Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

any HGV mechanics moved to the States?

any HGV mechanics moved to the States?

Old Nov 20th 2013, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute
Default any HGV mechanics moved to the States?

Hello all, my names Andrew and I'm new here. I'm just looking for abit of information from people on a few things.

I suppose the chances of a HGV mechanic being on here are quite slim but maybe some other could help me out anyway, well hopefully

It's a question about qualifications and HGV licences, I'm 26 and have a NVQ Level 3 in HGV maintenance and repair, although I believe it's actually worded as a National Diploma (currently trying to source my certificates or get duplicates). Basically does anybody know if a NVQ in this would be recognised at all in the States? I'm going to be moving to the Phoenix, AZ area if thats relevant at all. Also if my qualification is actually a National Diploma, will the fact it says diploma make it more recognisable in the US?

Secondly I have my Category C+E driving license (class 1 to the older generation), are these recognised at all over there? Or will having that help me gain a truck license over there any easier?

I'm planning on going in January 2016 so I'm not exactly in a rush for answers but want to try and sort things ASAP. I'm sure I'll have more questions sometime so you may see me on here quite often.

Thanks everyone.

Andrew
Old Nov 20th 2013, 4:38 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: any HGV mechanics moved to the States?

The likely answer is no on both fronts. I suggest googling "ASE" - that seems to be a nationally regarded mechanic body.

The driving rules are specific at a state level, so check with the state DMV website.

Be prepared to be asked how (what visa) you're getting here. All this is irrelevant if you don't have a route to the USA.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I should have said really, long story short I went to the US Embassy to apply for a passport last week and had it approved (father is ex-USAF).

But thank you for the quick reply, I shall look into it.

Andrew
Old Nov 20th 2013, 4:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The license, you'll start from scratch, that's for sure.

Qualifications, get a local technical school/community college on the blower and see what they say or who they'll want you to get the NVQ's examined for equivalents for you to do any state tests/exams etc.

If you're a USC, have you been filing US taxes to the IRS? Have if you're under 26, have you signed up with SS? Would need to do that if you were to look into any financing for community college.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Ok excellent thats something that didn't even cross my mind I will look into colleges etc, I'm going to Phoenix next year (this is where my father lives) and was thinking of going to a few truck mechanics workshops and asking them about my situation. But I'd like to get a good idea what I'm talking about before I go.

I have had a social security number since birth but have never paid anything towards social security.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 5:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewlohnes

I have had a social security number since birth but have never paid anything towards social security.
You might not have to pay taxes, but as a USC, if you earn over the threshold, a few grand, you're required to file taxes to the IRS.

SS- Selective Service. The draft, not that they've used one in a while but you still need to sign up for it.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 5:47 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: any HGV mechanics moved to the States?

Ok excellent thats something that didn't even cross my mind I will look into colleges etc, I'm going to Phoenix next year (this is where my father lives) and was thinking of going to a few truck mechanics workshops and asking them about my situation. But I'd like to get a good idea what I'm talking about before I go.

Actually what I think Bob meant was not 'social security' but Selective Service; registration is necessary for all males aged between 18 - 25, even if they're illegally resident in the US! Just in case they want to call young men up for the draft, as they did during the Vietnam War.

(I think I vaguely remember that those with their parents on non-immigrant visas eg. L2's are exempt).

http://www.sss.gov/default.htm
Old Nov 20th 2013, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

Ah sorry my mistake, well luckily I'm 26 now so won't have to do that.

But the taxes thing I didn't know about, again when I go to Phoenix next year I was going to try and set up a bank account etc so I shall also look into that soon.

By the looks of things theres alot of stuff I've got to get my head around! 2 years might not be enough prep time haha!!
Old Nov 20th 2013, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Ah sorry my mistake, well luckily I'm 26 now so won't have to do that.

But the taxes thing I didn't know about, again when I go to Phoenix next year I was going to try and set up a bank account etc so I shall also look into that soon.

