Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any employment tips?

Any employment tips?

Old Feb 25th 2003, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

snoble is a jewel in the roughsnoble is a jewel in the roughsnoble is a jewel in the roughsnoble is a jewel in the rough
Red face Any employment tips?

Hi all,

Don't know if any of you remember my situation from the end of last year, but I'm back in the US again trying to get my H1-B. I completely failed to gain any interest from employers last time so I would dearly love to change that fact now. Thing is, I've been here for a month already and things are even worse than before.

To make matters worse, my girlfriend has just suffered a family bereavement recently and so she very emotionally fragile. The thought of seeing me go back to Blighty and not return for quite some time is really upsetting to her (and me).

I'm trying really hard to do this properly, and not break the law or abuse the system, but immigration here makes it so hard (I can't believe people from N. Ireland can get green cards. N.I. was part of the UK last time I checked, surely the same rules should apply?). So if anyone can offer any suggestions of ways of getting employment in California, preferably Orange Couny, I'd really appreciate it.

Before anyone starts suggesting marriage I should say that she is only 21, still at school, and under extreme stress at the moment, so yes I have thought about it but it really isn't an option for the time being.

Thanks all.
Old Feb 27th 2003, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Now in West London, but one day soon in Vancouver.....!
julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute

hi, there!
well, i know the situation well!
i tried for well over 5 damned years to get a reasonable job there but i have nothing to show for it after all that time, albeit a bruised ego!
and its not that i wasn't qualified--i have over 15 yrs experience in electronics, communications, quality assurance, radar, etc and am also qualified to hnd level, as well as being in the middle of an online msc electronics degree course !!
one thing i found in the usa is that no-one gives two-you-know-whats even if you have the qualifications/experience, etc. what counts there is mainly who you know; if you know someone working in a good firm, they usually mostly are able to get their friends in too. the other thing i found--there is no such thing as common courtesy that we work to here in the uk, or so it seemed to me! even after call upon call, email upon email chasing up applications, there is not even a "thank you" forthcoming! whereas here at least you tend to get a formal confirmation of your application and if not successful, a formal rejection letter.
i am now in my mid 40s, so my chances for jobs are kinda limited; thats why i am now going for a business-this way, i will answer to nobody but myself and the hire-n-fire culture cannot touch me, as i will be my own boss!
for you, all i can recommend is that you dont fall in the trap i did; if by now you have not found anything suitable, go for ANY reasonable job, and meantime, keep looking out for your real interests--go to jobfairs, put small ads in local rags,etc. good luck, matey!
Old Feb 28th 2003, 1:51 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

Totally agree with Julius...

It really isn't what you know (although that does help when applying for the H1B visa) its who you know (or more appropriatly, who knows YOU) my best advice would be to get your CV out to as many people as you can, sell yourself like you never have before, call as many people as you can and ask their advice on the situation, you never know, sooner or later the chances are that someone knows someone or something that can help you...

Best of luck

Chris
Old Feb 28th 2003, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the biggest issue here is the downturn in the economy. With plenty of Americans looking for work it is not a done deal to be able to get a H1B for a foreign employee as it was a couple of years ago. Add in the expense of hiring a lawyer and the hassles involved and you can see why employer's are going for local hires.

I don't think anyone should take it personally, but the truth is it is the same for a foreigner trying to get a job in the UK.

Not sure what your qualifications are, but without a degree it would be very difficult to even get a H1B approved.

Don't give up, but you need to be realistic about your situation.
Old Feb 28th 2003, 5:24 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

The downturn in the economy is, to a certain extent at least, industry specific and depending on what you're expectations/experience/qualifications are, you are at least in with a fighting chance. No doubt there's competition for the H1B but that's no reason to give up or not to at least ask for it. As far as the lawyers, its true, they are very expensive but essential in order to get the visa processing completed fast and trouble free, a good employer will usually pay for this anyway.

