British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Any hobbies, what are they? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/any-hobbies-what-they-195084/)

effi Dec 4th 2003 10:49 pm

Any hobbies, what are they?

What do you guys do when you are not either at work or on this board. Does anyone have an interesting hobby?

I play a mean game of golf, I shoot in the 80s (not bad for an "old person"). I also restore antique furniture. The last thing I did was a grand piano (Americans will pay for anything), although the customer was very impressed with it and paid what I asked without any question.

So, come on, what do you all do for fun, recreation?

Jan Alaska Dec 4th 2003 11:04 pm

This summer we discovered geocaching which is like treasure hunting with a GPS. It gets us out and about visiting new places, retracing steps at old haunts and finding out some interesting stuff about the area also.

Jan :)

snorkmaiden Dec 4th 2003 11:15 pm

I am trying to write. I'd like to write a book, but I find I get on the internet and then waste tons of time looking around and before you know it, it's time to pick my youngest up from nursery and my free time is gone :D

I love to read, and I enjoy cooking and unfortunately eating as well, hence my need to go to the gym :D

dylan&helen Dec 4th 2003 11:49 pm

Re: Any hobbies, what are they?

Originally posted by effi
What do you guys do when you are not either at work or on this board. Does anyone have an interesting hobby?

I play a mean game of golf, I shoot in the 80s (not bad for an "old person"). I also restore antique furniture. The last thing I did was a grand piano (Americans will pay for anything), although the customer was very impressed with it and paid what I asked without any question.

I love to play golf... my best round to date is an 87 (very proud of it)

I have 4 guitars (Jackson warrior, Fender Strat, accoustic and a semi accoustic which is my fave - can't wait to play on the beaches "gulfside" while my wife slaves over a BBQ)

I really want to get my private pilots licence (I am a 9th of the way there, but hope to finish it in Florida)

My wife and son are also my main hobby – making them happy makes me happy

Pimpbot Dec 5th 2003 12:02 am

I go kart on a regular basis. I'm a member of a track in Phoenix that my brother in law first took me to before I moved here. We try to go once a week, mainly on the nights that members get discount. Its good fun, especially now that most of my family are members too.

Jabba1 Dec 5th 2003 6:58 am

I'm a member of American Coaster Enthusiasts. I traveled from one end of this country to the other visitin themeparks and adding coasters to my track record. I've been to Cedar Point in Ohio lots of times. Millennium Force rules!!!!

http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/ins...sthillVERT.jpghttp://www.cedarpoint.com/public/ins...thill2VERT.jpg

dylan&helen Dec 5th 2003 8:51 am

Originally posted by Jabba1
I'm a member of American Coaster Enthusiasts. I traveled from one end of this country to the other visitin themeparks and adding coasters to my track record. I've been to Cedar Point in Ohio lots of times. Millennium Force rules!!!!

http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/ins...sthillVERT.jpghttp://www.cedarpoint.com/public/ins...thill2VERT.jpg

WOW... they look a little bit more extreme than Blackpool and Lightwater Valley (is that place still standing?)

NC Penguin Dec 5th 2003 12:52 pm

Originally posted by Jabba1
<<snip>>
I love rollercoasters and used to know an American in the Pittsburgh office who was a member of the American Coaster Enthusiasts.

I have family in OH and I'm waiting for the opportunity to go to Cedar Point!

NC Penguin

BritishInOhio Dec 5th 2003 1:16 pm

Originally posted by NC Penguin
I love rollercoasters and used to know an American in the Pittsburgh office who was a member of the American Coaster Enthusiasts.

I have family in OH and I'm waiting for the opportunity to go to Cedar Point!

NC Penguin
Cedar Point rocks and Millenium Force is something else!!!

BritishInOhio Dec 5th 2003 1:21 pm

Originally posted by effi

My hobbies now I am here in the US are bowling, I am in 2 leagues and really enjoy that. I love to go hiking too but there ain't too much here in Ohio, plus this time of year your in danger of getting shot by a hunter!!!!
I also enjoy reading and go to the movies a lot more here that I did at home too.
I follow Ohio State, so they kind of replaced Liverpool FC, but I do miss the Premiership I must admit.
I want to take music lessons soon but have to wait until wife graduates and get's job first.

jcapulet Dec 5th 2003 2:15 pm

My husband and I are computer game/LAN geeks. That's how we met, and it's how we had fun together while he was in Canada. Of course, there was no LAN until he got here, back then it was everything via IP connection. We won Baldur's Gate II last year. After we got our LAN connection a few months ago, we've been working on NWN. :D:D

Pugs are a big 'hobby' of ours too, we just love our little puggie Zuzu. And myself, I like reading...especially when there is a new Harry Potter book out. I love sci fi as well.

Juliet

Yosser Dec 5th 2003 2:36 pm

1 Attachment(s)
DIY is a fav of mine at the moment, I am hoping to build a deck next spring, and I have done all my own landscaping.

When its cold and dark outside I am a pretty big Playstation 2 fan.

I have pretty active hobbies to, golf, windsurfing of course and also next year I will be trying out some kitesurfing.

PrincessofWales Dec 5th 2003 3:08 pm

I'm pretty mainstream I'm afraid....cooking, gardening, etc....although did develop a serious addiction to Nintendo's Diddy Kong Racing one cold winter...I'm a pro!

Pimpbot Dec 5th 2003 3:14 pm

Originally posted by BritishInOhio
I love to go hiking too but there ain't too much here in Ohio, plus this time of year your in danger of getting shot by a hunter!!!!
From what I've seen on the news lately, you have a good chance of getting shot riding down the freeway in Ohio!. Sounds like you have a sniper on the loose.

dylan&helen Dec 5th 2003 3:54 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by Yosser
I have pretty active hobbies to, golf, windsurfing of course and also next year I will be trying out some kitesurfing.

I forgot to mention my snowboarding