Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any Brit's started already?

Wikiposts

Any Brit's started already?

Old Oct 6th 2005, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any Brit's started already?

With all this decoration melarky, Fall stuff, Halloween, Thanksgiveing, then there will be the OTT tacky Christmas decoration's, left out till end of January. Is it just me that finds it all a tad bit childish. Sorry just had to be said
Old Oct 6th 2005, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Brit's started already?

Originally Posted by britvic
With all this decoration melarky, Fall stuff, Halloween, Thanksgiveing, then there will be the OTT tacky Christmas decoration's, left out till end of January. Is it just me that finds it all a tad bit childish. Sorry just had to be said
Well last year (my first here) I thought the whole thing with decorations was ridiculous but now I have to say I'm really excited about getting loads of dangly spiders and stuff for Halloween (I do have a 2 year old though)..
We also had an 8 foot inflatable snowman in the front garden last Christmas although this was just to embarrass my 13 year old daughter..
Seriously though I think its fab that people go to such effort unlike all the miserable sods back in England that don't even bother answering the door on Halloween, I shall be getting involved along with the rest of my community, when in Rome and all that..
Old Oct 6th 2005, 11:37 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by woodsey
I shall be getting involved along with the rest of my community, when in Rome and all that..
I have just purchased the French maids outfit for you ..
Old Oct 6th 2005, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
I have just purchased the French maids outfit for you ..
excellent, the skirting boards do need a good dust..
Old Oct 6th 2005, 11:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Well last year (my first here) I thought the whole thing with decorations was ridiculous but now I have to say I'm really excited about getting loads of dangly spiders and stuff for Halloween (I do have a 2 year old though)..
We also had an 8 foot inflatable snowman in the front garden last Christmas although this was just to embarrass my 13 year old daughter..
Seriously though I think its fab that people go to such effort unlike all the miserable sods back in England that don't even bother answering the door on Halloween, I shall be getting involved along with the rest of my community, when in Rome and all that..
I just find it a bit awkward knocking on stranger's door's, were'nt we as kid's told never to take sweet's off stranger's, after all you dont really know all your neighbour's.
Old Oct 6th 2005, 12:04 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

after all you dont really know all your neighbour's.
True, you never really know if its a real devil worshipper
Old Oct 6th 2005, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

I just find it a bit awkward knocking on stranger's door's, were'nt we as kid's told never to take sweet's off stranger's, after all you dont really know all your neighbour's.
I did too but apparantly if the porch light or any outside light is on then you're very welcome to knock, most people on our street last year answered the door in costume, hell the guy up the road even had his dog dressed in a witches outfit complete with pointy hat..
Some who didn't want to keep answering the door or people who were out with their kids trick or treating actually put massive dishes out on the doorstep full of sweets, I did witness kids only taking a few as well (my son did try to take the whole dish ) imagine that in England, they wouldn't last 30 seconds..
Old Oct 6th 2005, 12:16 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Stupid Halloween

Oh well, I guess it's better than some unwashed little street urchin with grubby little outstretched hand yelling "7 pound fifty for the guy Mr?
Old Oct 6th 2005, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I did too but apparantly if the porch light or any outside light is on then you're very welcome to knock, most people on our street last year answered the door in costume, hell the guy up the road even had his dog dressed in a witches outfit complete with pointy hat..
Some who didn't want to keep answering the door or people who were out with their kids trick or treating actually put massive dishes out on the doorstep full of sweets, I did witness kids only taking a few as well (my son did try to take the whole dish ) imagine that in England, they wouldn't last 30 seconds..
Well that all sound's very nice whare you live
Old Oct 6th 2005, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rushman
Stupid Halloween

Oh well, I guess it's better than some unwashed little street urchin with grubby little outstretched hand yelling "7 pound fifty for the guy Mr?
And how long have you been gone? I have not seen that back home since I was a kid, yes of course the guy on the bonfire but that's about all
Old Oct 6th 2005, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

And how long have you been gone? I have not seen that back home since I was a kid, yes of course the guy on the bonfire but that's about all
Kids were doing it only last year in Kingston, Surrey. I saw it every year, never really noticed a decline.
Old Oct 6th 2005, 1:56 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone here try to celebrate Bonfire Night?? Do you save fireworks from that July thing they celebrate here?
I never did the Halloween thing in the UK. To me it was always all about scary movies, but I'm not sure I missed out on all that much.
Old Oct 6th 2005, 1:58 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Why does halloween last a whole month here?
Old Oct 6th 2005, 2:00 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Anyone here try to celebrate Bonfire Night?? Do you save fireworks from that July thing they celebrate here?
I never did the Halloween thing in the UK. To me it was always all about scary movies, but I'm not sure I missed out on all that much.
We did bonfire night last year, not long after we got here. Our neighbours asked what we were celebrating. I said "Blowing up parliament". After a a pause and a confused look they said "What your parliament?" I sad "Yes. And next week we're celebrating blowing up yours."....They didnt speak to me for a month afterwards and I was probably tagged by the FBI for a while but hey, ho you live n learn.
Old Oct 6th 2005, 2:13 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
"Yes. And next week we're celebrating blowing up yours."....
Classic.
I've always talked about flying a 4' Union Jack from the house on Independence Day. I've haven't had the bottle yet though....Maybe I will try a little bonfire night

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.