British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   any experience of shipping mattress from UK to California- (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/any-experience-shipping-mattress-uk-california-897527/)

RelocatingBrit Jun 2nd 2017 2:37 pm

Re: any experience of shipping mattress from UK to California-

Thank you everyone. The mattress is UK Super king. I will ship it all. I have plenty of sheets etc for now so shouldn't need to replace anything for some time. If I do, might have to hop on the plane back home :)

petitefrancaise Jun 2nd 2017 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by RelocatingBrit (Post 12264752)
Thank you everyone. The mattress is UK Super king. I will ship it all. I have plenty of sheets etc for now so shouldn't need to replace anything for some time. If I do, might have to hop on the plane back home :)

ahhh, but someone will come along and tell you that US washing machines will wreck them in no time and that you should get a front loader or should it be a top loader??? :rofl: :popcorn:

(old BE joke..)

Nutek Jun 2nd 2017 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12264755)
ahhh, but someone will come along and tell you that US washing machines will wreck them in no time and that you should get a front loader or should it be a top loader??? :rofl: :popcorn:

(old BE joke..)

Ecto17 Jun 2nd 2017 3:33 pm

Love this site! We travel in 2 weeks and l was going to go out and buy loads of bedding as we are shipping 3 doubles and a single and thought l couldn't get bedding out there!! Now l know better!!! Thanks!!

petitefrancaise Jun 2nd 2017 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Ecto17 (Post 12264790)
Love this site! We travel in 2 weeks and l was going to go out and buy loads of bedding as we are shipping 3 doubles and a single and thought l couldn't get bedding out there!! Now l know better!!! Thanks!!

The only cautionary note about bedlinen....

you can buy fabulous quality sheets and plain pillow cases. However, I find the patterned duvet covers and pillow cases to be just horrible patterns/colours. If you want anything good quality with a modern look, you end up spending $$. My kids are mostly happy with getting their stuff from IKEA but I tend to wait and get fresh ones from Mand S or Next when I return back to the UK.

Chesten Jun 2nd 2017 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by RelocatingBrit (Post 12264752)

You know John Lewis do international shipping for £7.50 for a lot of items - charge is per order not per item. A quick look on their app and bedlinen items seem to be eligible for international delivery. Could be an option...

Ecto17 Jun 2nd 2017 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Chesten (Post 12264800)
You know John Lewis do international shipping for £7.50 for a lot of items - charge is per order not per item. A quick look on their app and bedlinen items seem to be eligible for international delivery. Could be an option...

Great tip!! Do they sell Cadburys?? 😆

RelocatingBrit Jun 7th 2017 3:01 pm

Guys, am back here again with second follow up question. Anyone can advise on shipping companies. I keep reading reviews and then freaking out.
I am quite curious about air shipping and wondered if anyone can advise- I want to ship few boxes of clothes, few boxes of kitchen utensils, 4 boxes of books (sentimental value), the mattress discussed above, UK super king bed.
Thank you,