Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any Northern Irish...

Any Northern Irish...

Old Mar 20th 2013, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Enniskillen soon to be Clovis yes Clovis and not Fresno I repeat not Fresno!!!
Ryan NI will become famous soon enoughRyan NI will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Any Northern Irish...

I'm from Enniskillen but have been out in California for about 5 months, the heat is already getting to me and its only ******' March! We've settled in rightly, moving out of mother in laws next week into our own place and can't wait. Got the 1st job I applied for but it was only part time and non-benefited but was at the local University so thought I would just get my foot in the door. 2 months into the job got promoted to full time faculty staff, couldn't believe it and so happy in the job.

My mother is from Derry, derrygal. Love that wee city, if like most of the rest of N. Ireland it could just get rid of the secretarian divide it would be perfect.

Anyway nice to know there are some Norn Irish on here...GAWA!!!
Old Mar 20th 2013, 2:05 pm
Still Glazers Out!

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ryan NI
I'm from Enniskillen but have been out in California for about 5 months, the heat is already getting to me and its only ******' March! We've settled in rightly, moving out of mother in laws next week into our own place and can't wait. Got the 1st job I applied for but it was only part time and non-benefited but was at the local University so thought I would just get my foot in the door. 2 months into the job got promoted to full time faculty staff, couldn't believe it and so happy in the job.

My mother is from Derry, derrygal. Love that wee city, if like most of the rest of N. Ireland it could just get rid of the secretarian divide it would be perfect.

Welcome aboard Ryan. Good to have a Fermanagh man with us- I went out with a girl from Kilskeery (just outside B'mallard) many years ago, think she still lives over by Irvinestown.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Enniskillen soon to be Clovis yes Clovis and not Fresno I repeat not Fresno!!!
Ryan NI will become famous soon enoughRyan NI will become famous soon enough

Aye i've a few mates from Kilskeery, one has the same name as myself actually, that was always fun in school! Tiny wee place, on the road to Trillick.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ryan NI

I haven't lived in Derry since 1977 - can't believe it has been that long ago - I moved to England first and then moved to the US in 1990. I still miss Derry and try to go back every few years - I was back last October and noticed a lot of changes (for the better I might add). It is the UK City of Culture this year and there is a lot going on. I don't think the sectarian divide is anywhere near as bad as it was when I left there - the 70s were very bad there - I knew some people killed by the IRA - friends and neighbors. I am so glad those dark days are over. Of course there will always be trouble-makers who want to start things up again (such as those idiot flag protesters in Belfast). It is a very fragile peace. I would move back though - in a heartbeat if I didn't have adult children and grand-children here. It's funny, when you're young you want to get away and seek adventure and when you're older (I'm 59) you think about going home!! Perhaps I know your mum - for all I know she and I might have gone to school together!!

Anyway, all the best to you in your new life in California - I am sure you are enjoying the sunshine (let's face it N Ireland doesn't get a lot)!! Congrats on your new job too!!