Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any Christians In?

Any Christians In?

Old Dec 6th 2012, 8:42 pm
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all
Default Re: Any Christians In?

Originally Posted by Speedwell
I am not the woman who posted this blog entry, but she and her commenters describe everything as well as or better than I could. http://freethoughtblogs.com/aronra/2...am-coming-out/

I just lost a friend because my husband voiced some opinions critical of religion while we had her and her boyfriend over for drinks. They both knew we were atheists. Something I served for dinner disagreed with her, and she spent a bad night (it did not affect the rest of us), but because I am an atheist, she told me the next day that she thought we had done it on purpose because of her religious views... after all, what would stop us, we have no moral compass. I had an ex-boss assume I was a pot smoker (I'm not) because "you're one of those godless liberals". I can't object to the e-mail sigs at work that quote Bible verses and recommend child abuse, false humility, and disregard for secular law. In fact, I went out on a limb at work by responding to someone's Thanksgiving sermonizing with this bit of humor: http://gdgdtrip.com/files/2012/12/denada.jpg) and I instantly became the underground contact for a few secular co-workers who also felt lost between the cracks. The oil industry in Houston is international, but that just means that people are protective of their differences. I have a hard enough time trying to remember which of my husband's extended family are Protestant and which Catholic, and I am not always perfect at it, and I embarrass myself. I don't want to have to deal with religious partisanship at work too. I almost got in trouble a few years ago because I chose to give to a secular charity outside of work, instead of the work-sponsored Salvation Army fundraising drive. My non-participation meant that the organizers failed to meet a 100% participation target.

But I think I've expanded enough now. You can have your thread back.
I KNOW you are a sinning pot-head! Repent or die.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 8:48 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JRG67
I KNOW you are a sinning pot-head! Repent or die.
The fact that my best friend runs a large medical marijuana dispensary in San Francisco has nothing to do with it I'm the world's only middle-aged woman who has to deal with drug peer pressure from her friends.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 8:52 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

...only atheist in my Houston neighborhood, married to a man who is statistically likely to be the only atheist in his small town in Northern Ireland
Living in a hell hole like Houston would be enough to make anyone believe there isn't a God.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:00 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex
I'm harmless enough and I figured enough of you would give me some wiggle room based on me not being the fight-picking sort.
I used to moderate an atheist chatroom, and I'd tell people that I had no problem with their beliefs, not a single problem in the world, provided I could see that they were trying to figure out what was true and real and kind, and act accordingly. Anyone who is on that path is my friend.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:02 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

<... interesting response snipped...>
Thanks for responding. I pick up on this in the broader culture, but up in the PNW, I do not really come in to direct contact with it. Within family, generally, religion and politics are not discussed, so I get to see the nice side of the extended family (and just hear rumors of the oddities).
Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

I am not the woman who posted this blog entry, but she and her commenters describe everything as well as or better than I could. http://freethoughtblogs.com/aronra/2...am-coming-out/
I read your post and I read that blog and nodded and identified with all of it - with people like that, being the "wrong" kind of Christian is as bad as being (draw breath and hiss) an atheist!

But then I come from the kind of religious background where its normal to discuss the scriptures in things like house groups. Have conversations about "just what did Jesus or St Paul mean when he said that". And not accepting and believing everything told to me from a pulpit. Working. Out. Your. Faith. For. Yourself.

Sadly, too many people do check in their brains at the church door and take everything at face value told to them by a preacher (like atheists have no morals - wtf?). I dunno why, but I think people have always been very literal like that, even those who listened to Jesus himself. Probably why he spoke in parables so much - they're often followed by a comment that there was much head scratching from the Apostles when they didn't get it.

Oh, and edited to say that like you, I have had no problems having conversations with atheists (or other Christians or Jews or Muslims or Hindus or etc etc etc) when all parties have thought through their positions and are generally respectful of each others beliefs or non-beliefs. The problem is with people who believe if you're not "with us" you therefore must be "against us". Pretty much like conversations about politics really.

Last edited by yellowroom; Dec 6th 2012 at 9:57 pm. Reason: posted too soon, meant to say last paragraph too.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:51 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

I have a strong faith but struggle with the Churches here and some of the backward views. I know people say you cant pick and choose what you believe ..well I do, I dont think God will sue me because I dont condemn my gay friends.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
know people say you cant pick and choose what you believe
And people that say that have their pants on fire. All Christian denominations pick and chose which bits of the Bible to follow.

The divide between liberal and fundie/evo christians is as interesting as the left/right splits in politics. You get sides totally talking past each other. Sweeping generalisations follow:

Liberal Christians tend to focus on big picture "love God, love your neighbour" stuff, and will get agitated about things like social justice (feeding the hungry, clothing the poor, healing the sick). Therefore acceptance of LGBT people is completely logical (love your neighbour, justice for the oppressed) and not a problem for them.

Fundie/evo Christians focus is on the Word of God as revealed in the Bible. Therefore if they are convinced the Bible says something like "don't lie with a man as with a woman" then gay sex is condemned. They cannot see why a liberal Christian would shrug, talk about the context of the time and put it in the same category of "things that aren't relevant any more" like owning slaves, stoning adulters and paying interest on bank loans.

It's very sad - we're all trying to be good Christians but talking completely different languages to each other. Liberal Christians still read the Bible, evos still run soup kitchens, but we don't seem to be able to connect on a meaningful level to agree what is important.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 12:54 pm
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

Hope you aren't a disciple of Warren Jeffs!
Old Dec 7th 2012, 2:11 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

What a perfectly stupid thing to say.

Do you have internet Tourettes or are you just a simpleton?
Old Dec 7th 2012, 2:20 pm
Mouthy Yank

Dude.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 2:22 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
What a perfectly stupid thing to say.

Do you have internet Tourettes or are you just a simpleton?
'Perfectly stupid' - what a delightful oxymoron

OK, as you were ...
Old Dec 7th 2012, 2:31 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
'Perfectly stupid' - what a delightful oxymoron

OK, as you were ...
I think it must take quite some effort to be such complete and pristine fool.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 2:44 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
I think it must take quite some effort to be such complete and pristine fool.
Quite possibly. It takes quite an effort for me not to be one
Old Dec 7th 2012, 3:03 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
And people that say that have their pants on fire. All Christian denominations pick and chose which bits of the Bible to follow.

The divide between liberal and fundie/evo christians is as interesting as the left/right splits in politics. You get sides totally talking past each other. Sweeping generalisations follow:
Isn't this the division between which testament one follows, my own thought is that people just go with the one that matches their world view before consulting God.

Jesus revolutionized Judaism, and the conflict comes from the disparity between Jesus and the Old Testament. I have never heard a convincing explanation at reconciling Old and New Books.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.