Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any Brit's started already?

Wikiposts

Any Brit's started already?

Old Oct 6th 2005, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Brit's started already?

When I was young my Mum used to carve a face into a swede, put a candle in and put string through it so I could carry. Me and my friends would then walk back and forward to each other houses until the swede disintegrated because of the candle. I can still remember the smell of festering swede.

I love Halloween over here, all the kids in the neighbourhood get dressed up and everyone has a great time. My daughter already has her outfit for the school Halloween party, she is going as a cowgirl. I have a huge box of decorations which will be going up this weekend. Oh, I can't wait.
Old Oct 6th 2005, 3:21 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by snowbunny
If you do, invite me.... I want to go over the pond for it, but my eldest's birthday is 4th November so a bit hard to be gone at that time of year.

AWP -- every damn holiday lasts so long around here because they are used as merchandising opportunities. Every day is therefore a holiday. The neighbours fall all over themselves to be the first with Christmas lights up. This is the first year I might actually be able to have a decent display -- not for *them* but for *me*.

Its just another Hallmark day here in paradise.
Old Oct 6th 2005, 3:22 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mandpete
When I was young my Mum used to carve a face into a swede, put a candle in and put string through it so I could carry....
But now the EU human rights said carving up nordic people was anti-european right?
Old Oct 6th 2005, 3:26 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
So this tw*t asks where I'm from when I'm facing him, big flag on my chest.
Are you from Chorlton?
Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:07 am

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Are you from Chorlton?
Just a fan of this little chap:
http://www.toonhound.com/chorlton.htm
I'm from 'tother side of the country.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:33 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Our neighbours asked what we were celebrating. I said "Blowing up parliament". After a a pause and a confused look they said "What your parliament?" I sad "Yes.

Oh come on you'll cofuse the little people. We celebrate NOT blowing up Parliament thats why we chuck Guido on the fire and persecute Catholics.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:34 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Just a fan of this little chap:
http://www.toonhound.com/chorlton.htm
I'm from 'tother side of the country.

Hello little old lady.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Thydney
Oh come on you'll cofuse the little people. We celebrate NOT blowing up Parliament thats why we chuck Guido on the fire and persecute Catholics.
I can live in hope.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:41 am
Not dead yet

I can live in hope.
Bob or no?
Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:42 am
Account Closed

Bob or no?
Sometimes Bob sometimes no. At the moment im more in a Bob phase I think. And check your PM's
Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

traceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to all

I can live in hope.
mandpete, I just had to respond as when we were kids, my mom ALSO used to carve a face in a swede and stick in a candle..never heard of this pumpkin crap till I got here!! One thing that confuses me about Haloween...isn't it supposed to be about SCARY stuff? How come all the kids here dress up as cowgirls, princesses, Britney Spears (ok, I guess she is scary)...

Thing I miss most about the UK? Sticks of rock from the seaside....

Tracey
Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:44 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Lewes, Sussex until I was 12 and was a member of a bonfire society, so my formative years consisted of burning effigies of the Pope......funny old world
Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:54 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by traceyparker1
mandpete, I just had to respond as when we were kids, my mom ALSO used to carve a face in a swede and stick in a candle..never heard of this pumpkin crap till I got here!! One thing that confuses me about Haloween...isn't it supposed to be about SCARY stuff? How come all the kids here dress up as cowgirls, princesses, Britney Spears (ok, I guess she is scary)...

Thing I miss most about the UK? Sticks of rock from the seaside....

Tracey
So as not offend people/cause heart attacks and end up with a law suit slapped on them. This is true.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I quite taken by the Clorex wipes our local Publix have installed so people can sanitise the trolley handles before touching them. I mean come on. Pleasssssee noooo moorree. NO ONE HAS YET DIED FROM SHOPPING TROLLEY BOURNE INFECTIONS. What next? Sanitising the jars and packets before taking them off the self? Dipping the dollar bills in domestos before handling them??
Our local Albertsons provides the Clorex wipes too and it's surprising to see just how many people use them. Hygiene seems to be a major issue here ... my daughter freaked out when the lady behind the cheese counter in Albertsons actually touched our produce with her bare hands ... shock, horror ... I said it was okay because she had washed her hands, but she was insistent that you have to wear plastic gloves to handle anything ... and she is only 8 years old!
Old Oct 7th 2005, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
But what about all those US mothers who go out and collect sweets with their little darlings...

... only to dump them in the bin in case they are "contaminated"!

You think I'm joking? I've seen reports of this in more than one newspaper, and seen mothers being interviewed on TV!
He he ... last year my husband had me check every single piece of candy the children collected just incase any had been tampered with!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.