British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Any help hugely appreciate it!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/any-help-hugely-appreciate-860567/)

joanna0412 Jun 22nd 2015 5:38 pm

Any help hugely appreciate it!!!

Hello
My family and I have been offered the chance to relocate to Minnapolis from the UK.
I am 32, my fiancée is 31, our daughter is 8 and we have another one due in December.
I was wondering if anyone of a similar situation or who lives in Minnapolis can help us at all!
Firstly would it be better if we were already married upon moving to USA?
Where abouts are the nicest places to live?
(My partner would work in the North so would need to travel to work but we do not want to live in the main cities.)
We would love to live and find a happy, friendly and family orientated neighbourhood not to far out in the sticks though!
Also the schools around the best area? Which and where abouts?
Any advice really would be hugely appreciated as we are new to this!
Thank you so so much
Jo xx

Guindalf Jun 22nd 2015 5:49 pm

Re: Any help hugely appreciate it!!!

I can't help you with the area, but it would help if you were married for the application. Applying for a spouse and dependent children under 21 is a LOT easier if this is the case.

From what I've read, the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul) is a great area to live, but be prepared for a lot of cold weather in the winter! You'll be fighting the snow for a good part of November/December through February and even later, most probably.

As for Medtronic, I have a pump myself, so if you feel you want to send me any free supplies... ;)

Good luck with the move and the new baby.

H Bomb Jun 26th 2015 2:58 pm

Do you intend to work when you get to the US? If so get married now!

Pulaski Jun 26th 2015 3:23 pm

Check out LLBean.com ..... Look for their coldest weather clothing, and prepare to buy lots of it, everything from thermal underwear to the thickest overcoats, and everything in between, because it can and will get cold like you can't imagine - think -20°C, with a windchill taking it down to -40°C. :blink:

Noorah101 Jun 26th 2015 3:52 pm

Is this an L visa, to transfer with the same company?

You need to be married in order to get a derivative visa and to be able to work in the USA.

Rene

phodg Jun 26th 2015 4:05 pm

Freezing cold in Winter, but very nice in the Summer up there. Minneapolis is actually a great town. I've vacationed there a couple of times.

H Bomb Jun 26th 2015 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by phodg (Post 11685497)
I've vacationed there a couple of times.

In the summer?

phodg Jun 26th 2015 6:05 pm

Oh yeah. We get enough cold and snow in Chicago - I'm not going round in Winter looking for more. :)

markonline1 Jun 27th 2015 3:28 am

I don't care how great a place is, -40 in the winter? Eff that!!

Nutek Jun 27th 2015 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by markonline1 (Post 11685979)
I don't care how great a place is, -40 in the winter? Eff that!!

It's a dry cold. :nod:

Pulaski Jun 27th 2015 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 11686274)
It's a dry cold. :nod:

It is also a cold cold. :rolleyes: