Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any info on moving to NYC with children?

Any info on moving to NYC with children?

Old May 1st 2007, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

piewackit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any info on moving to NYC with children?

We're due to move over in July and are frantically searching for somewhere to live with decent schools. So far we're looking at Upper West Side, Brooklyn and Riverdale (all sound similar in varying ways to our corner of South-East London). Please post any advice or information you have to offer.

We are keen to hook up with any BE parents who are already out there, especially anyone who has any experience or knowledge of schooling children who have Asperger Syndrome.
Old May 1st 2007, 7:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any info on moving to NYC with children?

Originally Posted by piewackit
We're due to move over in July and are frantically searching for somewhere to live with decent schools. So far we're looking at Upper West Side, Brooklyn and Riverdale (all sound similar in varying ways to our corner of South-East London). Please post any advice or information you have to offer.

We are keen to hook up with any BE parents who are already out there, especially anyone who has any experience or knowledge of schooling children who have Asperger Syndrome.

Don't know about Brooklyn. As for the upper westside of NYC, depends on what avenues/streets you are talking about. You talking about Riverside Drive and 70th-90th streets? Washington Heights? University Heights? West End Avenue? Each are "separate" neighbors and some are good and some are not so good. The same with Riverdale in the Bronx. This is just over the Henry Hudson Bridge by Dykeman Avenue. Lovely area for older brick homes and highrise apartment buildings turned co-op.

I would definitely look into private schooling for your child.

Last edited by Rete; May 1st 2007 at 11:02 pm.
Old May 1st 2007, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

I may be wrong here but from what I have seen here in the USA children with statements are not in mainstream, I am not 100% on this but please check it out really well.

good luck x
Old May 1st 2007, 8:44 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Any info on moving to NYC with children?

To be honest you may be far better off moving across the Hudson river to New Jersey; it has excellent provision in the public schools for children with Asperger's and Autism - certainly in the area where I live. I do know a lady whose daughter has autism and she is heavily involved in the special needs provision in our local school system.

My husband was transferred to his company's office in Times Square but after doing lots of research regarding schools and commuting we chose to live in the Metro area instead and he takes the train to work (35-45 mins into Penn Station on 33rd/34th Sts & 7th Avenue). Also it's just 15-20 mins drive to Newark airport. Lots of expats from the UK and beyond live in the metro area of NJ.

Check out the NJ school districts for Millburn (Essex county) Chatham & Madison (both in Morris County) and Summit (Union County)

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/story?id=3007970 (there is a link on this news report to Millburn Public schools - the school district where I live)

http://www.new-horizons.org/cmtasp.html

http://www.aspennj.org/LocalASPENChapters.html

I hope some of these links will be helpful. My 12 year old nephew in England has Asperger's Syndrome so I'm well aware of the challenges a family has to face.

Good Luck! Feel free to send a PM if you wish.
Old May 2nd 2007, 10:52 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all the advice given so far. I'm still a little unclear as to how the public school system operates for children with special needs in the US. My son has a statement over here mainly because he finds handwriting very challenging and tends to march to his own tune. Otherwise he is very able and has a good social network.

We are still keen to live close to Manhattan as we do not want my husband to have too lengthy a commute to the financial district and we are accustomed as a family to city living. We are, however, willing to look into all kinds of options and will follow up on the advice given re. New Jersey.

Am I correct in thinking that school places are allocated according to where you live? Will we have to have an address before we can apply to schools?

Thses are just some of the questions running through my mind. I have many more
Old May 2nd 2007, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that is how school places are allocated, also be aware that injections may be needed such as hep B and chickenpox oh and also TB as this is done much ealier in the states.

Very very best of luck to you all

xxx
Old May 2nd 2007, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by loopylorns
Yes that is how school places are allocated, also be aware that injections may be needed such as hep B and chickenpox oh and also TB as this is done much ealier in the states.

Very very best of luck to you all

xxx
Unless you can pay the very hefty private school fees, I too suggest NJ, Westchester or Long Island. All have fantastic school districts.
Old May 2nd 2007, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

Are the public schools in the city to be avoided or is it just too difficult to find a place in the good ones? I'm not looking for the perfect school. I'm an educator myself and experience has taught me so far that an awful lot hinges on the relationship we develop with the school as a family. On the other hand, I do not want to find myself in a situation whereby the local schools throw their hands up in horror at the prospect of taking on a child with Asperger Syndrome. We are just looking for a regular school where he is safe and people are willing to try and understand where he is coming from.
Old May 2nd 2007, 7:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Are the public schools in the city to be avoided or is it just too difficult to find a place in the good ones? I'm not looking for the perfect school. I'm an educator myself and experience has taught me so far that an awful lot hinges on the relationship we develop with the school as a family. On the other hand, I do not want to find myself in a situation whereby the local schools throw their hands up in horror at the prospect of taking on a child with Asperger Syndrome. We are just looking for a regular school where he is safe and people are willing to try and understand where he is coming from.
If his behavior as you put it "marches to his own tune" is exhibited in school and in his school work, then he will be placed in special ed. In some school districts that is a good thing. In some it is not.

My husband works at a very prestigous public school in upper Westchester. The rich and elite have their children who are mediocore students placed in special ed classes because the work is easier and the grades therefore are higher. Since colleges cannot be told that the student was in a special ed class the grade point average looks great on college applications.

However, in some school districts special ed are for children with physical, mental, emotional and behaviorial handicaps or difficulties.

I urge you to check it out very very carefully what goes on in the school district your child will be attending.