British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Any female brits close to Harrisburg Pa? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/any-female-brits-close-harrisburg-pa-500781/)

sandy_lumb Dec 20th 2007 2:40 am

Any female brits close to Harrisburg Pa?

I've been here a couple of years and thought it would be nice to see if there are any brits around here who would like to chat!

NC Penguin Dec 23rd 2007 3:31 pm

Re: Any female brits close to Harrisburg Pa?

Originally Posted by sandy_lumb (Post 5687280)
I've been here a couple of years and thought it would be nice to see if there are any brits around here who would like to chat!

I don't live in PA but I have family (my husband's sister) who live not far from Harrisburg. I visited her last Christmas and again this past summer.

She actually lives about 5 miles south of Carlisle. Where do you live?

sandy_lumb Dec 23rd 2007 5:21 pm

Thank you for replying....I actually moved to Carlisle this weekend! Is your husbands sister British? I have been trying to find a British shop up this way, (I used to live in Florida and there were loads of them there!) but cant find one here. Are you planning on visiting again?

Sandy

NC Penguin Dec 23rd 2007 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by sandy_lumb (Post 5699839)
Thank you for replying....I actually moved to Carlisle this weekend! Is your husbands sister British? I have been trying to find a British shop up this way, (I used to live in Florida and there were loads of them there!) but cant find one here. Are you planning on visiting again?

Sandy

My husband is American so is his sister. She moved to PA in the summer of 2006 partly because her husband's family lives in the area (Harrisburg/Mechanicsburg).

What brought you to the area? Is your husband in the US military?

I try to make it to my sister-in-law's once a year for my nephew or niece's birthday. This year, I was there for the nephew's seventh birthday.

I'll have to ask my SIL if she knows of any British stores. It's certainly not like Florida (with lots of expats).

If I were you, World Market (if they're even in PA) or TJ Maxx may have some British non-perishable foods. e.g. teas, cookies, chocolate.

jumping doris Dec 23rd 2007 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin (Post 5699912)
My husband is American so is his sister. She moved to PA in the summer of 2006 partly because her husband's family lives in the area (Harrisburg/Mechanicsburg).

What brought you to the area? Is your husband in the US military?

I try to make it to my sister-in-law's once a year for my nephew or niece's birthday. This year, I was there for the nephew's seventh birthday.

I'll have to ask my SIL if she knows of any British stores. It's certainly not like Florida (with lots of expats).

If I were you, World Market (if they're even in PA) or TJ Maxx may have some British non-perishable foods. e.g. teas, cookies, chocolate.

The internet shop "British Goods on Line" is based in Harrisburg, don't know if they have an actual shop but at least the stuff would arrive quickly.

I am in PA and I find that the larger Giant Eagles carry some stuff.
There are various places here (Pittsburgh) that sell UK/European things and I can get the general stuff I want.

Patrick Hasler Dec 24th 2007 4:40 am

I get near Harrisburgh now and then .............. NOT FEMALE THOUGH :rofl:

And it's actually New Holand or Hershey I deliver to :rofl:

tracy.b Feb 10th 2008 2:48 am

I'm from the US originally, but my british husband and I live near Lancaster, PA and would love to meet any other expats in the area. And if you do find a good british store, please let us know! At the moment we're surviving on Lyle's golden syrup, Yorkie's, and Ribena from Weis Markets.

sandy_lumb Feb 11th 2008 2:07 pm

Hi Tracy...

Thank you for your reply! I havent found a good British shop yet but we have just had a Wegmans store open up close to us and they have a small (very small) selection of British goods, better than nothing though! How long has your husband lived here in the States? I've been here for 8 years. Maybe we could exchange email addresses! Sandy

jumping doris Feb 11th 2008 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by sandy_lumb (Post 5916852)
Hi Tracy...

Thank you for your reply! I havent found a good British shop yet but we have just had a Wegmans store open up close to us and they have a small (very small) selection of British goods, better than nothing though! How long has your husband lived here in the States? I've been here for 8 years. Maybe we could exchange email addresses! Sandy

Hello

I'm in PA but not near you. I mentioned earlier that there is an internet shop "British Goods On Line" based in Harrisburg. I don't know if they have an actual shop but they sell loads of stuff on line and the delivery is excellent and fast. Even faster for you probably!.

nethead Feb 13th 2008 4:09 pm

Hey just saw this thread, I'm across the river from Harrisburg, in Camp Hill.

One Hung Lo May 28th 2008 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by tracy.b (Post 5910677)
I'm from the US originally, but my british husband and I live near Lancaster, PA and would love to meet any other expats in the area. And if you do find a good british store, please let us know! At the moment we're surviving on Lyle's golden syrup, Yorkie's, and Ribena from Weis Markets.

Hi Tracy, I just saw your email but can't send a PM as I have less than 3 posts. I moved from Wycombe to PA nearly 3 years ago, married to a Noo Yawker. We live in Lancaster having moved down from near Pottsville a couple of years ago. Linda and I would love to meet up with other ex-pats in the area.

[sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread :( ]

Oh, there is a Britain's Best store in Lancaster city; the address is 25 W King St, Lancaster, 17603, (717) 299-5541. It does all the usual suspects like Jaffa Cakes, Bisto Gravy Granules, bacon, pork sausages. It's small but has most of the stuff we tend to miss.

Best regards
Dave

Babsie May 28th 2008 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by sandy_lumb (Post 5687280)

Sandy, we just moved to Carroll County, Maryland from Florida. Not too terribly far away I don't think. Google maps says about 60 miles...........:ohmy:

sandy_lumb May 28th 2008 9:13 pm

Hi...Thank you for your reply! 60 miles isnt too far at all! I lived in Florida too for 5 years before moving up here to Pa about 3 years ago! Small world!! It would be nice to keep in touch, my email address is <<removed. Please use Private Messaging function when applicable>>

Sandy

Babsie May 29th 2008 4:45 pm

Sandy I just joined this website yesterday so I can't read your PM yet. My email is <<removed. Please use Private Messaging function when applicable>>. I'll see if I can grab yours off the post. I was in Florida for 18 long hot humid years, originally from Sussex.

happy555 Aug 27th 2008 12:47 am

I am near York PA. Not to far from Harrisburg. I have just moved to the area and would love to meet other Brits!