Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any expat in Hawaii?

Any expat in Hawaii?

Old Jan 5th 2009, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any expat in Hawaii?

I rather be in Maui.

Originally Posted by Ibn Warraq
After lingering in this forum for a while , so far I have yet to rub up against anyone settling in Hawaii. From my traveling experience, Hawaii is definitely among the top-notch state in US. Friendly and beautiful native Hawaiian culture, great diversity of food, wonderful nature scenery,loads of water activity, great night life especially near Waikiki Beach, comfortable, clean and laid back atmosphere, all year sunny weather with abundant palm tree and clear blue sea, low crime (many people especially the gals just wandering in the street in the midnight with nothing but tank top and skirt which something you rarely see in US mainland and No, they are not prostitutes ), no extreme impoverished dangerous ghetto like you see in many other US cities, has the highest life expectancy in US , what else can you dream of? Surely the cost of living is higher, but it is worth it if you factor in all the benefits mentioned above. There are plenty of job resources if you are into tourism industry. Not to mention it is the only state still having Union Jack in its state flag.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 12:05 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ibn Warraq
After lingering in this forum for a while , so far I have yet to rub up against anyone settling in Hawaii. From my traveling experience, Hawaii is definitely among the top-notch state in US. Friendly and beautiful native Hawaiian culture, great diversity of food, wonderful nature scenery,loads of water activity, great night life especially near Waikiki Beach, comfortable, clean and laid back atmosphere, all year sunny weather with abundant palm tree and clear blue sea, low crime (many people especially the gals just wandering in the street in the midnight with nothing but tank top and skirt which something you rarely see in US mainland and No, they are not prostitutes ), no extreme impoverished dangerous ghetto like you see in many other US cities, has the highest life expectancy in US , what else can you dream of? Surely the cost of living is higher, but it is worth it if you factor in all the benefits mentioned above. There are plenty of job resources if you are into tourism industry. Not to mention it is the only state still having Union Jack in its state flag.

Too crowded and I don't think it snows there.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 5:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Kona coffee. 'nuff said.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 8:11 pm
Banned

Ibn Warraq is an unknown quantity at this point

Mai Tai, shaven ice, poke, ukulele,hula dance, palm tree, Aloha hospitality, sunny beach..

I wish I am there now..

Last edited by Ibn Warraq; Jan 6th 2009 at 9:29 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

uk123 is an unknown quantity at this point

In answer to your original question.... yes... I live here in Hawaii. I'm on Maui though. Finding a job was bloody hard but now that I have one, life's pretty good. Things are F$£king expensive and the education system beggars belief but it has its good sides too. Mandatory employee healthcare provisions for one... hitting the water everyday after work, for another!!
Old Sep 6th 2009, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

bohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nice

Originally Posted by uk123
In answer to your original question.... yes... I live here in Hawaii. I'm on Maui though. Finding a job was bloody hard but now that I have one, life's pretty good. Things are F$£king expensive and the education system beggars belief but it has its good sides too. Mandatory employee healthcare provisions for one... hitting the water everyday after work, for another!!
No, Texas here Maui's the best. I love Kaanapali. If there is a heaven, and I get to go, please let it be on Maui. If you haven't already, eat dinner at Chez Paul (down the highway) and Longhi's in Lahaina, i encourage you to. And, if you do, please post back with every detail.

If I was young, brave, motherless and money was no object, I'd be there now. Keep us posted!
Old Sep 7th 2009, 3:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Too crowded and I don't think it snows there.
It does snow, but you have to go way up to the top of some mountain, forget its name though.

As for me, I'd love to live in Hawaii, but that damn 3,000 or so miles to California and no real option other then flying, gets too exspensive to leave the island.

Although I might try it out someday, but food costs and such seem a tad high.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

bohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
It does snow, but you have to go way up to the top of some mountain, forget its name though.

As for me, I'd love to live in Hawaii, but that damn 3,000 or so miles to California and no real option other then flying, gets too exspensive to leave the island.

Although I might try it out someday, but food costs and such seem a tad high.
Is it Mt. Haleakala (I know that's misspelled)? Yeah, and $8 for a gallon of milk seems a bit steep. Then again, it IS paradise... always a price.