Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any nurses in Florida?

Any nurses in Florida?

Old May 21st 2003, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

SueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any nurses in Florida?

Hi, Just wondering if there was anyone out there who was nursing in Florida.

I'm hoping to be out there soon when i have done my NCLEX. I have had a job offer in a small hospital but it's about 1 hour 20 minutes away from our house in Davenport. Will have to have more interviews though.

Just wondered if anyone has any tips on what to look out for in US hospitals and what your experiences have been.

Thanks

Sue
Old May 21st 2003, 11:57 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sue. I'm not going to Florida but I am a UK ICU nurse headed for Connecticut. I took my NCLEX and passed it last June. When do you take yours? I've done things differently to you, as I took my NCLEX before applying for jobs, but I had my placement interview yesterday and I (hopefully) should have a job in weeks. I, too, and interested in other people's experiences, particularly what to expect in phone interviews and interview questions.

Have you filed your petition etc on your own, or did you go through an agency? How are you looking for jobs? Sorry to be nosy but it seems everyone goes about this in a different way! Wish you lots of luck. Any nurses, feel free to email me: [email protected]
Old May 21st 2003, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

pegasus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any nurses in Florida?

Hi Sue, I'm heading to Florida eventually, have sat NCLEX, just waiting for the DOH Florida/ FBI to clear my fingerprints- it takes 8 weeks! Florida paper work goes thru Texas, which looks like the slowest processing centre in the US for I-140's.
I have a job lined up in Weston- small hospital, did a phone interview which lasted for 13 minutes!! Having a few hassles with my contract, but I'm sure that will be ironed out shortly.
Can't offer any advice re hospitals and work- if anybody knows anything- please add your advice!
Good luck for NCLEX!
Old May 21st 2003, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

SueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any nurses in Florida?

Hiya,

I havent registered to do my NCLEX yet as i am waiting fot the Florida Board of Nursing to say i am ok to do it. (but i am studying though). I am aiming to do it hopefully about August/September time. Was it easier/harder than you thought???

I only had an interview as my MIL was out there in April and knew someone that knew someone else and the interview was arranged for when i went out there a couple of weeks ago. I didnt want to be interviewed just yet, but it was helpful in many ways as i run a Nursing Home and have been out of the Hospital Enviroment for 10 yrs. It quashed all my fears and the hospital were really friendly.

I've done my fingerprints etc - so that is done!

I am with an agency - who i have found to be really helpful indeed.
www.usbritishnurse.com

Although it could be the end of yr before anything happens about moving - Hubby & I are doing loads of research about what we need to do , and things like tax and buying cars etc etc, as we have 2 boys (6 1/2 and 14 months) and i work full-time - so things get very hectic!! Plus we are trying to get our house in order for when we need to put it on the market!

It will soon be on us i suppose - so preperation is the key i think!

Anyone who wants to e-mail me:

[email protected]

Bye for now

Sue