up bit where he talks about how there is 'too much food' in America, and then goes on to make some interesting (and very funny) points about there being no lactose intolerant people in Africa?
The influence of drug companies in America is massive and books about how it is in their best interests to keep America reaching for the pills are all food for thought. There are definitely some more sinister motives behind all those bottles of pills on the shelves.
"Generation Rx" by Greg Critser and 'The Truth About the Drug Companies' by Dr M. Angell
are books I've only read excerpts from but are both touching on the subject of how profitable it is to keep the nation thinking they're sick.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:55 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sarah
Don't know if any of the nurses on here can validate what I'm saying , but I have a brother who is a nurse in the UK and he looked into transferring to America to work for a while. He was put off by the fact that for practically every drug he knows, it has an alternative name in America, I think I remember him saying even adrenalin had a diferent name in the US.
Have you ever seen the Chris Rock stand up bit where he talks about how there is 'too much food' in America, and then goes on to make some interesting (and very funny) points about there being no lactose intolerant people in Africa?
The influence of drug companies in America is massive and books about how it is in their best interests to keep America reaching for the pills are all food for thought. There are definitely some more sinister motives behind all those bottles of pills on the shelves.
"Generation Rx" by Greg Critser and 'The Truth About the Drug Companies' by Dr M. Angell
are books I've only read excerpts from but are both touching on the subject of how profitable it is to keep the nation thinking they're sick.

The Evil Triad of Insurance, Food and Drug companies. Healthy citizens eat less, pay less insurance and spend less on drugs. Sickly neurotic citizens eat lots of high fat (and high fructose corn syrup which is proven to cause obesity) containing foods, need high insurance premiums and spend a load on drugs. As a CEO or interested party in these companies which sort of citizens would you prefer to have?
Old Sep 28th 2005, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

There's a book called 'natural cures they don't want you to know about' written by Kevin Trudeau. I'm not sure if this guy is genuine or not but he does talk alot of sense. I've noticed recently that the media has had it in for him and are saying he's a convicted felon which makes me wonder if there is a motive for them to discredit him. I have pasted an ex-cert describing his book.

Kevin Trudeau blows the lid off a nest of deception and double standards concerning general and individual health in this new updated book: "Natural Cures 'They' Don't Want You To Know About". Mr. Trudeau has risked government prosecution to bring you the full story of an intricate conspiracy and unholy alliance.

The revolutionary book, "Natural Cures 'They' Don't Want You to Know About" by Kevin Trudeau, talks about the reasons you are sick and how the American Medical Association, Federal Trade Commission, the Food and Drug Administration, and the pharmaceutical cartels are suppressing information about natural remedies and natural cures for virtually every disease. Buy the book and learn about the unholy alliance between the federal agencies, the FDA and the FTC, and the pharmaceutical industry and how they work together to suppress the truth about natural healing.

Learn about natural cures for over 50 specific diseases in Kevin's 2nd edition of this highly controversial book. Also, learn about the natural ways to cure yourself of virtually every disease.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ladylisa
There's a book called 'natural cures they don't want you to know about' written by Kevin Trudeau. I'm not sure if this guy is genuine or not but he does talk alot of sense. I've noticed recently that the media has had it in for him and are saying he's a convicted felon which makes me wonder if there is a motive for them to discredit him. I have pasted an ex-cert describing his book.

Kevin Trudeau blows the lid off a nest of deception and double standards concerning general and individual health in this new updated book: "Natural Cures 'They' Don't Want You To Know About". Mr. Trudeau has risked government prosecution to bring you the full story of an intricate conspiracy and unholy alliance.

The revolutionary book, "Natural Cures 'They' Don't Want You to Know About" by Kevin Trudeau, talks about the reasons you are sick and how the American Medical Association, Federal Trade Commission, the Food and Drug Administration, and the pharmaceutical cartels are suppressing information about natural remedies and natural cures for virtually every disease. Buy the book and learn about the unholy alliance between the federal agencies, the FDA and the FTC, and the pharmaceutical industry and how they work together to suppress the truth about natural healing.

Learn about natural cures for over 50 specific diseases in Kevin's 2nd edition of this highly controversial book. Also, learn about the natural ways to cure yourself of virtually every disease.
Didn't he claim to have a natural cure for Cancer?
Old Sep 28th 2005, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Didn't he claim to have a natural cure for Cancer?
I havent read his book but I think I recall him saying something like that.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 11:58 am

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Maybe I am just imaging it too... but it seems like Americans suffer with a lot more allergies etc... in the local supermarket there are rows and rows of allergy meds, I don't remember seeing that in England either.

We were at a party this weekend and a woman who is in her early 40's had found out recently she was lactose intolerant (not that I am saing it can't happen - just seems weird that you reach 40 before you find out )

Ash
Not sure about lactose intolerance, but you can get allergies at any age and often some don't develop until later in life. I had mild hayfever for many years and never took anything for it, but in my late thirties suddenly developed chronic hives. I hate taking medications, but at the moment I have to rely on double doses of antihistamines just to keep the hives at bay (and even that doesn't stop the itching).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.