Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any one else notice?

Wikiposts

Any one else notice?

Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any one else notice?

Originally Posted by kevntrace

Another thing I noticed over here with regard to dentistry. Everyone over here knows the drug they use to numb your mouth is novocaine. I had often received it while visiting dentists in the UK (lots o fillings - keeping up the Brit sterotype), but had no flippin' idea what it was called. Anyone else notice that?

So its ok not to know what someone is injecting in your mouth????

Alright, you guys are scaring me now....
Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:10 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
So because your husband made a big deal over a cold,every American is branished with the same brush? Wow, I'll have to tell my father, who never took a day off sick for a cold, and wouldn't dream of it.....of course I know a few others that are a bit more hearty than what you've described as well....
That's generally a man thing, not a cultural thing. Mind you, I'm a bit of a wuss over colds as well, purely cos I like to be pampered. Haven't had one since coming to the US - must be the beautifully clean, smog free air (that and the lack of disease ridden schoolkids breathing over me on a daily basis)
Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:13 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Hey! No-one said it was a negative aspect! I think brand awareness is a good thing as it probably results in more accountability on behalf of the drug companies.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
That's generally a man thing, not a cultural thing. Mind you, I'm a bit of a wuss over colds as well, purely cos I like to be pampered. Haven't had one since coming to the US - must be the beautifully clean, smog free air (that and the lack of disease ridden schoolkids breathing over me on a daily basis)
lol....

We did a lot of colds last year....first year in preschool. Strangely enough we had a class that had no allergies....the only thing that I thought was different was that snack could not contain any peanuts, i.e. peanut butter. But, that's pretty standard, even in the UK.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hey! No-one said it was a negative aspect! I think brand awareness is a good thing as it probably results in more accountability on behalf of the drug companies.
Is novacaine a brand name? I don't really know....I mean I certainly remember having it when I was a kid and at the dentist for fillings, etc....
Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:17 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

It kills the pain, makes you dribble and talk like a gibbering idiot for 2 hours, why do I want to know the name? "Hey Doc is that the pain killing, Drooly, gibbering idiot injection, you're going to give me?"
"No it's Novacaine"
"Oh that's OK then"
Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:18 am
Return of bouncing girl!

lol....

We did a lot of colds last year....first year in preschool. Strangely enough we had a class that had no allergies....the only thing that I thought was different was that snack could not contain any peanuts, i.e. peanut butter. But, that's pretty standard, even in the UK.
Very much so - we're not allowed to give out peanut snacks (e.g. as rewards, class parties or whatever) in the UK either. I think it's to do with the severity of peanut allergies in comparison to most other allergic reactions. We all have training in epipen use as well.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
It kills the pain, makes you dribble and talk like a gibbering idiot for 2 hours, why do I want to know the name? "Hey Doc is that the pain killing, Drooly, gibbering idiot injection, you're going to give me?" "No it's Novacaine" " Oh that's OK then"
So what does the dentist say as he's about to inject some big long needle into your mouth? Ok Gruff, here comes that pain killing, drooly, gibbering idiot injection I've been promising you!! Every dentist I've ever went to, always tells me ahead of time that they are going to give me an injection of novcaine to numb my mouth before they start the drilling....
Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:21 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Is novacaine a brand name? I don't really know....I mean I certainly remember having it when I was a kid and at the dentist for fillings, etc....
I have no clue! I'm just equating it with the drug companies advertising on the TV. I think the general public over here is much more aware of what drugs are available and so on, whereas in the UK we go to the Doctor, they write out an illegible prescription and we pop the pills, no questions asked. Not necessarily the best way to go about it.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Very much so - we're not allowed to give out peanut snacks (e.g. as rewards, class parties or whatever) in the UK either. I think it's to do with the severity of peanut allergies in comparison to most other allergic reactions. We all have training in epipen use as well.
I was told by my daughter's health visitor that we shouldn't give her any form of peanuts until she was 5....we didn't wait that long, thankfully she was ok.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:23 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

So what does the dentist say as he's about to inject some big long needle into your mouth? Ok Gruff, here comes that pain killing, drooly, gibbering idiot injection I've been promising you!! Every dentist I've ever went to, always tells me ahead of time that they are going to give me an injection of novcaine to numb my mouth before they start the drilling....
You've never met my Dentist then
Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

So because your husband made a big deal over a cold,every American is branished with the same brush? Wow, I'll have to tell my father, who never took a day off sick for a cold, and wouldn't dream of it.....of course I know a few others that are a bit more hearty than what you've described as well....
Read I did not say ALL American's just mine what is your problem.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have no clue! I'm just equating it with the drug companies advertising on the TV. I think the general public over here is much more aware of what drugs are available and so on, whereas in the UK we go to the Doctor, they write out an illegible prescription and we pop the pills, no questions asked. Not necessarily the best way to go about it.
You're probably right....I'll never forget when I was in the hospital and questioning the staff about what kind of medication they were giving me....like I knew anything! lol But, there are certain things I do know and I'm not into medication for the hell of it. That would be my biggest gripe over here. There is a damn pill for everything, with consequences of course.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by britvic
Read I did not say ALL American's just mine what is your problem.
FFS, you didn't say it, but you implied it. Just as before when you made the comment that every American leaves their dogs tied up in their backyards.....where does that come from????
Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:28 am
Return of bouncing girl!

You're probably right....I'll never forget when I was in the hospital and questioning the staff about what kind of medication they were giving me....like I knew anything! lol But, there are certain things I do know and I'm not into medication for the hell of it. That would be my biggest gripe over here. There is a damn pill for everything, with consequences of course.
And they always read the huge list of small print and possible side effects on every advert incredibly quickly and with music playing over the top so you can't understand a thing they're saying

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.