Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any Brits moving to NYC this year?

Any Brits moving to NYC this year?

Old Jan 19th 2013, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

NYC_bound is a jewel in the roughNYC_bound is a jewel in the roughNYC_bound is a jewel in the roughNYC_bound is a jewel in the roughNYC_bound is a jewel in the rough
Default Any Brits moving to NYC this year?

I'm moving from London in April/May. Would be great to swap stories with anyone else making plans.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

Ieuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to all
Default Re: Any Brits moving to NYC this year?

Trying my hardest too!

Have money, need the know-how now

How long are you going for?
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 8:23 am
Just Joined

NYC_bound is a jewel in the roughNYC_bound is a jewel in the roughNYC_bound is a jewel in the roughNYC_bound is a jewel in the roughNYC_bound is a jewel in the rough

A two-year transfer, heading over mid-May. VERY nervous. Good luck with your search.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 11:47 pm
Just Joined

James in NYC is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved around a week ago and start work on Monday. As soon as I arrived it felt great to be here.

Although I am a total newbie feel free to ask anything at all.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 10:52 am
Just Joined

Thanks James - very reassuring to hear it's going so well.

Has your employer set you up with accommodation or are you doing that yourself? I get a month, then have to throw myself to the brokers.

Best of luck for Monday!
Old Mar 16th 2013, 11:27 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Any Brits moving to NYC this year?

You newbies may want to check out Big Apple Brits which is a social association for mainly young British expats:

http://bigapplebrits.com/about-us/
Old Mar 16th 2013, 11:52 am
Just Joined

James in NYC is an unknown quantity at this point

I was offered up to 30 days accommodation but decided I would rather take the cash alternative and stay in a hotel the first week and try and find an apartment asap. It's pretty stressful but for me it works out cheaper than serviced apartments for 30 days.

I decided to focus my search on Astoria as you get much more for your money, there are some nice bars and restaurants and it's easy to get into Manhattan. The brokers I have met have all been really helpful and I guess you just need a bit of luck to find the right place (hopefully I have). It is expensive though with deposit, 1st month rent and broker fees.

Have you selected an area for your apartment search? I used a mixture of hotpads.com and craigslist for my initial research.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Englishmum!

James, yes, it is so expensive! I'm looking at the East Village/LES - thinking I might share with one other to get a slightly bigger place. Craigslist and Naked Apartments have been good to look at. Airbnb is also brilliant (and can be cheap) for short term stays.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

njmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nice

Originally Posted by NYC_bound
Thanks James - very reassuring to hear it's going so well.

Has your employer set you up with accommodation or are you doing that yourself? I get a month, then have to throw myself to the brokers.

Best of luck for Monday!
I can help you with the new place. I work in real estate and can help you find something if needed.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

digbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to all

Originally Posted by njmackem
I can help you with the new place. I work in real estate and can help you find something if needed.
What areas are you selling real estate?
Old Mar 17th 2013, 8:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by njmackem
May be best to take this to PM. While you cannot advertise your business/services on the forums...you may put a link to your website in your signature.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

AndFinally is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been in NY on and off for the last 3 years and now I'm getting transferred .. I live in Midtown West!