British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Any Brits moving to NYC this year? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/any-brits-moving-nyc-year-784361/)

NYC_bound Jan 19th 2013 12:22 pm

Any Brits moving to NYC this year?

I'm moving from London in April/May. Would be great to swap stories with anyone else making plans.

Ieuan Feb 19th 2013 1:46 am

Re: Any Brits moving to NYC this year?

Trying my hardest too!

Have money, need the know-how now :)

How long are you going for?

NYC_bound Mar 2nd 2013 8:23 am

A two-year transfer, heading over mid-May. VERY nervous. Good luck with your search.

James in NYC Mar 15th 2013 11:47 pm

I moved around a week ago and start work on Monday. As soon as I arrived it felt great to be here.

Although I am a total newbie feel free to ask anything at all.

NYC_bound Mar 16th 2013 10:52 am

Thanks James - very reassuring to hear it's going so well.

Has your employer set you up with accommodation or are you doing that yourself? I get a month, then have to throw myself to the brokers.

Best of luck for Monday!

Englishmum Mar 16th 2013 11:27 am

You newbies may want to check out Big Apple Brits which is a social association for mainly young British expats:

http://bigapplebrits.com/about-us/

James in NYC Mar 16th 2013 11:52 am

I was offered up to 30 days accommodation but decided I would rather take the cash alternative and stay in a hotel the first week and try and find an apartment asap. It's pretty stressful but for me it works out cheaper than serviced apartments for 30 days.

I decided to focus my search on Astoria as you get much more for your money, there are some nice bars and restaurants and it's easy to get into Manhattan. The brokers I have met have all been really helpful and I guess you just need a bit of luck to find the right place (hopefully I have). It is expensive though with deposit, 1st month rent and broker fees.

Have you selected an area for your apartment search? I used a mixture of hotpads.com and craigslist for my initial research.

NYC_bound Mar 16th 2013 12:45 pm

Thanks Englishmum!

James, yes, it is so expensive! I'm looking at the East Village/LES - thinking I might share with one other to get a slightly bigger place. Craigslist and Naked Apartments have been good to look at. Airbnb is also brilliant (and can be cheap) for short term stays.

njmackem Mar 17th 2013 1:16 am

Originally Posted by NYC_bound (Post 10607007)
Thanks James - very reassuring to hear it's going so well.

Has your employer set you up with accommodation or are you doing that yourself? I get a month, then have to throw myself to the brokers.

Best of luck for Monday!

I can help you with the new place. I work in real estate and can help you find something if needed.

digbydog Mar 17th 2013 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by njmackem (Post 10608035)
I can help you with the new place. I work in real estate and can help you find something if needed.

What areas are you selling real estate?

Jerseygirl Mar 17th 2013 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by njmackem (Post 10608035)

May be best to take this to PM. ;) While you cannot advertise your business/services on the forums...you may put a link to your website in your signature.

AndFinally Mar 24th 2013 12:37 am

I have been in NY on and off for the last 3 years and now I'm getting transferred .. I live in Midtown West!