British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Any ex-pats in the Portland Oregon area?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/any-ex-pats-portland-oregon-area-529861/)

Kate3721 Apr 16th 2008 11:36 pm

Any ex-pats in the Portland Oregon area??

I dont seem to meet many ex-pats in this area of the USA. I travel to San Francisco a lot and meet quite a few there, but I miss being able to chat with fellow Brits in person in Portland!

eighthoursbehind Apr 23rd 2008 9:20 pm

Re: Any ex-pats in the Portland Oregon area??

'ello :)

I'm in Hood River..

Has you been to the saturday market? There is a little canteen/booth manned by a Liverpudlian. He always seems happy for a chat :) I never used to drink tea back in blighty but after a cup of his scaldlingly hot pg i'm addicted.. a little piece of home that sets me apart from the java drinkers over here perhaps.

Regards,

Mark

meauxna Apr 23rd 2008 11:09 pm

And aren't his pies nice?!

There is also the Horse Brass Pub on SE Belmont at about 45th.. they've got a little grocery on the side (there are groceries upstairs near Saturday Market too, if they haven't evicted everyone from the New Market Theatre building).
You can get all the pickled eggs you've ever wanted at the Horse Brass.

It's been my observation that Brits in Oregon aren't too clubby. They also whine considerably less than those in other parts of the US.. coincidence? I don't think so. :)
(could've sworn I posted this here yesterday.. getting senile now too, sigh)

Poppy girl Apr 24th 2008 12:34 am

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 6256436)

There is also the Horse Brass Pub on SE Belmont at about 45th.. they've got a little grocery on the side (there are groceries upstairs near Saturday Market too, if they haven't evicted everyone from the New Market Theatre building).

It's been my observation that Brits in Oregon aren't too clubby. They also whine considerably less than those in other parts of the US.. coincidence? I don't think so. :)
(could've sworn I posted this here yesterday.. getting senile now too, sigh)

You said it ;)

Kate3721 Apr 24th 2008 5:25 am

I havent met the Liverpudlian. I shall have to go visit the Saturday market this summer :)

I frequent the Horse Brass Pub on Belmont. Have a decent steak and kidney pie there. I also go to the Moon and Sixpence in Hollywood district. They have darts and an excellent bread pudding :thumbup:

I live south of the Portland metro area so dont go to these pubs as often as I would like. Would be nice to have that friendly local pub that I miss from home!!

farmerwife Apr 24th 2008 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by Kate3721 (Post 6257401)
I havent met the Liverpudlian. I shall have to go visit the Saturday market this summer :)

I frequent the Horse Brass Pub on Belmont. Have a decent steak and kidney pie there. I also go to the Moon and Sixpence in Hollywood district. They have darts and an excellent bread pudding :thumbup:

I live south of the Portland metro area so dont go to these pubs as often as I would like. Would be nice to have that friendly local pub that I miss from home!!

If you are south of Portland metro have you been to John Barleycorn's? (it's a McMenanins) pub by the Home Depot in Tigard / Carmen Drive area. It has a great old fashioned silver pot bellied stove going in winter, and some good brews and food.

eighthoursbehind Apr 25th 2008 1:46 am

Oh, his pies are to die for! Proper cornish pasties..

Talking of pubs there is actually an english pub in Hood River called the Horse and Hounds. Unfortunately they seemed to have modeled it on a rather scruffy little south London pub..

lansbury Apr 26th 2008 7:12 pm

There are quiet a few scattered around the Metro area, many more than you might think. It seems most simulate into the local life and don't have a meeting place where a lot will go. Everytime I go to the Horse Brass seems more Americans and very few Brits.

JD99 Apr 29th 2008 6:25 am

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 6256436)

The place next to Horse Brass was called The Belmont Station. It moved a few streets north. Sorry, but I can't recall the name of the street it's now on.

The Horse Brass shows football every Saturday morning on television screens in the pub. They will also be showing the FA cup live on the 17th, starting at 6:30 am.

I was in the Horse Brass yesterday. Funny that it still allows smoking, but pubs in the UK have been smoke free for months. Oregon doesn't become smoke free until 01/01/09.