Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any Christians In?

Any Christians In?

Old Dec 6th 2012, 3:01 pm
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all
Default Re: Any Christians In?

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Still a better love story than Twilight ...
I'll send you photos if anything happens!
Old Dec 6th 2012, 3:28 pm
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JRG67
Have you had some kind of mental breakdown?? Or have you just worked out that religion is a great money-maker??
Nope - I was mental long before this. This is just your usual prodigal son story I guess. To be honest 5 or 6 years ago I was a signed up, fully fledged Christian. I had a wonderful church through which I could serve and get fellowship, was baptised, had a healthy faith. Was all good stuff. Then 3 or so years back my family moved back to the US and I was often the sort of for-show Sunday Christian most of that time that irked me before I became a christian myself. I drifted basically. I became massively disillusioned by religion. Especially the strands of selfish, hateful, prosperity-doctrine political-religion around. I was very up and down and struggled with a lot of doubt. Then I actually renounced the whole thing. Quite caustically as well. On reflection I did that so I could justify my own selfish behavior and it was aimed at the wrong thing entirely.

Two to three months ago I came back to my faith stronger and healthier than ever. Now I'm genuinely interested in any other hidden BE Christians who might be interested in fellowship and whatnot. Those of us who've been through a good home group, bible study group or even a good Alpha course will know how valuable they are.

Last edited by Captain Cheesestick; Dec 6th 2012 at 3:32 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 3:52 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

News just in
Originally Posted by News
I'm on 'British Expats,' and I don't want to be on it," Simplex said. "You cannot be a true God-fearing person and be on a forum like that. I know I can't. I'm not OK with what I'm learning, what the Bible says, and being on that forum show. You go all or nothing.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 3:53 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Herpes is a surprising bloke.
And a masochist.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 3:54 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
And a masochist.
You're referring to the sweater?
Old Dec 6th 2012, 4:01 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

I know this thread is for Christians... but as what seems to be the only atheist in my Houston neighborhood, married to a man who is statistically likely to be the only atheist in his small town in Northern Ireland, I am actually heartened by the affectionate banter between the religious and non-religious here. As things stand, it's tough to be non-religious in Texas, especially this time of year... not because of any sort of open discrimination that I've personally suffered, but because of subtle assumptions and attitudes.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 4:02 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

You're referring to the sweater?
Yes that and the fact he's willing to "out" himself (again) on this heathen website.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 4:04 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
I know this thread is for Christians... but as what seems to be the only atheist in my Houston neighborhood, married to a man who is statistically likely to be the only atheist in his small town in Northern Ireland, I am actually heartened by the affectionate banter between the religious and non-religious here. As things stand, it's tough to be non-religious in Texas, especially this time of year... not because of any sort of open discrimination, but because of subtle assumptions and attitudes.
Where in NI is your bloke from? There are more agnostics/atheists than you think back there!

I lost my faith the first time in NI, then lost it for good here. In a church, of all places ...

Secular humanism is the way to go, IMO. I don't bear any ill will to genuine people of faith like HS. It's the dogmatic ones you want to watch out for
Old Dec 6th 2012, 4:10 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that and the fact he's willing to "out" himself (again) on this heathen website.
True, but I, for one, am a nice heathen who has worked with Christians, south of the border, who risked their lives for others because the teachings of their faith gave them those sorts of values and an imperative to act. I don't care what reasons/systems people have that make them behave exceptionally well like that, I just respect the fact that they do it at all. They want to drive Christians to do Christianity "the right way" just as I want people to behave "the right way." It's the same thing really, in that sense.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Dec 6th 2012 at 4:12 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 4:24 pm
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

I figure I've not been the boisterous sort and made many enemies on here. And people have placated my stupidity over the years. I'm harmless enough and I figured enough of you would give me some wiggle room based on me not being the fight-picking sort.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 4:27 pm
WTF?

True, but I, for one, am a nice heathen who has worked with Christians, south of the border, who risked their lives for others because the teachings of their faith gave them those sorts of values and an imperative to act. I don't care what reasons/systems people have that make them behave exceptionally well like that, I just respect the fact that they do it at all. They want to drive Christians to do Christianity "the right way" just as I want people to behave "the right way." It's the same thing really, in that sense.
Indeed.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 4:31 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex
I figure I've not been the boisterous sort and made many enemies on here. And people have placated my stupidity over the years. I'm harmless enough and I figured enough of you would give me some wiggle room based on me not being the fight-picking sort.
Oh you're boisterous enough. But you're not bombastic and we need your eccentricities. Left to our own devices we'd all kill each other or bore each other to death - or both.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 4:39 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
.. not because of any sort of open discrimination that I've personally suffered, but because of subtle assumptions and attitudes.
What assumptions and attitudes.? Can you expand on this.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 4:40 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by kimilseung
There's a bunch of pushy fuckers around, that's all. And they can be very pushy even when they're not being pushy ... if you know what I mean.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 8:29 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I am not the woman who posted this blog entry, but she and her commenters describe everything as well as or better than I could. http://freethoughtblogs.com/aronra/2...am-coming-out/

I just lost a friend because my husband voiced some opinions critical of religion while we had her and her boyfriend over for drinks. They both knew we were atheists. Something I served for dinner disagreed with her, and she spent a bad night (it did not affect the rest of us), but because I am an atheist, she told me the next day that she thought we had done it on purpose because of her religious views... after all, what would stop us, we have no moral compass. I had an ex-boss assume I was a pot smoker (I'm not) because "you're one of those godless liberals". I can't object to the e-mail sigs at work that quote Bible verses and recommend child abuse, false humility, and disregard for secular law. In fact, I went out on a limb at work by responding to someone's Thanksgiving sermonizing with this bit of humor: http://gdgdtrip.com/files/2012/12/denada.jpg) and I instantly became the underground contact for a few secular co-workers who also felt lost between the cracks. The oil industry in Houston is international, but that just means that people are protective of their differences. I have a hard enough time trying to remember which of my husband's extended family are Protestant and which Catholic, and I am not always perfect at it, and I embarrass myself. I don't want to have to deal with religious partisanship at work too. I almost got in trouble a few years ago because I chose to give to a secular charity outside of work, instead of the work-sponsored Salvation Army fundraising drive. My non-participation meant that the organizers failed to meet a 100% participation target.

But I think I've expanded enough now. You can have your thread back.

Last edited by Speedwell; Dec 6th 2012 at 8:33 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.