By the looks of things theres alot of stuff I've got to get my head around! 2 years might not be enough prep time haha!!
You should look into the tax thing now. Theoretically you could get fined depending on your situation. The requirement has nothing to do with your geographical location, purely that you are a US citizen.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 6:49 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I had to look up HGV mechanic -- it is a phrase that is not used in the United States.

That said, you may want to look up a wonderful publication of the United States Department of Labor called the Occupational Outlook Handbook. It is designed for people trying to figure out what careers they might like to pursue. It is often used in employment based immigration.

I think you are better trained than most US mechanics.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Duncan I will do, I havnt received my US Passport yet so I am not 'officially' a US citizen as yet.

And S.Folinsky in America we are called Diesel Truck Mechanics over here they call it HGV (heavy goods vehicle). I should put diesel truck mechanic in the title really.

And yes I possibly am, iv done 3 years at college and have been a mechanic for 8+ years now. I also did a test called a 'irtec' test which is a test for mechanics every 5 years to show they are still fit for the job.

I currently work for parcel company TNT and would ideally like to work for a international company like UPS or FedEx because I'd hope that way they'd accept UK qualifications also it's the same area that I currently work in so would settle straight away.

And again, thank you all for your replies!
Old Nov 20th 2013, 7:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Thanks Duncan I will do, I havnt received my US Passport yet so I am not 'officially' a US citizen as yet.
You are.

The passport is just a travel document.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Duncan I will do, I havnt received my US Passport yet so I am not 'officially' a US citizen as yet
Sounds like you have been a US citizen since birth so may have quite a backlog of taxes to file.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 10:23 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

As others have mentioned, it is likely that you have been a US citizen (though not automatically). It depends a bit on your parents and their relationship (both USC, one USC and on UK citizen, married / out of wedlock, etc). You've probably already been through all this but for others who find this thread these are the different scenarios:

http://travel.state.gov/law/citizens...ship_5199.html

When these requirements started are particular to your situation. The fact you had an SSN since birth kind of seems like you were a USC from birth, but again it's specific to your situation. As a US citizen, you are required to do several tasks REGARDLESS OF WHERE YOU LIVE. These include:

1) File US taxes every year if income > $9,000USD.
2) Report bank accounts > $10,000 USD (FBAR)
3) Report bank accounts > ~$250,000 USD (FATCA)
4) Register for Selective Service (military draft) if a male.
5) Enter and exit the USA on a US passport only.

Now, when you actually became a citizen is when some of these requirements kicked in. If you were a citizen at birth, then you might have some back filings to complete. If you 'just' became a citizen, then from that point on you will need to start filling in these details (for example, come April 15, 2014, you will need to file a US tax return for calendar year 2013).

As for your original question, you said you are working for TNT. Do they have a US operation? You might be able to get a recommendation or at least some contact details for the US office from your UK supervisors. Perhaps someone you could talk to directly about what was needed to get your qualifications recognized (or partially recognized). You will likely need US-specific training and licensing requirements, often obtained through an "associates degree" at a community college or through some other vocational training program. Your goal would be to get as much of your records recognized or converted such that you would not need to take 100% of the courses here, but maybe just a few minor things like "Rules of the Road" in the US or something. The exact specifics are going to be based on what state you are working on, and what level of experience needed will be dependent on that company's hiring practices.

But, unfortunately, first things first. You may have a bit of a paperwork backlog to sort out with the US.

Last edited by penguinsix; Nov 21st 2013 at 4:13 am.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 1:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

1) File US taxes every year if income > $9,000USD.
One note. Filing taxes doesn't always mean paying taxes. There is a tax treaty between the US and the UK so you are not double taxed up to a certain income level. You still have to file but you likely won't owe any taxes. I have no idea about any penalty fees though, they exist for late filings but I don't know if you would be subject to them for any years you were required to file but haven't yet,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.