Again, good luck, I am testament to the fact that if you want something bad enough, and you have persistence, you can achieve it.
Old Mar 5th 2003, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

chicagobrit is an unknown quantity at this point

If a firm comes along and says they will sponsor you
and start the Green Card process for you watch them like a hawk.
All they want is you working for them, so they may just hood-wink
you into believing they (and THEIR attorney) are doing all they
can for you. Lies and excuses will all you hear if you are not
careful.
They know as soon as you get your Green Card, you can leave
them, but you are handcuffed to them until then. They
will slow it down, do everything in their power to keep you hanging on waiting.
My advice, let them sponsor your H1B, but insist on using your
own attorney, and even finance the Green Card yourself. Put by
$10,000 for fee's.
Wise Up on RIR - Non RIR - The EB Categories, and the whole
deal on Labor Certification.

Be careful because you may end up working for some company who is ripping you off, and then after your H1B expires they will say thanks here's minimal amount of money neeed for flight back to the UK, and too bad about the Green Card.
Then you will be forced to leave the US.

It happens believe me !!
Old Mar 5th 2003, 8:09 pm
dealing with it

Obviously, Green Card and H1B are two completely different issues, I don't know of many companies that make an immediate offer to sponsor someone's application for a green card, the usual method will be where a company will offer to sponsor an H1B or L1 application. Also, why put by $10,000 for a lawyer bill yourself when a sponsoring company is quite happy to do it for you (thats assuming that you find one that is).
When you are in possession of a valid H1B, switching between jobs (should you lose faith in your present company) is relatively painless, and can be done without the aid of a lawyer, furthermore, you can get instant authorisation to work, without having to wait on the INS 'OK' as you do when switching between L1 (or any other visa) and H1B.
On re-reading your questions, my honest advice would be to get out there, find a company wishing to sponsor your H1B application and take the steps over the next bridge of Green card when you come to it. I'm assuming also that your girlfriend is a US citizen, if this is the case and you are trying to stay together in the US, one day (and on H1B you'll have 6 years to decide) you may get married and the talk about the green card is quite irrelevant.

Anyway, best of luck again

Chris

Originally posted by chicagobrit
If a firm comes along and says they will sponsor you
and start the Green Card process for you watch them like a hawk.
All they want is you working for them, so they may just hood-wink
you into believing they (and THEIR attorney) are doing all they
can for you. Lies and excuses will all you hear if you are not
careful.
They know as soon as you get your Green Card, you can leave
them, but you are handcuffed to them until then. They
will slow it down, do everything in their power to keep you hanging on waiting.
My advice, let them sponsor your H1B, but insist on using your
own attorney, and even finance the Green Card yourself. Put by
$10,000 for fee's.
Wise Up on RIR - Non RIR - The EB Categories, and the whole
deal on Labor Certification.

Be careful because you may end up working for some company who is ripping you off, and then after your H1B expires they will say thanks here's minimal amount of money neeed for flight back to the UK, and too bad about the Green Card.
Then you will be forced to leave the US.

It happens believe me !!
Old Mar 5th 2003, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

snoble is a jewel in the roughsnoble is a jewel in the roughsnoble is a jewel in the roughsnoble is a jewel in the rough

Chris,

Thanks for your comments. They've given me a bit to think about. The main problem I have though is in getting people to notice me. I've sent resumes and made phone calls to loads of local job agencies, and applied countless times for jobs. But despite this I still can't get anyone to interview me. That's the hard bit. Once there I could sweet-talk, impress, or make a deal to get myself the position.

I have a degree and 3 years experience, so it's not my skills that are in question. I really just think there's a certain level of arrogancy to the employment process here that makes people think I couldn't possibly have anything to offer them. And they couldn't be farther from the truth.

My girlfriend is a US citizen. It's only for her that I'm doing this (I have strong personal and political views on the USA that I'm willing to bury for the greater good). So my commitment to being here long term is good, but I don't think employers necessarily see it that way.
Old Mar 5th 2003, 9:42 pm
dealing with it

what is it that you do and what is it that you are looking for?

