Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any expats taken an Xbox One to the US?

Any expats taken an Xbox One to the US?

Old Jun 15th 2017, 4:46 am
Just Joined

Surreyguy24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any expats taken an Xbox One to the US?

​hi all, really hoping someone can help me here please.

I have a day one edition 2013 500GB (Black) Xbox One purchased in the U.K. (That of course came with the 200-240v power brick). 2 weeks ago i moved to the U.S. and today purchased a U.S. power brick (100-127v).

When I plug this into the wall the power brick displays an orange light but the moment I then connect the cable to the console itself the light goes out on the brick and I'm unable to power up the console.

Please help me get back online.

Thanks!
Old Jun 15th 2017, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any expats taken an Xbox One to the US?

Should work. Check output voltage etc from both power supplies - are they the same? Alternatively get a step up transformer.
Old Jun 15th 2017, 8:42 am
UK->US

Katdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud of

I did this the opposite way round - bought an XBox One 500GB in 2014, then brought it to the UK.

For the first year or so I used a step-down transformer and it worked just fine. This cost me about £60 though, IIRC. Then, I noticed that it was getting so hot that the plastic on the bottom of the transformer was melting so I figured it needed replacing. Not wanting to spend another £60, I looked for a different A/C adapter knowing that the XBox does support dual voltage.

At the time MS weren't offering the ability to buy new cables, so I had no option there. Unfortunately this market is rife with fakes and cheap chinese knock-offs, the safety of which are dubious at best. I went through two before I found one that reliably worked.

Are you sure the replacement brick is genuine? If not I'd replace it with one from elsewhere, or try to get a genuine one if possible.
Old Jun 15th 2017, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

aless02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond repute

We're bringing a 360 (and a Wii U, as a random aside) and I was hoping just to buy a new brick with US plugs. Can you test the brick with another device?
Old Jun 15th 2017, 1:32 pm
I don't (often) bite

hmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like the brick is the issue. Did you get this from Microsoft or a 3rd party?

I did exactly the same, bringing across my beloved Xbox One, purchased an official Microsoft US power brick off the Xbox Support website. Plugged it it and worked like a charm.
Old Jun 15th 2017, 1:39 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

I got shot of my Xbox one in the UK before i moved and used it as an excuse to by a new one.

Odd your brick rating is 100-127v, all the ones i just researched on amazon have a rating of 100-240
Old Jun 15th 2017, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

I also had a Day One Xbox One but used the move as an excuse to give it away and buy an Xbox One X when it launches in November.

Not worth bringing any electronics I don't think.
Old Jun 15th 2017, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Smartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond repute

I brought mine to the US.

Only issue I experienced was the power block didn't work over here so I had to pay $20 to have one that works. I complained to Xbox since they told me it would be fine and I would just need a US power cable going into the block and got the new US power block and cable for free.

It works fine over here. Playing Fallout 4 all over again and loving it
Old Jun 15th 2017, 4:18 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aless02
We're bringing a 360 (and a Wii U, as a random aside) and I was hoping just to buy a new brick with US plugs. Can you test the brick with another device?
We simply got a new brick & lead for our UK Xbox 360 and it works just fine for playing games etc. If you wanted to use the UK apps (iplayer etc) you would need to connect to the internet via a vpn or similar, but we haven't bothered.
Old Jun 15th 2017, 6:40 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

This is just another reason why PS4 is killing the Xbox this generation. PS4 has an in-built 110-240v PSU.
Old Jun 15th 2017, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smartyy
Playing Fallout 4 all over again and loving it
Such a good video game.
Old Jun 15th 2017, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

Surreyguy24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hmvsdog
Sounds like the brick is the issue. Did you get this from Microsoft or a 3rd party?

I did exactly the same, bringing across my beloved Xbox One, purchased an official Microsoft US power brick off the Xbox Support website. Plugged it it and worked like a charm.
You wouldn't happen to have a link would you? i can't seem to find the power brick listed online at Microsoft anywhere
Old Jun 16th 2017, 1:18 am
I don't (often) bite

hmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Surreyguy24
You wouldn't happen to have a link would you? i can't seem to find the power brick listed online at Microsoft anywhere
Go to the Xbox One support pages and sign in with your Xbox Live account. Then create a repair order for your Xbox. Pick category "Accessories" then Issue Type "Power Supply". From here, it will allow you to order a local power supply. They're not cheap, mine cost $53. But it was cheaper than buying another Xbox.
Old Jun 16th 2017, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

aless02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
We simply got a new brick & lead for our UK Xbox 360 and it works just fine for playing games etc. If you wanted to use the UK apps (iplayer etc) you would need to connect to the internet via a vpn or similar, but we haven't bothered.
Thanks. We don't use apps, and I've bookmarked a few pages on how to change over the Xbox store to USA if we ever want to buy more games.