Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any new Brits in the Woodlands?

Any new Brits in the Woodlands?

Old Feb 21st 2012, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Brown18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any new Brits in the Woodlands?

I will be moving to the Woodlands area in three weeks time to join my husband who has recently started a new job. I'm the supportive spouse looking to meet other newbies to share experiences to help settle quickly. So if you are a newbie or can share your experiences, I would love to hear from you.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 9:15 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any new Brits in the Woodlands?

I take it you mean the Woodlands, TX near Houston. If so, there are loads of expats there.

Try these;
http://www.woodlandsbritishladies.com/1.html

I'm more to the West, in Katy. You can find more groups on meetup.com as well.

You might already be aware, but I found it easier to settle quickly by meeting a mix of expats and Americans. Just being with expats makes you homesick in my experience whereas meeting your new neighbours helps you settle. Although, the expats are very useful for finding beans, gravy granules, what the heck is the flour and the cream all about etc....

Welcome to Texas 😄
Old Feb 21st 2012, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brown18
I will be moving to the Woodlands area in three weeks time to join my husband who has recently started a new job. I'm the supportive spouse looking to meet other newbies to share experiences to help settle quickly. So if you are a newbie or can share your experiences, I would love to hear from you.
We moved near the Woodlands in the fall of 2009. I'm a USC and he's imported from England. I will share something it took us two years to discover, and then it was a random accident....a British market.

http://www.goodwoods.com/

Their website is kind of a mess but click around and you'll find everything they sell. Most Brits complain about not being able to find products they are used to like Oxo cubes or real bacon or bangers. Goodwoods has them. They are an internet based business but you can pop in and purchase anything. It's not fancy like a store but the stuff is out on shelves, meats in the freezers in back. Prices are on a list on the wall by the adding machine (no cash register.)

The Kroger on Rayford Road where we shop, has a good selection of British fare, I think more than HEB grocery. We go to HEB for cheese. My husband misses good cheese and has discovered the best substitute is HEB's store brand called Artisan Cheddar. You'll find it at the HEB on Groggan's Mill Rd near the mall. It's not as expensive as the imported cheeses and worth a try.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for your responses. Yes it is The Woodlands in Houston. Tx.
I agree about having a mixture of the nationalities as I want to fully embrace this opportunity, I was just wondering if there was anyone sharing this initial stage of feeling a bit apprehensive. I know it's natural to feel this way!
Old Mar 10th 2012, 3:03 am
Just Joined

lisajdubai is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Any new Brits in the Woodlands?

Hi i have just moved here, i have a 7yr old son,i would be more than happy to meet up
Old Mar 10th 2012, 3:06 am
Just Joined

I have just been in goodwoods wow they even have mushy peas
Old Mar 12th 2012, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

Emmas is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I'm moving to Houston April 28th. Hubby is going to be working in 'umble (Humble!) we are thinking of staying either North East Houston...

Would love to meet up when we arrive.

Em x
Old Mar 12th 2012, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

Hi, I've finally moved after weeks of anticipation. Not stopped raining since and georgeous back home how ironic.! Thanks for your messages to meet up and I will send you a private message.
Now I need to pluck up the courage to drive on the right hand side of the road! (when I get a car)
Old Mar 13th 2012, 2:54 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps it's time to arrange another British Expats Houston get-together? I'll put a note on the meet-up section and see if we can get one organized. We can do it somewhere central - like a mid/downtown location - that way we can all make it.

Welcome to Houston. Thanks for bringing the rain
Old Mar 13th 2012, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Yes a meet up would be good... anytime after 1st May is good for me
Old Mar 13th 2012, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

Yes that would be lovely. Should have a car and be mobile in a few weeks during the day but can do most evenings. Thanks
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 10:59 am
Just Joined

dewberry1cat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello All

I'm not sure of my geography but I am moving with my partner and new baby boy to Houston in August. I'm keen to get talking to other expats who may be able to help us settle in, get to know the good and bad areas and tell me any useful info on childcare etc.

Also make friends of course!

Lizzie x
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Hi Lizzie,

Welcome!

I'm moving over end of April, quite a few of us that are new.

Do you know which area you will be moving to?

Em x
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 11:47 am
Just Joined

Hi Lizzie,
Yes quite a few of us English moving over around the same time,we have been here 3 weeks now and loving it,we are 10 mins from Woodlands mall ,in Legends Ranch which is good location for most places,
How old is your baby,mine is 7 but still my baby,so now we will all have a proper baby to coo over
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 12:39 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dewberry1cat
Hello All

I'm not sure of my geography but I am moving with my partner and new baby boy to Houston in August. I'm keen to get talking to other expats who may be able to help us settle in, get to know the good and bad areas and tell me any useful info on childcare etc.

Also make friends of course!

Lizzie x
Hi Lizzie

Good and bad places to love depends really on where you are working. We live out in Katy as my OH works in the Galleria, so it's around a 35 min commute. I have a 3 year old and a nearly born year old!
Welcome!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.