Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any Christians In?

Any Christians In?

Old Dec 8th 2012, 1:51 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Christians In?

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Interesting

I'm still not sure where I stand actually. I think in a very personal way I still have a lot of beliefs.

I do know that I cannot understand the way religion can take over a persons life and the way they react to other people who do not share their beliefs. Another reason to keep it all personal

I was brought up in an era of Sunday School and going to church every week as a normal activity. I could recite (still can) the books of the Bible, psalms, prayers and hymns just the same as I could with my times tables at school. It was also in a time when schools taught Religous Education and school assembly always ended with the Lords Prayer so it was a part of my up bringing.

So as I grew older and questioned some of my past religous learnings I found it hard to completely cut myself from it...I still talk to "God" in my head. I don't ask for anything and I don't call it a prayer either it's more of a frustrating questioning of situations when life gets tough, it helps

Whatever brings you comfort and is right for you then more power to you having found it
Cel you iz wunnerful
Old Dec 8th 2012, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

Middlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex
Nope - I was mental long before this. This is just your usual prodigal son story I guess. To be honest 5 or 6 years ago I was a signed up, fully fledged Christian. I had a wonderful church through which I could serve and get fellowship, was baptised, had a healthy faith. Was all good stuff. Then 3 or so years back my family moved back to the US and I was often the sort of for-show Sunday Christian most of that time that irked me before I became a christian myself. I drifted basically. I became massively disillusioned by religion. Especially the strands of selfish, hateful, prosperity-doctrine political-religion around. I was very up and down and struggled with a lot of doubt. Then I actually renounced the whole thing. Quite caustically as well. On reflection I did that so I could justify my own selfish behavior and it was aimed at the wrong thing entirely.

Two to three months ago I came back to my faith stronger and healthier than ever. Now I'm genuinely interested in any other hidden BE Christians who might be interested in fellowship and whatnot. Those of us who've been through a good home group, bible study group or even a good Alpha course will know how valuable they are.
Great post, I can relate to most of that, especially the 'for-show Christians' I find in churches here. I used to be in a great church, with solid homegroups and powerful prayer meetings, but here it seems we just meet for coffee . . .
Old Dec 8th 2012, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

When my children were younger I had some hand-wringing moments over our lack of church going activity. Here it seems to be the norm but growing up we would turn up to midnight mass once a year if that, albeit slightly merry.

For a couple of years we went to a Unitarian Universalist Church which has a humanist and nature based approach. The congregation was an interesting mix of lapsed Catholics, Jews etc and quite liberal leaning. Our kids got involved in helping out at soup kitchens and we quite enjoyed the experience.

One of the reasons we stopped going, apart from the fact I never felt truly comfortable with the whole 'Church' thing was the relentless pressure to officially 'join'. It seems like you couldn't just show up on a Sunday and put a tenner in the hat. If you attended more than a year and hadn't 'joined' and signed up for tithing then we started to feel a coolish stance from the pastor. 'Members' had fancy pins they would wear and non-members had paper name-tags.

However I understand that Churches have payroll and expenses to meet but we couldn't afford to make a regular financial commitment when we were struggling to even put food on the table.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 6:40 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I'm still not sure where I stand actually. I think in a very personal way I still have a lot of beliefs.

I do know that I cannot understand the way religion can take over a persons life and the way they react to other people who do not share their beliefs. Another reason to keep it all personal

I was brought up in an era of Sunday School and going to church every week as a normal activity. I could recite (still can) the books of the Bible, psalms, prayers and hymns just the same as I could with my times tables at school. It was also in a time when schools taught Religous Education and school assembly always ended with the Lords Prayer so it was a part of my up bringing.

So as I grew older and questioned some of my past religous learnings I found it hard to completely cut myself from it...I still talk to "God" in my head. I don't ask for anything and I don't call it a prayer either it's more of a frustrating questioning of situations when life gets tough, it helps

Whatever brings you comfort and is right for you then more power to you having found it
Originally Posted by cindyabs
Cel you iz wunnerful
+1! Very well said, Sugarmooma.

I'm looking for a church in this country...though not successfully ATM. I'm finding this thread helpful in pointing out why I'm having trouble.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 9:19 pm
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

I tried a new church today. It was ace.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 9:50 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex
I tried a new church today. It was ace.
I'm agnostic, but I've been a few times, mostly out of curiosity. One of my aunts is a Methodist, so I'd go with her if I just happened to be visiting her. It wasn't bad. I met a lot of nice people through that church, none of whom tried to shove their religion down my throat. On the contrary, I went to the pub with them and went hiking with them on the Yorkshire moors. Nice people...just had to keep my potty mouth in check and not drop any "F" bombs.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 9:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
I'm agnostic, but I've been a few times, mostly out of curiosity. One of my aunts is a Methodist, so I'd go with her if I just happened to be visiting her. It wasn't bad. I met a lot of nice people through that church, none of whom tried to shove their religion down my throat. On the contrary, I went to the pub with them and went hiking with them on the Yorkshire moors. Nice people...just had to keep my potty mouth in check and not drop any "F" bombs.
Really? Our catholic friends here have the dirtiest mouths possible

Most F bombs are followed by a Hail Mary though