Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any one else notice?

Wikiposts

Any one else notice?

Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:29 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any one else notice?

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I was told by my daughter's health visitor that we shouldn't give her any form of peanuts until she was 5....we didn't wait that long, thankfully she was ok.
This seems weird to me - what was their reasoning? Do the allergic reactions get less bad as the child gets older? Are their bodies more able to cope with it?
Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
And they always read the huge list of small print and possible side effects on every advert incredibly quickly and with music playing over the top so you can't understand a thing they're saying
Too true....scary! :scared:
Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

This seems weird to me - what was their reasoning? Do the allergic reactions get less bad as the child gets older? Are their bodies more able to cope with it?
I can't remember exactly....perhaps their bodies are more able to cope....
Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:31 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

FFS, you didn't say it, but you implied it. Just as before when you made the comment that every American leaves their dogs tied up in their backyards.....where does that come from????
To be fair, I took it as being about men, which is true to a certain extent, we tend to make a big fuss about small ailments, but say F all about the things that kill us.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:32 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Don't even mention allergies. It was decided that Elina was allergic to wheat( gluten) and dairy a few years ago, although she does get an upset stomach if she eats both. No ice-cream, chocolate etc for her so I doubt she is making it up. Anyway she went on this course of allergy injections for bloody months about 2 - 3 years ago ( when I had health insurance). I thought it was all a scam in my opinion, but she doesn't ask for much so I let her go and get injected........ and no they were not 'meat injections'
Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

FFS, you didn't say it, but you implied it. Just as before when you made the comment that every American leaves their dogs tied up in their backyards.....where does that come from????
Your alway's on my case I'm not going to start a slagging match.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:34 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Don't even mention allergies. It was decided that Elina was allergic to wheat( gluten) and dairy a few years ago, although she does get an upset stomach if she eats both. No ice-cream, chocolate etc for her so I doubt she is making it up. Anyway she went on this course of allergy injections for bloody months about 2 - 3 years ago ( when I had health insurance). I thought it was all a scam in my opinion, but she doesn't ask for much so I let her go and get injected........ and no they were not 'meat injections'
I've got a great recipe for coconut ice cream, made with coconut milk so it's dairy free and it's incredibly easy to make. If she'd be interested, I'll pm it to you.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:37 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a great recipe for coconut ice cream, made with coconut milk so it's dairy free and it's incredibly easy to make. If she'd be interested, I'll pm it to you.
That's nice of you. She eats that soy stuff, it's not bad but I prefer B & J Chunky Monkey or Haagan Dasz Rum & raisin - even my ice cream has to have booze in it
PM it over that's great - or put in on your blog?
Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

apparantly they're more likely to develop an allergic reaction if you give them nuts at a young age, which is why you're not supposed to eat them when you're pregnant..loads of bollocks if you ask me, I didn't stop eating anything when I was pregnant, in fact one book I was given when pregnant with my son positively encouraged you to eat peanuts.. my son also had his first spoonful of peanut butter at 6 months old..along with soft boiled eggs, actually he had raw eggs in my carbonara sauce (which was his favourite meal for ages) and everything else I was told not to give him..(chicken balti was another of his favourites)
my advice, read nothing about babies and what to feed them and you'll be fine
Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:39 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevntrace
But why are you so surprised at the choice of available medications? Thats one of the things that hit me as a consumer over here, there is (generally speaking) a wider variety of individual product types (e.g. breakfast cereals). However, I do find the overall range of products is much smaller in my local supermarket (Safeway) than in a typical UK supermarket.
Breakfast cereal choice is the #1 advantage the USA has over the UK
Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:44 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Originally Posted by woodsey
apparantly they're more likely to develop an allergic reaction if you give them nuts at a young age, which is why you're not supposed to eat them when you're pregnant..loads of bollocks if you ask me, I didn't stop eating anything when I was pregnant, in fact one book I was given when pregnant with my son positively encouraged you to eat peanuts.. my son also had his first spoonful of peanut butter at 6 months old..along with soft boiled eggs, actually he had raw eggs in my carbonara sauce (which was his favourite meal for ages) and everything else I was told not to give him..(chicken balti was another of his favourites)
my advice, read nothing about babies and what to feed them and you'll be fine
Logic would suggest that if you expose them to the allergens early on, they would be less likely to get an allergic reaction. Either that or they're going to get the reaction whatever you do. Then again, I know nussink... I'm from Barthelona. Apparently babies that grow up in houses where the mother is incredibly houseproud and clears away cobwebs and dust as soon as it gathers are more likely to have allergies to dustmites and so on. It bodes well for my child anyway

As soon as my kid is on solids, it'll eat whatever we're eating and be grateful for it. Even if it swells up like a sodding balloon
Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Breakfast cereal choice is the #1 advantage the USA has over the UK
I would hardly call ADHD inducing fruit loops an advantage..
Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:50 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

I love the American drug aisles:

Peroxide based teeth whiteners (suck but don't swallow dear)

Pain killers in mega bottles, in the UK you're lucky you can get more than 24 Ibuprofen in a packet, allegedley because someone may do something really stupid...bollocks!

Wrap around heat pads for bad backs, never heard of them in UK Chemists!

Those funny fluffy tooth picks, but then I'm easily pleased
Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:53 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
...in the UK you're lucky you can get more than 24 Ibuprofen in a packet, allegedley because someone may do something really stupid...
But you can buy 10 packets if you like...

I remember reading that 12 paracetamol at once was enough to do you in anyway
Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Logic would suggest that if you expose them to the allergens early on, they would be less likely to get an allergic reaction. Either that or they're going to get the reaction whatever you do. Then again, I know nussink... I'm from Barthelona. Apparently babies that grow up in houses where the mother is incredibly houseproud and clears away cobwebs and dust as soon as it gathers are more likely to have allergies to dustmites and so on. It bodes well for my child anyway

As soon as my kid is on solids, it'll eat whatever we're eating and be grateful for it. Even if it swells up like a sodding balloon
Thats my girl..
Seriously though thats what we did, he ate everything we did and he loved it, it amazes me the lenghs people go to especially here to not expose their kids to certain things, I've even seen party invitations turned down because they were worried about the food their kids might eat..I've also seen a 1 year old still being fed baby food for 4 months olds..ffs :scared:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.