British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Any experience with Uhauls UBox (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/any-experience-uhauls-ubox-717795/)

Kweller May 20th 2011 8:11 pm

Any experience with Uhauls UBox

Hi,

I just wondering if anyone on here has had any experience using the Ubox for relocating with the US.

Thanks in Advance :)

Bob May 20th 2011 9:19 pm

Re: Any experience with Uhauls UBox

We hired a large truck and did the pack and move ourself...I think anyone else would be a better option.

Ball ache picking the truck up, ball ache returning it...stupid thing had a oil leak and after sorting it out, had to go through it all again when we returned the truck because the delay meant they wanted another day rate, even though when first talked over the phone about the problem we wouldn't be charged etc.

Got it sorted, but it was such a pain in the arse...plus I know a few other people who have had problems with the trucks being crap.

Might be ok if you had a trailer or car hitch...but dubious about the fleet of trucks, plus you always see them broken down on the side of the road.

Kweller May 20th 2011 9:36 pm

Sorry to hear about you bad experience.

I dont want to hire a truck as i have not been driving over here that long and not sure how i would cope with pulling the car behind the truck and dealing with a crated dog.

The Ubox is like the Pod they drop it off you load it and then they deliver it to the destination. we also don't own that much stuff so it seems a better idea for us.

Bob May 20th 2011 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Kweller (Post 9378063)
Sorry to hear about you bad experience.

I dont want to hire a truck as i have not been driving over here that long and not sure how i would cope with pulling the car behind the truck and dealing with a crated dog.

The Ubox is like the Pod they drop it off you load it and then they deliver it to the destination. we also don't own that much stuff so it seems a better idea for us.

If it's UHaul, based on their quality service...I'd use the POD :lol:

Sheepdip May 21st 2011 2:33 pm

We've hired a couple of U-Haul trucks. Very cheap and loads of locations but very poorly maintained. On the last move we also hired a couple of guys just to load the truck and then un-load it at the other end (I just hired and drove it). Saved loads of time and stress!

Bluegrass Lass May 21st 2011 3:11 pm

Is it a local move, or a long distance move? If it's a local move only, then it could be worth it. We've moved about 5 times in the last 7 years (the most recent one about 5weeks ago). We've rented trucks and paid for the others to move. The least headaches for us has been us packing everything and hiring a moving company to load and unload (a la Two Men a Truck).

Just be sure to consider the whole insurance thing very carefully, even if you go with the POD type move. We accepted the standard insurance for our most recent move (they pay out $.60/pound for damages), and one of the dudes tripped on a step, dropped his end of our sofa and damaged the fabric. I'm now going around in circles with the agent trying to get it repaired. If you have a long distance move, it could be worth paying for more insurance. A good forum for reviews and info is www.movingscam.com/forum.