British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Any Mechanics on here? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/any-mechanics-here-681242/)

HoosierDaddy Aug 15th 2010 12:34 am

Any Mechanics on here?

The mother in law just gave us her car as we need a 2nd one - been doing only 1 vehicle for the past 10 years, so it was is time.
It is a '92 Mercury Cougar in pretty nice nick apart from the brakes. I need to replace the brake line(s). Any idea how much that would cost at a garage to get fixed? :fingerscrossed: If it is too much, the FIL says he could take a look....

Anyway, cheers for reading.

CelticRover Aug 15th 2010 12:44 am

Re: Any Mechanics on here?

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/brake-line-repair.html

Mummy in the foothills Aug 15th 2010 12:47 am

Dh is a mechanic, he's in work this weekend. But I can ask him and tell you tomorrow. We are in Cali but it'll give you an idea.
Or you could call somewhere like Meineke and ask how much for new brake lines on a 92 cougar. They will usually tell.

Macca67 Aug 15th 2010 2:31 am

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy (Post 8777673)
The mother in law just gave us her car as we need a 2nd one - been doing only 1 vehicle for the past 10 years, so it was is time.
It is a '92 Mercury Cougar in pretty nice nick apart from the brakes. I need to replace the brake line(s). Any idea how much that would cost at a garage to get fixed? :fingerscrossed: If it is too much, the FIL says he could take a look....

Anyway, cheers for reading.

Not a mechanic but spent enough time in my uncle's garage to understand a bit about motors. It's a fairly straightforward job and shouldn't take more than 3 hours to replace the lines.

Michelmas Aug 15th 2010 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Macca67 (Post 8777825)
Not a mechanic but spent enough time in my uncle's garage to understand a bit about motors. It's a fairly straightforward job and shouldn't take more than 3 hours to replace the lines.

Then you obviously have never worked on brake lines. It's messy and time consuming. You have to disconnect from the prop valve, master cylinder and each wheel and route it around, behind and through all sorts of obstacles (assuming nothing is so rusty it seizes and breaks off). Fingers crossed you can get pre-bent and terminated lines for your car. If not you have to get the lines, form them, flare them and fit the correct fittings on them. and then at the end of it all, you have to bleed all the lines and each wheel.

Having said that though, it shouldn't be more than a couple hundred dollars, You may be lucky and only have to repair a section rather than replace them all.

bevinva Aug 15th 2010 4:52 am

Bleeding brake lines, not fun, we had a male female disconnect when I tried to help hubby with that. Can't help on cost estimate, OH works on our cars..............eventually.

md95065 Aug 15th 2010 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Michelmas (Post 8777978)
Then you obviously have never worked on brake lines. It's messy and time consuming. You have to disconnect from the prop valve, master cylinder and each wheel and route it around, behind and through all sorts of obstacles (assuming nothing is so rusty it seizes and breaks off). Fingers crossed you can get pre-bent and terminated lines for your car. If not you have to get the lines, form them, flare them and fit the correct fittings on them. and then at the end of it all, you have to bleed all the lines and each wheel.

That's the worst case (and, absent physical damage to the vehicle or severe corrosion, probably quite unlikely) scenario where you have to replace everything.

Much more likely that all that needs to be replaced are the flexible hoses that connect the metal brake lines to the brake cylinders - that is easy and shouldn't take more than a couple of hours at most even for an amateur mechanic.

RoadWarriorFromLP Aug 15th 2010 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy (Post 8777673)
I need to replace the brake line(s).

If you want to know, I'd just call a few repair shops in your area that work on Fords and ask.

It's not clear from this how you determined that the brake lines need replacing, so I'd confirm your assessment before assuming that it is accurate. However, most brake work tends to be reasonably affordable. The Cougar of that era was mechanically identically to the Ford Thunderbird, so parts should be readily available and fairly cheap. I would expect most of the costs to be comprised of labor.

fatbrit Aug 15th 2010 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by bevinva (Post 8777985)
Bleeding brake lines, not fun, we had a male female disconnect when I tried to help hubby with that.

Somebody got brake fluid on the paintwork!

ironporer Aug 15th 2010 2:51 pm

Brake work, especially in the north where roads are heavily salted and cars corrode more can be tricky. Kinda like when your porch has a rotten board, and when you try to replace it you find the supports rotten...and end up having to replace the entire porch.

If I were you I'd get some quotes from local garages- it will probably save you a lot of aggrivation and scuffed up knuckles

HoosierDaddy Aug 15th 2010 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP (Post 8778699)
If you want to know, I'd just call a few repair shops in your area that work on Fords and ask.

It's not clear from this how you determined that the brake lines need replacing, so I'd confirm your assessment before assuming that it is accurate. However, most brake work tends to be reasonably affordable. The Cougar of that era was mechanically identically to the Ford Thunderbird, so parts should be readily available and fairly cheap. I would expect most of the costs to be comprised of labor.

Aye - I got underneath the car yesterday and saw exactly where the fluid leak is coming from. Brake line rusted just before it splits off to the rear brakes. I will call around tomorrow, just wanted to see what the BE community would say also (since no garages were open when I posted).

Thanks for the input folks! :thumbsup:

Michelmas Aug 15th 2010 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 8778082)
That's the worst case (and, absent physical damage to the vehicle or severe corrosion, probably quite unlikely)

Yep, definitely worse case, but I would say severe corrosion in Indiana is most likely. Having done a small repair on a friends car recently which did require flaring and bending lines etc, the corrosion in south Michigan made it 10 times worse.

RoadWarriorFromLP Aug 15th 2010 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy (Post 8778872)
Aye - I got underneath the car yesterday and saw exactly where the fluid leak is coming from. Brake line rusted just before it splits off to the rear brakes. I will call around tomorrow, just wanted to see what the BE community would say also (since no garages were open when I posted).

Thanks for the input folks! :thumbsup:

Thanks, I hadn't realized that you had diagnosed it yourself, or that you knew what you were doing.

The parts for the brake lines shouldn't cost that much. But as noted by another poster, if this was caused by corrosion (salt), you may uncover more problems as you start poking around. Cross your fingers...

Macca67 Aug 16th 2010 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Michelmas (Post 8777978)

Having said that though, it shouldn't be more than a couple hundred dollars, You may be lucky and only have to repair a section rather than replace them all.

Like I said, not a mechanic but have worked on a few and don't recall it taking more than 3 hours to change a line. Perhaps I just work faster while you stand around thinking about it with hands in pockets?

CelticRover Aug 16th 2010 6:02 pm

It is not too difficult but obviously must be done correctly.

http://www.ehow.co.uk/video_2328140_...rake-line.html