Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any Christians In?

Any Christians In?

Old Dec 7th 2012, 5:46 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Christians In?

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Shoe on the other foot, damning something you know nothing about.
You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't ...
Old Dec 7th 2012, 5:48 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Shoe on the other foot, damning something you know nothing about.
Please explain
Old Dec 7th 2012, 5:53 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Please explain
Ignorance by choice, not happenstance, is no excuse to condemn something.

PS I AM not speaking of punishments that go along with certain beliefs etc. I am not for burning someone alive, or stoning them to death.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

It still would damn most of those people as they would not have heard about it anyway. Even in modern times, there are those that have not been exposed to Christianity, even verbally.
I'm confused now, because those people aren't damned by (mainstream) Christianity. You seem to be arguing against a straw man there.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 6:10 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
I'm confused now, because those people aren't damned by (mainstream) Christianity. You seem to be arguing against a straw man there.
Then I stand corrected.

....but.....a thought crosses my mind.....it's a bit mean to proselytize
Old Dec 7th 2012, 6:15 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Then I stand corrected.

....but.....a thought crosses my mind.....it's a bit mean to proselytize
Nobody wants to be the Wicker Man, at least if they're conscious.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 7:18 pm
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Leslie
What a perfectly stupid thing to say.

Do you have internet Tourettes or are you just a simpleton?
OMG Are YOU a disciple of his???
Old Dec 7th 2012, 7:20 pm
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

Jesus was a very savvy Jewish politician. End of story.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 8:11 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

I was reading a good article about 3 weeks ago, and I've used it about 4 times since then. (I might have found it through this site now I think about it).

Earlier this year I was attending a few days away with my friend and her sister and some friends of theirs. Now I know my friends religious beliefs, and they know mine, I wish I'd had this article in my repertoire back then, as one of the women who when she found out that I not only wasn't a Christian, but also didn't believe in god, she flipped out..... She said that she never associated with anyone who wasn't Christian, because she had nothing in common, including moral standards.

Anyway the article said that today in the world there are over 2800 deities, Zeus, venus, Ra, God, etc...... as Christians only believe in one true god, so by definition, Christians don't believe in the other 2799 gods. I, as an unbeliever, don't believe in just one more...... I don't believe in theirs either. we're really very close indeed.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 8:18 pm
He/him

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
I was reading a good article about 3 weeks ago, and I've used it about 4 times since then. (I might have found it through this site now I think about it).

Earlier this year I was attending a few days away with my friend and her sister and some friends of theirs. Now I know my friends religious beliefs, and they know mine, I wish I'd had this article in my repertoire back then, as one of the women who when she found out that I not only wasn't a Christian, but also didn't believe in god, she flipped out..... She said that she never associated with anyone who wasn't Christian, because she had nothing in common, including moral standards.

Anyway the article said that today in the world there are over 2800 deities, Zeus, venus, Ra, God, etc...... as Christians only believe in one true god, so by definition, Christians don't believe in the other 2799 gods. I, as an unbeliever, don't believe in just one more...... I don't believe in theirs either. we're really very close indeed.
I think that was the Rickey Gervaise article in the NYT
Old Dec 7th 2012, 8:21 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JRG67
OMG Are YOU a disciple of his???
You just keep it coming with these ingenious zingers!! How do you do it?
Old Dec 7th 2012, 8:23 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

I think that was the Rickey Gervaise article in the NYT
Yup... thanks!
Old Dec 7th 2012, 8:24 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Leslie
You just keep it coming with these ingenious zingers!! How do you do it?
Privileged information
Old Dec 8th 2012, 12:48 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

What about Sister Christian?

Old Dec 8th 2012, 1:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex
Nope - I was mental long before this. This is just your usual prodigal son story I guess. To be honest 5 or 6 years ago I was a signed up, fully fledged Christian. I had a wonderful church through which I could serve and get fellowship, was baptised, had a healthy faith. Was all good stuff. Then 3 or so years back my family moved back to the US and I was often the sort of for-show Sunday Christian most of that time that irked me before I became a christian myself. I drifted basically. I became massively disillusioned by religion. Especially the strands of selfish, hateful, prosperity-doctrine political-religion around. I was very up and down and struggled with a lot of doubt. Then I actually renounced the whole thing. Quite caustically as well. On reflection I did that so I could justify my own selfish behavior and it was aimed at the wrong thing entirely.

Two to three months ago I came back to my faith stronger and healthier than ever. Now I'm genuinely interested in any other hidden BE Christians who might be interested in fellowship and whatnot. Those of us who've been through a good home group, bible study group or even a good Alpha course will know how valuable they are.

Interesting

I'm still not sure where I stand actually. I think in a very personal way I still have a lot of beliefs.

I do know that I cannot understand the way religion can take over a persons life and the way they react to other people who do not share their beliefs. Another reason to keep it all personal

I was brought up in an era of Sunday School and going to church every week as a normal activity. I could recite (still can) the books of the Bible, psalms, prayers and hymns just the same as I could with my times tables at school. It was also in a time when schools taught Religous Education and school assembly always ended with the Lords Prayer so it was a part of my up bringing.

So as I grew older and questioned some of my past religous learnings I found it hard to completely cut myself from it...I still talk to "God" in my head. I don't ask for anything and I don't call it a prayer either it's more of a frustrating questioning of situations when life gets tough, it helps

Whatever brings you comfort and is right for you then more power to you having found it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.