British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Any long-term residents who emigrated as a child? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/any-long-term-residents-who-emigrated-child-526424/)

Jerseygirl Apr 3rd 2008 9:58 pm

Re: Any long-term residents who emigrated as a child?

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 6155568)
she has lived in the uk and when they were over at xmas with us in the uk they went all around her old stomping ground...enjoyed it all so much they have just booked tickets to go back again this summer. it's not a problem for me, my son and i don't live in each others pockets and plus i don't go looking for problems as they may just never happen :)

Just a general comment. We read of too many people on BE...especially in the MBTTUK forum who have that very problem...even if they don't go looking for it. ;)

TruBrit Apr 3rd 2008 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 6155619)
Will you be applying for/have you applied for US citizenship? (I don't know how long you have held your Green Card for?). What are you doing regarding health insurance in the US - do you 'suspend' it when you are in the UK or do you just keep it going year-round? (Sorry, I don't know if you are covered by your spouse and don't know if he's in the UK or US) :confused:

I'm just trying to get my head around as to what to do for the next few years! I know these questions are rather personal and if you do wish to reply, perhaps you may prefer to send me a PM...;)

yep i'll pm you ;)

TruBrit Apr 3rd 2008 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 6155689)
Just a general comment. We read of too many people on BE...especially in the MBTTUK forum who have that very problem...even if they don't go looking for it. ;)

yep and it may bother some folks but i don't worry about that it's out of my control...he has his life, he's not a teenager anymore, he's a man :p as long as my son is happy wherever in the world he's living then i'm a happy mum :)

snowbunny Apr 3rd 2008 10:11 pm

I personally think that having lots of choices is a blessing : yes it has a downside in that you worry about making the right choice, but the *world* is truly your oyster to choose, rather than being stuck with no choice. Even in a bad situation the knowledge that you *could* move countries might be a comfort.

My motto is "keep your options open" and "don't burn your bridges" so those of you eligible for US citizenship I would encourage to get it. :)

Jerseygirl Apr 3rd 2008 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 6155726)
yep and it may bother some folks but i don't worry about that it's out of my control...he has his life, he's not a teenager anymore, he's a man :p as long as my son is happy wherever in the world he's living then i'm a happy mum :)

I don't really know how the mother/son relationship came into all this. :unsure: I was talking about our kids and their lives.

TruBrit Apr 3rd 2008 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 6155496)
Problems arise if he gets married to a USC and at some point wants to move back to the UK and she doesn't...especially if children are involved. :(

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 6155785)
I don't really know how the mother/son relationship came into all this. :unsure: I was talking about our kids and their lives.

you asked me the question above and i said it's not a problem for me..... that's how it all started....

Bob Apr 3rd 2008 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 6150768)
Yes she does. The problem is she likes living in Toronto and has a good life there...once she leaves she won't be able to go back so easily.

depending on what she studied and looking for work, she could look into the NAFTA thing?

AlienUk Apr 3rd 2008 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by chicagojlo (Post 6155154)
I agree, it's an interesting thread. For me it's going to be an interesting time ahead as my 4 year old is technically British but wasn't born there, or here. Right now she's indistinguishable as different to the other kids at daycare, but I think that as she gets older and realises that her parents are different to the other kids, she'll wonder about it. I'm hoping that we'll have citizenship by that time, but I know that me and the hubby will always sound (and probably act!) British even if we do get to call ourselves American.
I remember having a hard enough time as a kid myself when my folks moved across country and I had a Southern accent in a Northern school!

I absolutely loved being different at school. I was 12 though, and in Jamaica being foriegn is a GOOD thing....My son (7) suffered for the first six months here being teased because of his accent, but he's done an amazing job of ridding himself of all traces of his English accent and we've moved him to another school where he loves it....People here keep saying I sound English but he DOESN'T :rofl:

I always loved the fact that I was different, exotic even....And felt pity for people my age who had never been abroad let alone lived in another country....

meauxna Apr 4th 2008 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 6155285)
Welcome to BE Arctic Gal. :)

The two PP thing is easy. Just remember you must use your US PP to leave and enter the US...it is a legal requirement. You can use either to enter the UK and most other countries. Now go and download for N400 from here and start the ball rolling:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

Or read all about it in the handy BE Wiki. :)

Naturalization US Citizenship Resources

The Rich Wales FAQ is well worth reading!