You never know, either I or someone else reading may be able to help...
Old Mar 5th 2003, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

I'm an IT professional. My main area of expertise over the past three years has been Internet application development, such as subscriber services or intranets and extranets.

While at uni I studied C++ programming and wrote a complete application for my final grade, so I'm also skilled in that area too.

I thought I had good chances with these skills, though perhaps the problem is that I'm looking in the Orange County / LA area.
Old Mar 6th 2003, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

chicagobrit is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish I could help you, but my only contacts are in Mid
West - Chicago - St Louis - Kansas City.
If you're willing to relocate, I could forward your resume
to a couple of recruiters I know (more importantly - I trust).

It seems you're really limiting your scope by looking only
in Orange Count / CA, but you may strike Gold who know's.

You're obvously a great person to stick by your girl friend
through this time, and also have your own worrying situation.
I would also keep on the back burner the worst case scenario and plan for that. You don't want to end up getting deported and cosequently banned for 3 years or more.

Keep the faith
Old Mar 6th 2003, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

One thing you do have to remember is you are trying to deal with one of the most useless professions in the world - the HR department. These people are arrogant, they know they have the power, and rather than actually admit they don't know what your skills mean, they tend to ignore people. Agencies are no better. My husband has been a contractor for 8 years and we are yet to find an agency where they actually know how to read and understand a skill set.

The truth is it is a bad market to be trying to get a job here in the US. My husband's employer receives 400 cv's a day, so you can imagine how hard it is to even get to the stage of interview. They are still employing foreigners, but only those who have the specific skills they are after. My husband's section has been trying to get another couple of employee's for the longest time, but HR are so slow at processing anything that nothing ever eventuates. Even people who were formerly employed at the company have found the only way to get back in is to make contact with friends within the company because HR just seems to scan all the resumes and that's the end of it.

Best of luck with your search.
Old Mar 11th 2003, 9:06 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by snoble
I'm an IT professional. My main area of expertise over the past three years has been Internet application development, such as subscriber services or intranets and extranets.

While at uni I studied C++ programming and wrote a complete application for my final grade, so I'm also skilled in that area too.

I thought I had good chances with these skills, though perhaps the problem is that I'm looking in the Orange County / LA area.
I'm under the impression that the IT bubble is bursting and employees in the IT industry are losing their jobs just like others in other industries. This may well be one reason why you're not getting a positive response to your resume.

Another issue is your resume. Is it fully Americanized? It took me some time and research to Americanize my resume to the point that I bought a book on how to write a resume (it covers different industries, people from overseas, difficult info to include in a resume).

One last point-I'm job hunting myself and I've noticed so often that employers are only interested in candidates who do NOT require any kind of visa to be employed. This is a reflection of the state of the economy.

I wish you the best of luck but perhaps it would be more beneficial if you and your girlfriend made plans to be together after she has completed her degree and hopefully, by then, the American economy may have picked up.

NC Penguin
Old Mar 11th 2003, 11:01 pm
dealing with it

If all else fails, try another country...your girlfriend could do a years placement at a University in Canada or Australia, both are much easier for you to get a working visa for, if she's not interested in studying abroad, get out and travel after she's finished studying, you'll stay together and have a blast. It worked for me!
Old Apr 21st 2003, 5:01 am
Just Joined

Talking

Chris,

Just thought you might be interested to know I managed to get a job offer, and right before I had to go back to England too!

I was just wondering if I could pick your brains for a bit of advice on what happens now. My company is picking up the bill for the visa, and is using an attorney to get it. They already have an H1-B person so they know all of the ins and outs. So I'm wondering what has to be done from my end of things, such as where do I get forms from, etc. I guess most of the things I would want to know may be answered by the company or lawyer once they receive my acceptance note, but it's always good to have a little information beforehand. I have to fly back in under a week as my visa waiver runs out, too.

Many thanks.